Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

British Citizenship?

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quick question that I was hoping someone could advise on. Until recently I was under the impression that I am a British Citizen of Irish Nationality. I've lived here since I was a year old, so I've kind of always just taken the citizenship thing as an assumption. Recently it's occurred to me through random web browsing that this might not be (in fact probably isn't) the case. I feel a little stupid having to ask this, but it's the kind of thing that doesn't really come up in everyday life!

A little about me (feel free to ask if the correct info isn't provided);

Irish Passport
    Born in Ireland (Republic of) to two Irish parents
    No English relatives (although my two younger sisters were born here)
    Moved here in 1991 at the grand old age of one
    Just finished University here, soon to be working here
    Have things such as a British driving licence and a National Insurance number

So my questions are;

A) Am I actually an Irish citizen?
    B) If so, what would the procedure be to become a British Citizen given my circumstances?
    C) Is there actually any benefit in me being a British Citizen just because I live/work here?

I appreciate any advise that TSR can provide
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    A) I always figured that if you had a passport from X country, you were a citizen of that country? Not sure though. Does it say in your passport? My passport explicitly says I'm a "British Citizen".

B) Not sure, probably quite straight forward. Pretty sure you'd qualify with no questions asked other than perhaps where you've been living.

C) Pretty much none at all. Irish citizens have all the same rights British ones do, like full voting rights, you could even become an MP.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Quick question that I was hoping someone could advise on. Until recently I was under the impression that I am a British Citizen of Irish Nationality. I've lived here since I was a year old, so I've kind of always just taken the citizenship thing as an assumption. Recently it's occurred to me through random web browsing that this might not be (in fact probably isn't) the case. I feel a little stupid having to ask this, but it's the kind of thing that doesn't really come up in everyday life!

Irish Passport

So my questions are;

B) If so, what would the procedure be to become a British Citizen given my circumstances?
    C) Is there actually any benefit in me being a British Citizen just because I live/work here?

Hey I am an Irish Citizen aswell and moved to the UK when I was two years old.

A) Yes if you have an Irish passport you are an Irish Citizen.

B)This is from Wikipedia "Irish citizens seeking to become British citizens are usually required to live in the UK and become naturalised after meeting the normal residence and other requirements, unless they can claim British citizenship by descent from a UK born or naturalised parent." This website should detail the criteria and application process for you http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

C)Well as an Irish Citizen you basically have basically have the same rights as a British Citizen has. You can join the army, vote in general elections become a Member of Parliament etc... so you can get along quite nicely without it. However if you can afford the £851 for naturalisation I would do it as it gives you that additional security, because you never know what can happen in this crazy world.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

Irish Passport

So my questions are;

YES - if you hold an Irish passport.
    You have to apply, and you have to work here for at least 4 years. But because you have lived here since you were 1, perhaps your parents can apply for the whole family. (assuming they have worked here for 4+years). Form is on the Home Office website.
    No, there are no benefits. You are already an EU citizen. Any 'benefits' a British citizen gets, you get as well since Ireland is part of the EU. However, having a British passport might make it easier to travel abroad of commonwealth countries.

See above.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

(Original post by Polka Dot)

(Original post by yothi5)
    Hi guys, thanks for your advise. Very helpful!

Having done some further research I'm now sure that I'm classified as an Irish citizen, although apparently it is perfectly possible to have an Irish passport (nationality) and British citizenship. I'd keep my nationality (Irish passport) even if I did do the naturalisation process to become a British citizen apparently.

It seems like I'm as well to just stick with the status quo. Doesn't seem like there's much benefit in changing it, but at least I now know for sure which one I am
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Hi guys, thanks for your advise. Very helpful!

Having done some further research I'm now sure that I'm classified as an Irish citizen, although apparently it is perfectly possible to have an Irish passport (nationality) and British citizenship. I'd keep my nationality (Irish passport) even if I did do the naturalisation process to become a British citizen apparently.

It seems like I'm as well to just stick with the status quo. Doesn't seem like there's much benefit in changing it, but at least I now know for sure which one I am
    Yeah, it's called dual nationality.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's called dual nationality.
    Oh? Perhaps I'm still not fully understanding this then lol. I was under the impression that you don't need to have British Nationality in order to have British Citizenship?

Either way, moot point as I'm going to leave it all alone
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    See above.
    I don't think your point C is entirely accurate, although it wouldn't effect the op. EU citizens can't vote in general elections but Irish citizens are an exception. So yes the op would get all those rights, but not just because he's an EU citizen, there are special allowances for Irish citizens.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am an Irish Citizen aswell and moved to the UK when I was two years old.

A) Yes if you have an Irish passport you are an Irish Citizen.

B)This is from Wikipedia "Irish citizens seeking to become British citizens are usually required to live in the UK and become naturalised after meeting the normal residence and other requirements, unless they can claim British citizenship by descent from a UK born or naturalised parent." This website should detail the criteria and application process for you http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/

C)Well as an Irish Citizen you basically have basically have the same rights as a British Citizen has. You can join the army, vote in general elections become a Member of Parliament etc... so you can get along quite nicely without it. However if you can afford the £851 for naturalisation I would do it as it gives you that additional security, because you never know what can happen in this crazy world.
    I find it utterly ironic and hypocrite to the idea of patriotism that by paying a sum of money you become "naturalised".
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chronist)
    I find it utterly ironic and hypocrite to the idea of patriotism that by paying a sum of money you become "naturalised".
    That's not the only requirement though. It's not like anyone can pay the money and become a British citizen. You need to have lived in the UK a number of years and have integrated yourself into UK life. Obviously the OP has done that, so the money is the only hurdle. Not that the OP has any need to become a British citizen.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    No, you are Irish and have the exact same rights as the British that were born within the UK... you have more rights in general than those form the EU. Trying to apply for British citizenship is quite frankly a waste of time due to you being Irish, you are basically already a British citizen.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well what your paying for is the application fee, your application is only accepted if you meet the criteria specified.
    e.g - You have lived in UK for 5 years
    - Pass security checks
    - Pass the life in the Uk test etc..

I myself have not been naturalised even though I have been here for 18 years. I would like to be naturalise eventually as I feel more British than anything else and am more patriotic then some people I know who are born brits, but unfortunately the price is a bit steep. But fortunately the close anglo-irish relationship means I can do just about everything a Brit can do,
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I myself have not been naturalised even though I have been here for 18 years. I would like to be naturalise eventually as I feel more British than anything else and am more patriotic then some people I know who are born brits, but unfortunately the price is a bit steep. But fortunately the close anglo-irish relationship means I can do just about everything a Brit can do,
    Out of interest, what can't you do as an Irish citizen that you could as a British one?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well what your paying for is the application fee, your application is only accepted if you meet the criteria specified.
    e.g - You have lived in UK for 5 years
    - Pass security checks
    - Pass the life in the Uk test etc..

Those kind of tests are utterly stupid. More British? What is Britishness (or Italiness, Americaness, etc) anyway?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    . More British? What is Britishness (or Italiness, Americaness, etc) anyway?
    When I say more british I mean that I feel a stronger cultural, historical and political attatchment to Britain than I do to elsewhere.

What is Britishness (or Italiness, Americaness, etc) anyway?
    "Britishness is the state or quality of being British, or of embodying British characteristics, and is used to refer to that which binds and distinguishes the British people and forms the basis of their unity and identity, or else to explain expressions of British culture—such as habits, behaviours or symbols—that have a common, familiar or iconic quality readily identifiable with the United Kingdom."

Wikipedia

Those kind of tests are utterly stupid.
    I suppose they might be, but you have to set criteria for citizenship to be able to effectively run a nation. How would you do it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Out of interest, what can't you do as an Irish citizen that you could as a British one?
    Hmm.. not really sure about that.. I dont think I can represent Great Britain in the Olympics or other sporting competitions, some jobs in weapons technology like at MBDA require UK passports also some things are a little harder to do, like joining the Army Irish citizens have to go through extra security clearance because of the whole republican terrorism thing. But other than that I don't think the is anything else.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 31, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.