The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:facepalm: I didn't realise there were 22 episodes in the Clannad After Story :K: I thought it stopped when Tomoya decided not to talk to Nagisa... the last episode is very touching though
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
I think it went OK thanks, but again I find myself worrying about how easily I could have dropped a mark here and there since it's a subjective paper, perhaps adding up to put me below the A boundary.

Well, a two week break before A2 Maths for me. Still awesome though.

That's good to know! Yes..I know how you feel in that respect, the mark schemes on three of my four subjects vary regarding how arbitrary they are, but it's still enough to be a bit of a worry. Might as well enjoy the break instead of thinking though.

I had no idea you were doing A2 Maths. It doesn't surprise me, but good luck. How're you feeling about that?
Original post by Llewellyn
:facepalm: I didn't realise there were 22 episodes in the Clannad After Story :K: I thought it stopped when Tomoya decided not to talk to Nagisa... the last episode is very touching though

Oh dear - I loved the ending so much.
I'd have been heartbroken if it had stopped at 22!
Original post by Coco_94
That's good to know! Yes..I know how you feel in that respect, the mark schemes on three of my four subjects vary regarding how arbitrary they are, but it's still enough to be a bit of a worry. Might as well enjoy the break instead of thinking though.

I had no idea you were doing A2 Maths. It doesn't surprise me, but good luck. How're you feeling about that?

Of course I do, I'm doing Further Maths. Thanks a lot though. I'm feeling confident about C3 and confident that I can become consistently good at C4 over the next 3 weeks. I'll still be terrified on the day though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh dear - I loved the ending so much.
I'd have been heartbroken if it had stopped at 22!
I spent forever regarding it as the most heartbreaking story ever. It's sort of refreshing to know they got their happy ending.

I don't know what it is about Clannad. There are no epic scenes or stereotypical shows of affection, but there's something that is so human about it all. Maybe it was the characters, or the music, or all of it, but it's the most powerful story I've ever seen on TV.

Also, I'm kind of annoyed at English. I think the translations aren't completely accurate... e.g. take "kimi dake wo" in the opening song, it doesn't really mean "you were the one", there isn't a literal translation into English. The closest would probably be "it was only ever you"; as in nothing else existed but "you" [to the singer]. But the phonetics also convey a sort of raw attachment and pure longing. The second "kimi dake wo" actually has a different meaning because it is pronounced slightly differently. But English really sucks at conveying ideas like that sometimes.

Just like in French "tu me manque" isn't "I miss you", that isn't completely accurate. The true meaning of those words would be "you create inside me a feeling of loss", but that doesn't really make sense in English. That's somewhat similar to what happens in Japanese and many other languages, but English doesn't really pass on the true meaning or feelings behind the words, which makes me sad.

I want to learn Japanese so I can appreciate some of the language better, but then to be honest I don't really have enough free time to be watching so many shows/ series, let alone learn another language...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3665
Original post by Maths_Lover
:five: Awwwwww. :console: Ironing takes up so much time - thank goodness for the "reduce creases" button on the washing machine! :rofl:

Yes - I'm quite lucky when I think about it like that. :smile:

:awesome: It is! The messier the environment, the more it saddens me. I work best when the place is sparkling. :colone:

Aaaaaah. Encourage them to buy fresh produce or at least not processed foods and then you can experiment! It's so much fun. :ahee: Then you can cook healthy meals and encourage everyone to keep fit. :colone: These days, I basically control a lot of what is bought - my mum asks me what she should buy at the supermarket. :colone:

:ahee:

Indeed! :lol:
Me too! My sister's bedroom is always a tip but I can't work if there's stuff everywhere or it needs hoovering :yep:
I do say that, but we get the £1 ready meals and stuff like that because it's cheaper :/

Give me some!

Say please :tongue:

Maybe you're just a sour linguistic lemon :shakecane:

:emo:
Reply 3666
Also, I am reading Freakonomics and it is really interesting! :ahee:
Original post by Etoile

What does it explore?
Reply 3668
Original post by Coco_94
What does it explore?

What motivates people to cheat, how information is powerful, how conventional wisdom is a load of rubbish, some stuff about crime, whether parents matter. :yep:
Original post by Etoile
What motivates people to cheat, how information is powerful, how conventional wisdom is a load of rubbish, some stuff about crime, whether parents matter. :yep:

This sounds interesting. Ohh the information part sounds especially interesting..
On parents - I remember reading a Psych article by Judith Rich Harris and watching a presentation by our beloved Pinker on the very matter. Pretty interesting, and whilst maybe not surprising when you look at it - in fact it's not even counter-intuitive - it's just amazing how strong this misconception is.
Original post by Etoile

"Which is more dangerous: a gun or a swimming pool?" :holmes:
People of TSR
I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics at the moment, intending to do Chemical Engineering at Uni, at first I wanted to drop Physics at A2 but after the murderous AQA maths exams this summer I'm worried I won't be able to get a B in further maths if I kept it on. (I'm aiming for a B)

So I was wondering what would be better to keep, physics or further maths for chemical engineering? Having looked at typical offers only maths and chemistry are compulsory and most universities only require a third science, indifferent of what science it is.

Help?
Reply 3672
Meeting up with my friends is difficult.

Friend: Asks if I want to join up with the rest of them.
Me: Where are we meeting?
Friend: *Gives the name of the town I live in*
Me: Whereabouts
Friend:.....
Original post by kasiasunshine
People of TSR
I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics at the moment, intending to do Chemical Engineering at Uni, at first I wanted to drop Physics at A2 but after the murderous AQA maths exams this summer I'm worried I won't be able to get a B in further maths if I kept it on. (I'm aiming for a B)

So I was wondering what would be better to keep, physics or further maths for chemical engineering? Having looked at typical offers only maths and chemistry are compulsory and most universities only require a third science, indifferent of what science it is.

Help?
Physics.

Although whichever you will do better in is probably the wiser choice.
Reply 3674
"Which is more dangerous: a gun or a swimming pool?" :holmes:

My favourite sentence so far is "the answer may lie in... bagels." :teehee:

Original post by Coco_94
This sounds interesting. Ohh the information part sounds especially interesting..
On parents - I remember reading a Psych article by Judith Rich Harris and watching a presentation by our beloved Pinker on the very matter. Pretty interesting, and whilst maybe not surprising when you look at it - in fact it's not even counter-intuitive - it's just amazing how strong this misconception is.

Get it out the library, that's what I did this morning :biggrin:
Which misconception sorry?

Original post by wcp100
Meeting up with my friends is difficult.

Friend: Asks if I want to join up with the rest of them.
Me: Where are we meeting?
Friend: *Gives the name of the town I live in*
Me: Whereabouts
Friend:.....

:rofl:
Original post by Etoile
Get it out the library, that's what I did this morning :biggrin:
Which misconception sorry?

Vikings first. :teehee:
The ultimate significance of parents, especially as children develop in later years. How there's somewhat too much of an emphasis on it and them!
Reply 3676
Original post by Etoile

Book rules, sequel's worth reading too.

'Sup
I spent forever regarding it as the most heartbreaking story ever. It's sort of refreshing to know they got their happy ending.

I don't know what it is about Clannad. There are no epic scenes or stereotypical shows of affection, but there's something that is so human about it all. Maybe it was the characters, or the music, or all of it, but it's the most powerful story I've ever seen on TV.

Also, I'm kind of annoyed at English. I think the translations aren't completely accurate... e.g. take "kimi dake wo" in the opening song, it doesn't really mean "you were the one", there isn't a literal translation into English. The closest would probably be "it was only ever you"; as in nothing else existed but "you" [to the singer]. But the phonetics also convey a sort of raw attachment and pure longing. The second "kimi dake wo" actually has a different meaning because it is pronounced slightly differently. But English really sucks at conveying ideas like that sometimes.

Just like in French "tu me manque" isn't "I miss you", that isn't completely accurate. The true meaning of those words would be "you create inside me a feeling of loss", but that doesn't really make sense in English. That's somewhat similar to what happens in Japanese and many other languages, but English doesn't really pass on the true meaning or feelings behind the words, which makes me sad.

I want to learn Japanese so I can appreciate some of the language better, but then to be honest I don't really have enough free time to be watching so many shows/ series, let alone learn another language...

I really liked the ending. I even understand it now! (It's not as deus ex machina as it seems).
I don't really know what it is either. Well, the art style was really nice, more human and 'natural' than a lot of shows but also very special. I think it's the character development, and some of the music as well. Part of the reason it's so special could be because there aren't many stereotypical displays of affection, and yet they're still so in love.
I know what you mean, I've always wanted to learn Japanese too.
Original post by Etoile

It's quite an interesting book, I agree.
Reply 3679
Original post by Coco_94
Vikings first. :teehee:
The ultimate significance of parents, especially as children develop in later years. How there's somewhat too much of an emphasis on it and them!

Always :teehee:
I agree- it's not all nurture!

Original post by adamstandage
Book rules, sequel's worth reading too.

'Sup

Awesome, I will get that out next then :smile: Are you an economist?

It's quite an interesting book, I agree.

Can you recommend any other books about economics?

Latest