The Student Room Group

As Level options for medicine

Hi, I want to study medicine and I was wondering what people thought the best combination of As levels are. Taking 5 As levels and dropping 1 or 2, or taking 4 right through to A2 etc. I have put down to take Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths but I don't know whether I am focusing too much on maths and science. Would it be better for me to take a subject like history to vary things?

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me :smile:
There's no real need to "vary things" if you're happy with 3 Sciences and Maths.

There's also no real point in taking 5 subjects, universities never ask for more than 4 and you're just reducing the likelihood of achieving the best grades possible.
Reply 2
I did bio, chem, physics and maths at AS as well as General Studies as the school made us, I dropped Gen Stud and Physics and Im the proud holder of an offer for Glasgow! In my opinion definitely do chemistry and maths, and i would recommend biology, but physics isnt required so do something your good at and enjoy so you will get a good grade!
I have a friend who is doing Bio, Chem and French and got offers too!
Hope this helps a little!
Reply 3
Original post by bex.13
I did bio, chem, physics and maths at AS as well as General Studies as the school made us, I dropped Gen Stud and Physics and Im the proud holder of an offer for Glasgow! In my opinion definitely do chemistry and maths, and i would recommend biology, but physics isnt required so do something your good at and enjoy so you will get a good grade!
I have a friend who is doing Bio, Chem and French and got offers too!
Hope this helps a little!

Thanks :smile: do you think taking 4 subjects through to A2 would be beneficial?
Reply 4
Original post by Partyboy
Thanks :smile: do you think taking 4 subjects through to A2 would be beneficial?

I see absolutely no point in doing four through to A2, every single open day there were poncy kids saying oh am I advantaged for doing 4 and they all say NO!
Your offers will be based on 3 so concentrate on those so as you do better as your efforts are more focused! The only thing they say is a fourth AS and most dont care about the grade in that!
Reply 5
it depends on your academic ability tbh. most universities will ask for Chemistry, Biology and 1 other subject of your choice unless your want to apply to Oxford/Cambridge as they ask for the 3 sciences. if you're happy with doing the 3 sciences and maths then do it but don't do it if you think that's what universities require of you. if you want to vary your subjects like you mention then you can.
Reply 6
Original post by bex.13
I see absolutely no point in doing four through to A2, every single open day there were poncy kids saying oh am I advantaged for doing 4 and they all say NO!
Your offers will be based on 3 so concentrate on those so as you do better as your efforts are more focused! The only thing they say is a fourth AS and most dont care about the grade in that!

Well i don't think i'm a 'poncy' kid so i will stick with doing 4 and dropping 1 at As haha :tongue: I know there's more to getting offers than just grades anyway so i will concentrate on voluntary work, UKCAT, BMAT etc. How much voluntary did you do? I have already done 2 weeks at a hosptical but i know i will need to do a lot more, should i do lots of 2 week slots in different hospitals or shall i just volunteer in local charity shops and stuff? :s
Reply 7
Original post by Sapphire33
it depends on your academic ability tbh. most universities will ask for Chemistry, Biology and 1 other subject of your choice unless your want to apply to Oxford/Cambridge as they ask for the 3 sciences. if you're happy with doing the 3 sciences and maths then do it but don't do it if you think that's what universities require of you. if you want to vary your subjects like you mention then you can.

I love maths so i was going to do that through to A2, would i be disadvantaged applying to oxford/cambridge if I did say Maths, Chemistry and Biology to A2? As apposed to Bio, Chem and Physics?
Reply 8
Well i don't think i'm a 'poncy' kid so i will stick with doing 4 and dropping 1 at As haha :tongue: I know there's more to getting offers than just grades anyway so i will concentrate on voluntary work, UKCAT, BMAT etc. How much voluntary did you do? I have already done 2 weeks at a hosptical but i know i will need to do a lot more, should i do lots of 2 week slots in different hospitals or shall i just volunteer in local charity shops and stuff? :s

Good choice! I didnt mean to offend anyone there, but there were so many people in suits with mummy and daddy being doctors and their private schools and all that!!
I have volunteered for a year and a half at a Mencap group, and I did a three week summer camp with a related group too! I had 2 weeks hospital experience and that is all! I would say quality over quantity, and it doesnt have to be a hospital! At my interview for Glasgow they were very keen on asking questions about the mencap stuff! I would say a long term thing is a great plan as it shows great commitment and the ability to build relationships with people!!
Good Luck
Oh and the UKCAT is only really hard because of the time thing, but I would say do it fairly early (August-ish) which gives you the summer to revise and then plenty of time to tailor your choices to the results you get! :biggrin:
I love maths so i was going to do that through to A2, would i be disadvantaged applying to oxford/cambridge if I did say Maths, Chemistry and Biology to A2? As apposed to Bio, Chem and Physics?

No, not at all, Maths is considered a science too.

I'd advise not doing Physics if you also do Maths, Bio and Chem, I've see a lot of people struggle with it
Reply 10
Original post by bex.13
Good choice! I didnt mean to offend anyone there, but there were so many people in suits with mummy and daddy being doctors and their private schools and all that!!
I have volunteered for a year and a half at a Mencap group, and I did a three week summer camp with a related group too! I had 2 weeks hospital experience and that is all! I would say quality over quantity, and it doesnt have to be a hospital! At my interview for Glasgow they were very keen on asking questions about the mencap stuff! I would say a long term thing is a great plan as it shows great commitment and the ability to build relationships with people!!
Good Luck
Oh and the UKCAT is only really hard because of the time thing, but I would say do it fairly early (August-ish) which gives you the summer to revise and then plenty of time to tailor your choices to the results you get! :biggrin:

Haha, when I did my work experience at a hospital the question everyone asked was 'so is medicine in the family?' And everyone seemed shocked when i said no!! Thanks for the advice too! I will just do as much voluntary as i can, i am doing DofE which could involve eighteen more months of voluntary work so that should be alright :smile: I hope you mean the august after i do my As levels...
Reply 11
Original post by Helloworld_95
No, not at all, Maths is considered a science too.

I'd advise not doing Physics if you also do Maths, Bio and Chem, I've see a lot of people struggle with it

I love all the sciences though! and i have started my Maths As level already so i will finish it in the january of year thirteen, which will leave me with only 2 subjects to do in the summer so i will be able to concentrate on them more
Reply 12
Haha, when I did my work experience at a hospital the question everyone asked was 'so is medicine in the family?' And everyone seemed shocked when i said no!! Thanks for the advice too! I will just do as much voluntary as i can, i am doing DofE which could involve eighteen more months of voluntary work so that should be alright :smile: I hope you mean the august after i do my As levels...

Haha! Yeah that August! Didnt mean to scare you there :smile: Yeah, the volunteering with DofE will help! Good luck, I really hope you get in! The most stressful part of it all is when all your friends are getting offers and you have heard diddly squat! Good things really do come to those who wait!! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by bex.13
Haha! Yeah that August! Didnt mean to scare you there :smile: Yeah, the volunteering with DofE will help! Good luck, I really hope you get in! The most stressful part of it all is when all your friends are getting offers and you have heard diddly squat! Good things really do come to those who wait!! :biggrin:

Well all my friends are leaving school this year so i'll have a lonely 2 years studying haha :tongue: thanks anyway, its nice when someone gives you genuine advice :smile:
Reply 14
hey guys, was wondering, how do i know the As level requirements to apply to different unis for med? cant seem to find anything specifically on As levels, just overall A levels. Is there a website for it?
Thankss xx
Reply 15
Original post by einstein2
hey guys, was wondering, how do i know the As level requirements to apply to different unis for med? cant seem to find anything specifically on As levels, just overall A levels. Is there a website for it?
Thankss xx

The UCAS website has it all, if you look at the course, then click entry profile and entry requirements, it has all the information you need! Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by bex.13
Good Luck

Do you actually NEED that much work experience? I know everybody always has it, but someone i know is applying next year (year 12 now) and he doesn't have anything. Is it neccessary to have that much? If yeah, i guess i'll have to tell him he has no hope...
Original post by einstein2
Thankss xx

There aren't any set AS requirements, except for ICL and UCL who ask for a B and and E at AS respectively alongside your 3A's at A2
Original post by user1-4
Do you actually NEED that much work experience? I know everybody always has it, but someone i know is applying next year (year 12 now) and he doesn't have anything. Is it neccessary to have that much? If yeah, i guess i'll have to tell him he has no hope...

You need at least some as you have to have learnt from work experience about the duties of a doctor. Without work experience you have no chance in hell of getting a place, and it's a bit late to apply now.
Reply 18
Original post by user1-4

You dont need excessive amounts, but you DO need some to show that you have explored a career in medicine and that you can actually work with people, some Uni's are more lenient than others, but if you dont have any then you kinda need to write in your personal statement about why you have zilch work experience!
Reply 19
Original post by Helloworld_95

You need at least some as you have to have learnt from work experience about the duties of a doctor. Without work experience you have no chance in hell of getting a place, and it's a bit late to apply now.

Original post by bex.13
You dont need excessive amounts, but you DO need some to show that you have explored a career in medicine and that you can actually work with people, some Uni's are more lenient than others, but if you dont have any then you kinda need to write in your personal statement about why you have zilch work experience!

alright it isn't for me anyway. I have one week work experience, so i'm alright.
I guess I'll tell the guy to go look for some other career.

Quick Reply

Latest