The Student Room Group

AQA Theatre Studies AS exam 21/05

There isn't a thread for this exam! I've looked everywhere :frown: So here, for anyone taking the exam tomorrow, share your worries, get help, ask questions, last minute revision tips, whatever you want :smile:
Reply 1
Heyy, I did this exam today, can we talk about it yet? :smile:
Reply 2
WOW ONE PERSON :') Cannot believe the lack of candidates for this exam! sure :smile: How did you do?
I answered on the Taming of the Shrew in the second paper and wrote outside the specified acts :'( so I royally screwed up. Fortunately though, my productions question went well so I'm hoping that plus the practical might save my grade :smile:
I liked this paper! I answered the brilliantly vague question on how performers used emotions and discussed a Liverpool Playhouse production of 'A Streetcar Named Desire' (which was perfect for the question - luckily, as I only had two sets of notes!)

And then for the second question I answered the performance question from A Doll's House (groan) where as a male I had to talk about how I would play Nora (further groan) - but fingers crossed it went well for us all! :smile:
Reply 4
I answered the same question for the first paper! I used 'One Man, Two Guvnors' (yes, I got to write about James Corden in an exam :biggrin:) that I saw in the Manchester Lowry, so easy because it was a Commedia del'Arte adaptation so everything was exaggerated!

Then I answered the Taming of the Shrew question about Gremio, virtually nothing to write because he had like 7 lines in the acts we were prescribed to write about and I went over the boundaries :frown: We were supposed to write about Act 1 scenes 1 and 2 and about two thirds of my answer was about Act 2 scene 1 (you can understand my confusion I'm sure, especially because he has a major part in this scene! Totally should have been the question!) and that totally screwed me up. Cried to my teacher after the exam because it was such a stupid mistake to make and I was so angry, but if my mark is too low then I can just resit in January! Hopefully it won't be that bad :s

We did a bit about 'A Doll's House', I liked it! We only did the first scene though :tongue:
Original post by ChloeJaneR
Then I answered the Taming of the Shrew question about Gremio, virtually nothing to write because he had like 7 lines in the acts we were prescribed to write about and I went over the boundaries :frown: We were supposed to write about Act 1 scenes 1 and 2 and about two thirds of my answer was about Act 2 scene 1 (you can understand my confusion I'm sure, especially because he has a major part in this scene! Totally should have been the question!) and that totally screwed me up. Cried to my teacher after the exam because it was such a stupid mistake to make and I was so angry, but if my mark is too low then I can just resit in January! Hopefully it won't be that bad :s

We did a bit about 'A Doll's House', I liked it! We only did the first scene though :tongue:

Don't worry! You seem to know your stuff so like you said, the worst case scenario is just a January retake which should be fine. :smile:

And oh God...it's good in places but the whole thing plus a monotonous teacher who appears to be obsessed with 1880's Norway did not help at all...I would definitely have preferred a bit of Shakespeare!
Reply 6

I love Shakespeare but actually performing and writing about his work is an absolute nightmare. We did a few scenes for an open evening and we didn't know our lines properly until the night :') That does sound annoying :s I hate teachers that obsess over things and try to get you to love it by talking about it all the time! My form tutor does it all the time ¬_¬
Reply 7
Heh, I seem to be the only one that did Antigone. Both those questions were amazing, but I went with the staging of the scene between Creon and Antigone (hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about) xD

Taming of the Shrew was only a touch-and-go depending on the questions - Antigone was always my plan.
Reply 8
I did the taming of the shrew gremio question too! Began the question thinking, brilliant, know this character well so I'll do this one as opposed to the Kate scene. Then I realised the scenes given were terrible scenes for gremio! I was frantically searching for the scene in which he goes up against the suitors to convince Baptista bianca should marry him. Only to realise it was not there! :frown: too late to begin the other question by this point. Oh well, as above has said... We shall see!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by Haffyduck
I did the taming of the shrew gremio question too! Began the question thinking, brilliant, know this character well so I'll do this one as opposed to the Kate scene. Then I realised the scenes given were terrible scenes for gremio! I was frantically searching for the scene in which he goes up against the suitors to convince Baptista bianca should marry him. Only to realise it was not there! :frown: too late to begin the other question by this point. Oh well, as above has said... We shall see!

That is exactly what I did! Only I actually wrote about it :'( and then realized I'd done the wrong scene with a few minutes left. Oh well! I smashed the performances seen question, so it should balance out a little :s we shall see, yes :')
Reply 10
That is exactly what I did! Only I actually wrote about it :'( and then realized I'd done the wrong scene with a few minutes left. Oh well! I smashed the performances seen question, so it should balance out a little :s we shall see, yes :')

Oh no really! Well hopefully you'll get a nice examiner who will over see it hehe. Yeah I felt terribly prepared for the live question as we only had seen our play (the duchess of malfi) 8 days before the exam! However I felt quite good about it! Did The question about how the naturalistic set enabled the actors to create locations! One of my class mates panicked and answered all four questions on the live production!! Hoping his examiner will be feeling friendly too!

I'm doing the whole a level I a year so I've got my A2 exam tomorrow! Fingers crossed for that one too! :smile:

Reply 11
Original post by Haffyduck
Oh no really! Well hopefully you'll get a nice examiner who will over see it hehe. Yeah I felt terribly prepared for the live question as we only had seen our play (the duchess of malfi) 8 days before the exam! However I felt quite good about it! Did The question about how the naturalistic set enabled the actors to create locations! One of my class mates panicked and answered all four questions on the live production!! Hoping his examiner will be feeling friendly too!

I'm doing the whole a level I a year so I've got my A2 exam tomorrow! Fingers crossed for that one too! :smile:

HOW did they answer all four questions in one hour!? :eek: that is superhuman!

Good luck! Hope it goes really well for you :smile:
Reply 12
HOW did they answer all four questions in one hour!? :eek: that is superhuman!

Good luck! Hope it goes really well for you :smile:

Well that's the main fault haha he wrote four shorter answers! Only Making a brief point about it before moving on! It's a shame, he did so well in practical! Hopefully it'll be okay though :smile:

Thank you! You too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending