The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by del1rious
anyone have any question predictions?

I've heard that business ethics is likely to come up because it hasn't come up particularly frequently/ recently. But the exam board have now made it really difficult to predict questions purely because some teachers were getting so good at it, they were only teaching some parts of the specification :frown:
ahh i thought i knew quite a lot but being on this thread has made me realise compared to you guys i know nothing :frown: what did people get for AS?
I'm retaking A2 philosophy tomorrow too.... anyone else doing the same?
Original post by harrietariley
I've heard that business ethics is likely to come up because it hasn't come up particularly frequently/ recently. But the exam board have now made it really difficult to predict questions purely because some teachers were getting so good at it, they were only teaching some parts of the specification :frown:

if business ethics comes up i will jam my biro into my carotid artery, just sayin
Reply 204
Original post by del1rious
if business ethics comes up i will jam my biro into my carotid artery, just sayin

I agree wholeheartedly! I thought applied ethics was something I could do... apparently not, according to my mock! Just some really nice questions would be fantastic. Is that too much to ask for?! :wink:
ENVIRONMENTAL ETHICS

Is Aquinas' (Natural M. Law) Primary Precept of 'Preservation of Life' applicable to animals as well as humans?
Reply 206
Original post by et cetera
ENVIRONMENTAL ETHICS

Is Aquinas' (Natural M. Law) Primary Precept of 'Preservation of Life' applicable to animals as well as humans?

Yeah, and plants, but it depends on what the belief in the sanctity of life is. Do non-sentient beings have sanctity of life? Also Aquinas was catholic believed in Dominion and Stewardship.
Original post by jaya44
Could you please summarise Macintyre for me. Please.

Sorry it has taken me a while, just been revising and only just come to check.
MacIntyre argues that the theories e.g Utilitarianism etc have lost sight of what morality is about really, achieving our Telos - our function or purpose. He wants to get back to the idea of our human purpose/function depending on community. This is because he saw morality as a community thing, we can hardly do good actions/become virtuous all by ourselves? So yeah, basically...emphasises the community aspect of morality over individualism of today/that is encouraged by other theories. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
How much do we need to know for business ethics?
Original post by et cetera
ENVIRONMENTAL ETHICS

I argued it could be in an essay, but it's a bit dubious considering Aquinas believes our reason puts us above animals, so probably just means human life. Depends how you interpret it I suppose...
Reply 210
Original post by swiftylol

Essentially just how each ethical theory (Kant, Utilitarianism, Religious ethics, Natural Law and Virtue ethics) are applied to it. You don't need to know the masses of detail for the ethical theories that we learnt at AS, just the bare bones really. It would probably also be good to have some examples of good/ bad businesses that you can use to back up your argument.
Original post by swiftylol

The issues surrounding these various factors: what is the purpose of business? To purely exist to create profit? or does it have social responsibility too? Then issues of employee/employer relationships, consumer rights, how business affects the environment and Globalisation and its impact. Most of them you'd be able to consider on the spot I suppose? not too much revision behind it. Unless you consider people like Karl Marx, Adam Smith..John Rawls (Stakeholder theory) and Milton Friedman(shareholder theory) More how'd you apply a theory to those issues I think....
Reply 212
Can some quickly go over how a theory such as virtue ethics would apply to business?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 213
Original post by joelchan
Yeah, and plants, but it depends on what the belief in the sanctity of life is. Do non-sentient beings have sanctity of life? Also Aquinas was catholic believed in Dominion and Stewardship.

I thought preservation of innocent life only applied to humans?
Reply 214
Well tonights Simpsons episode was on miracles and visions, I'll take that as a sign
Reply 215
Original post by SBradford
Can some quickly go over how a theory such as virtue ethics would apply to business?

Virtue ethics and business:

- By both employer and employee habitually being honest and fair, the business as a whole will benefit (Aristotle emphasised the fact that being virtuous takes place as being part of a community; it is not exclusively limited to the individual)
- Being virtuous means products must be honestly advertised, be of good quality and be sold at fair prices.
- Businesses could follow 'role models' of other businesses.
- You could justify some acts in favour of making profit for the business as being "entrepreneurial" which would probably be seen as a virtue. As there are no 'rules' in Virtue ethics, you also cannot hold a business to fault if something goes wrong, or assess what sort of punishment of sanction would be appropriate.
- Shareholders would not be seen as virtuous as they are only interested in the business making as much profit as possible for their own gain.

Virtue Ethics would consider how one can develop a virtuous character through doing business. It would particularly emphasise the idea of business being a 'community' thing. So in business people are part of an ethical community. This would apply to all, the employers, employees, basically, everyone must pull their weight to create a virtuous business (arguably this might not be possible? if you think business is all about profit?Althought business could be a means to becoming virtuous, as it is engrained in society, profit comes second?)You could also look at other businesses that seem to be acting morally, (Body Shop, Co-op) and adapt accordingly. It would consider the virtues necessary for a good business, trustworthiness/co-operation?
Also maybe talk about Rosalind Hursthouse - it would tell you how a Virtuous person would think in a business situation (use child labour? outsource production to a Third world country?- highly doubt it. Use fairtrade, good product, fair price etc? most likely)
I realise that isn't too well explained, it's just so hard to apply!
Reply 217

Little sum up of what I included in a recent V.E & B.E essay:

Change in business ethics has been shaped by virtue ethics, people making more ethical decisions when purchasing and thinking 'what sort of person ought I be?'

Friedman and Snyder highlight how a business has a social responsibility to make profit, which makes it somewhat a positive (or virtue) whereas McIntyre would view the desire to make profit as a greed (and therefore vice) instead

Contemporary example of a company that failed to adopt a V.E approach is Starbucks during the 9/11 attacks (google for more info)

Companies have new emphasis placed on them for the conditions of production of their products (e.g Nike sweat shops) employees of nike themselves may argue that they have not forced the staff to work in sweatshops, they don't control the conditions, Kant or a Util would agree with the idea that the individual has done nothing wrong, however V.E would penalise the individual for not trying to stop the situation either.

Environmental factors are important to consider, Solomon identified a link between profit and a business social responsibility, which coincides with V.E (perhaps using wisdom of the ages to make productive environmental changes for the future)

virtues and vices themselves are difficult to distinguish, often enforced by culture and can clash in a business environment such as wanting to be honest but wanting to be loyal to a friend who has practiced immorally at work- employee is then not sure of whether to be a whistleblower and decide which virtue is more important.

Sorry for the waffle, hope something there has helped!
Reply 218
Sorry for this question: Is there separate Philosophy thread? :confused:
Also, what predictions are for the Philosophy exam ?
Reply 219
Any help on free will and meta ethics im kinda confused :frown: ????

Latest

Trending

Trending