The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I feel pretty strongly about this and won't go on a rant but I will say, that the public in this country have an excellent level of care on a whole and should just stop complaining. So much work goes into all aspects of patient care and the way doctors can make decisions mostly detached from financial considerations on a patient level is absolutely brilliant. In countries like USA you'd be over-investigated massively and be broke before you knew it. In countries like India and even some European countries the amount of respect doctors show patients is next to none.
Original post by Vazzyb
I feel pretty strongly about this and won't go on a rant but I will say, that the public in this country have an excellent level of care on a whole and should just stop complaining. So much work goes into all aspects of patient care and the way doctors can make decisions mostly detached from financial considerations on a patient level is absolutely brilliant. In countries like USA you'd be over-investigated massively and be broke before you knew it. In countries like India and even some European countries the amount of respect doctors show patients is next to none.

To be fair you have a point. I know a lot of doctors around my age and for the most part they're a bunch of knobs, but when I've actually been a patient, there was no condescension (with experienced/older doctors).
Reply 22
You're right, some consultants are so arrogant, very rude too. Some are just plain evil, bullying the juniors and whatnot. So many horror stories of bullying...I'm not sure about mistreatment of the public though, there's quite a strict policy on treatment of patients in Northern Ireland.
Keeping in mind that my dad is a consultant with the NHS :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Yes, they are, undeservedly so.

Well i am a patient.

They should not be arrogant towards patients, if it wern't for us, they wouldn't be in a job :rolleyes:

The fact that I had to get my local MP involved to bring a consultant back down to earth, is pretty disgusting. Its so funny, she is still around, and since changing consultants my treatment has gone SMOOTHLY. When I had this woman as a consultant, she kept delaying, delaying - finding all sorts of reasons why treatment should not go ahead, I don't think she could handle the fact that a patient was questioning her decision making skills...Treatment could have finished 2 years earlier if it wasn't for that.

They can behave however they want with their peers.

EDIT:

My current consultant is great, he has listened to all of my concerns throughout treatment, and I only wish more of them were like that.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think I have the right to categorise my peers or seniors as arrogant or not, so I'll refrain from doing so.

Original post by Vazzyb

In other news, I totally agree with the bolded bit. You compare the way some doctors outside the UK (though not everywhere outside the UK) communicate with their patients and its such a stark contrast to the patient-doctor relationship here (which of course is still far from perfect)! I was so shocked when I first saw it. Doctors are sometimes treated as gods in some of these places, whereas in the UK (in the vast majority of cases), they are treated like normal humans who can and sometimes do make mistakes.
To be honest, the doctors are there to help you not for any other reason. Yes, having a good bed side manner is important but to be honest, your not there for a chat and neither are they. If they were helping me to get better I would be appreciative regardless of their attitude. To be honest, I actually feel quite sorry for them as they probably have long hard working hours and a lot of ungrateful people, so I wouldn't be suprised if most of them were a bit bitchy at that point. In fact, most people would be. At the end of the day though, if they're doing their job and you feel better at the end of it all, they've done what they were supposed to do so you should stop complaining.
Original post by fat_hobbit
Well i am a patient.

They should not be arrogant towards patients, if it wern't for us, they wouldn't be in a job :rolleyes:

The fact that I had to get my local MP involved to bring a consultant back down to earth, is pretty disgusting. Its so funny, she is still around, and since changing consultants my treatment has gone SMOOTHLY. When I had this woman as a consultant, she kept delaying, delaying - finding all sorts of reasons why treatment should not go ahead, I don't think she could handle the fact that a patient was questioning her decision making skills...Treatment could have finished 2 years earlier if it wasn't for that.

EDIT:

My current consultant is great, he has listened to all of my concerns throughout treatment, and I only wish more of them were like that.

Sorry but i'm not going to assume this consultant's an idiot because they didn't want to give you a treatment, for all we know she could have been making the right call. As a general rule when a patient is upset at something a consultants not doing for them, it's usually because they don't understand the logic behind the decision.

Which is still a mark against the consultant of course, as they usually should have explained it better.
Well i am a patient.

EDIT:

ok, but I don't know why you quoted me.
Reply 28
Original post by hoonosewot
Sorry but i'm not going to assume this consultant's an idiot because they didn't want to give you a treatment, for all we know she could have been making the right call. As a general rule when a patient is upset at something a consultants not doing for them, it's usually because they don't understand the logic behind the decision.

Which is still a mark against the consultant of course, as they usually should have explained it better.

Or they have god-complex.

She was evidentially wrong. And the worse thing was, she wasn't listening to her patient.

Anyway, I did my research good and proper. She never saw it coming.
Showed her who was boss.
Or they have god-complex.

She was evidentially wrong. And the worse thing was, she wasn't listening to her patient.

Anyway, I did my research good and proper. She never saw it coming.
Showed her who was boss.

...And you're complaining that medics are arrogant.
doctors are not treated like gods here because the information is much more readily available and the average person is more educated

any scientifically educated person could get up to a level of their understanding of their particular condition up to a medical standard if they tried hard/long enough

last time I went to the doctor the guy effectively googled my symptoms and told me back what i'd read from the internet before I visited. -.-
Reply 31
Original post by CraigKirk
...And you're complaining that medics are arrogant.

No, I brought her back down to earth from being arrogant.

Hopefully in future, she would listen to her patients more. Because, clearly her decision making skills are not perfect.

My current consultant I always raise my concerns with him, and you know what, we always reach a compromise. Or if he can't he really really informs me with what the hell is going on, she was nothing like this.

That is the way it should be done.
No, I brought her back down to earth from being arrogant.

Hopefully in future, she would listen to her patients more. Because, clearly her decision making skills are not perfect.

My current consultant I always raise my concerns with him, and you know what, we always reach a compromise. Or if he can't he really really informs me with what the hell is going on, she was nothing like this.

That is the way it should be done.

You come off as very arrogant because of how much you pretend to know about medicine. In the bigger picture of the subject, I know very little about medicine at the moment; I haven't done a medical degree yet. Neither have you, however, so you aren't in a position to tell them what they should or shouldn't be doing. Your presuming that position makes you sound very arrogant.

As has already been discussed by someone else, the first doctor may have been refraining that treatment because it was their judgement that it was in your best interests. Just because another doctor had a different judgement - and even if this turns out to be better judgement - this does not mean that the doctor was being arrogant and didn't think you were worth treating (would this even make a doctor arrogant? It seems more like being incompetent).
Reply 33
This isn't anything but a rant thread and has not and will not develop any constructive discussion. On those grounds, the thread will be closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending