The Student Room Group

I can't choose both English & Theatre Studies for A2? :(

Well, my school is really annoying with their organization atm and I really need the help/advice as I don't know where else to get them from. I am currently doing Media, Theater, Music Tech & Art for A Levels. For A2, I wanted to continue with all my current subjects but replace Music with English as I had hopes in becoming a journalist. Due to scheduling problems, my school will only allow me to pick one course; either English or Theater. Theater is something I really enjoy, a lesson where I get to spend quality time with my best friends and also learn new things. English is something I feel like I NEED to become a journalist. I have a C in GCSE English and that just doesn't seem good enough to me? Is it? I'm in such a dillema right now.

Any help and/or advie would be GREATLY appreciated.

:bawling:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
If you want to be a journalist then English will be the best choice, especially if you're planning on doing journalism at uni.
Reply 2
Original post by rickyy
Well, my school is really annoying with their organization atm and I really need the help/advice as I don't know where else to get them from. I am currently doing Media, Theater, Music Tech & Art for A Levels. For A2, I wanted to continue with all my current subjects but replace Music with English as I had hopes in becoming a journalist. Due to scheduling problems, my school will only allow me to pick one course; either English or Theater. Theater is something I really enjoy, a lesson where I get to spend quality time with my best friends and also learn new things. English is something I feel like I NEED to become a journalist. I have a C in GCSE English and that just doesn't seem good enough to me? Is it? I'm in such a dillema right now.

Any help and/or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

:bawling:

Was the C you underachieving? If not picking A level English might be a pretty bad move as you'll end up with another bad grade.

Also, don't pick subjects to spend quality time with your best friends.
Reply 3
I do both subjects at a-level and used to want to be a journalist up to about a month ago :smile:

If you want to do journalism at uni you will have to take english, but if you don't want to take it formally, english doesn't help you in that career path anyway. I'd say stick with theatre studies and just get work experience in media as that is far more important than an english qualification.
Reply 4
If you got a C at English GCSE, unless it was a bad day then I think you may struggle with A Level - it is quite advanced compared to AS Level, I got an A* at GCSE language and struggled at first.

Is it English Language, English Literature or combined that you're thinking of doing at A Level?
Reply 5
Thank you very much for the replies everyone.

Don't you need three full courses to study at uni anyway? Like for me, two complete years of Art, Media and Theater. If I do pick English over Theater, then I'd only have one year of Theater causing me to loose points.(?) My friend told me I'd get higher points if I stuck with Theater as well? I'm so confused. :confused:

Original post by madders94
If you got a C at English GCSE, unless it was a bad day then I think you may struggle with A Level - it is quite advanced compared to AS Level, I got an A* at GCSE language and struggled at first.

Is it English Language, English Literature or combined that you're thinking of doing at A Level?

Original post by Norton1
Was the C you underachieving? If not picking A level English might be a pretty bad move as you'll end up with another bad grade.

Also, don't pick subjects to spend quality time with your best friends.

No, C was the highest I could get as I was doing foundation. I was going to do the higher tier lit after that but my teachers decided to drop me for that exam since I needed to focus more on my maths, not because I was bad.

Original post by roodootoo
I do both subjects at a-level and used to want to be a journalist up to about a month ago :smile:

If you want to do journalism at uni you will have to take english, but if you don't want to take it formally, english doesn't help you in that career path anyway. I'd say stick with theatre studies and just get work experience in media as that is far more important than an english qualification.

It is? Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
bump
If you got the same grades in your english that you wouldda done for theatre then you would get the same amount of points overall, just spread out across more qualifications. Doing 4 A2s is a lot of work so maybe picking up the AS english would be better especially as it's a more respected subject, especially fi it's literature. :h: good luck
Looking on the sheffield website for Journalism, and it doesn't say you need English, just grades AAB.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/journalism/prospectiveug/entry
Original post by Dominicque
Looking on the sheffield website for Journalism, and it doesn't say you need English, just grades AAB.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/journalism/prospectiveug/entry

Regardless of its necessity, it would her a stronger applicant; and English is generally more useful for Journalism in terms of skills at A2 than Theatre Studies.
Reply 10
I decided to do Theatre for now. Hopefully I will still be able to achieve what I want in the end. :creep:

Thanks for the help, everyone.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest