The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Postgraduate Application 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by seraph_
Yes, go ahead for other funding. Actually I've applied three scholarship funding in the university, how much have you applied?

I applied for only one scholarship provided by the university. I will apply for another one granted by the Italian institution for higher education.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 121
Sorry to post again but I am extremely happy! This morning I got the offer from Edinburgh (conditional on my Toefl result. 100 points are required) :biggrin:
Reply 122
Original post by seraph_
I got email from the UK/EU scholarship stating that I am unsucessful. I think you may soon get the notification from that scholarship.

Same here :frown: I haven't heard from the Law Faculty about their specific scholarships yet though...has anyone else heard, should I take silence as a rejection for those too?

Looks like I'll be forced to self-fund if I pass my undergrad...
Reply 123
Original post by Mystic123
Same here :frown: I haven't heard from the Law Faculty about their specific scholarships yet though...has anyone else heard, should I take silence as a rejection for those too?

Looks like I'll be forced to self-fund if I pass my undergrad...

Don't worry, I think the panel is still discussing about the funding....you may hear the news soon:smile:
Reply 124
Original post by Nirvana86
Sorry to post again but I am extremely happy! This morning I got the offer from Edinburgh (conditional on my Toefl result. 100 points are required) :biggrin:

When is your TOEFL exam? Omg, I took mine in January and now every single time I hear about this exam I feel like throwing up. I still don't understand why I didn't choose IELTS to take : |
Reply 125
Original post by imd
When is your TOEFL exam? Omg, I took mine in January and now every single time I hear about this exam I feel like throwing up. I still don't understand why I didn't choose IELTS to take : |

My exam is in two weeks, on June 15th. When I saw the structure of Toefl, I thought the same thing. But I also took the preparatory course during the winter, so I hope to be at least decently prepared.
Reply 126
for sure you won't be surprised by the form but mysefl the level and the topics were just horrible. Thanks goddness I passed.
Well good luck then :biggrin:
Reply 127
Original post by imd
for sure you won't be surprised by the form but mysefl the level and the topics were just horrible. Thanks goddness I passed.
Well good luck then :biggrin:

Thank you :wink:
Reply 128
Hello! I don't post often on TSR, I'm rather shy, but I've been watching this thread for a bit. :colondollar:

Has anyone applied to PhD entry starting in January? I was wondering if it takes longer for a decision to be made on applications since there's no rush to the September start date. Has anyone heard back yet, and if so, how long did it take?

I'm an applicant for PhD study in art design so that's technically through the Edinburgh College of Art, but I think the system is quite the same now since the merger. I submitted my application at the end of May and didn't hear a peep out of admissions until 2 days ago (they asked me for an interim transcript). My cousin applied in April for September masters entry and had an offer within 3 weeks. They also asked her for an interim transcript about 2 days before sending the offer. So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping their sudden contact is a good sign. :biggrin:
Reply 129
In the end, I chose Edinburgh. Yesterday evening I accepted the offer they made me about a month ago and I'm very happy, actually! See you in Sept!
Reply 130
Hi Guys

Don't forget there's a Postgrad Facebook group now for 2012/2013 students.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/305678176183353/
Reply 131
Hi everyone,

I think I have the same problem that any international/European student has already had. I need to send my Toefl result to the University of Edinburgh, specifically the School of Law.
I already accepted the conditional offer the University made.

On the official website they say:

"If you are about to take a TOEFL test, you should chose the College as one of your "Designated Institutions" using the DI number 3760. This will enable us to verify your test certificate, which you should scan and upload with your application through the on-line application system.
If you have already taken your test, then please upload a scanned copy of your test certificate."

I already took the Toefl test but I didn't choose to send the results directly to the School because I didn't know that I was supposed to do in that way. Now, I can send the results through the ETS website anyway, but I need to pay 16$. In addition, I just got the results (I took the test on June 15th) and I suppose that the paper copy of my results won't be arriving before one month.

How can I do? In your opinion, is it compulsory to send the scanned copy of the results?
Reply 132
Has anyone heard about accommodation yet?
I'm doing the MSc in Environmental Sustainability this September.

I'd applied for both the UK/EU scholarship and the Carnegie Trust, but was unsuccessful with both of them. I'd also applied to a Dutch fund which provides scholarships for Dutch nationals studying abroad and they are giving me 4000 euros, so that's my rent covered for the whole year :smile:.
Reply 134
hey.! i have been offered a place for MA in Performance costume..! I was wondering if there are other students too joining this course with me..? I have hard time locating students going from India and havn't found a single souls yet.. :frown:
Secured my loans about a week ago and I just submitted my visa application and have a biometrics appointment next week. I still cannot believe this is happening.
Reply 136
I've met my offer, now to get the accommodation sorted!
Reply 137
do most of you try to get private accommodation? I found it quite difficult to find private accommodation when you're not in Edinburgh atm and have no way of visiting before September...
Reply 138
Original post by AcesLacy
do most of you try to get private accommodation? I found it quite difficult to find private accommodation when you're not in Edinburgh atm and have no way of visiting before September...

I'm a European PG student and I'm looking for sharing a private flat because it is seems that I have no chance to get an university accommodation.
I'll be in Edinburgh the first week of September and, as you said, I would like to check the places in person before signing a contract. Nonetheless, I'm trying to set appointments already and there are some websites which are useful. Did you try Gumtree, for example?
Reply 139
Yeah, I did. However, most wanted to meet in person... I've been told all the good rooms will be gone by the beginning of term so I decided to go with a room from a private landlord who 'specializes' in postgraduate accommodation for EU students. I actually found it through StudentPad...
This way I already have a room when I get there and don't have to 'waste' precious time at the beginning of the semester. Besides, I am somewhat of a control-freak and not having a room has made me very uneasy; I already saw myself hopping from hostel to hostel for three weeks, which really wasn't a happy thought for me :smile:

Good luck to you!

Quick Reply

Latest