Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your Best Lens Combo

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Title says it. What would be the best lens combination you could think of whilst keeping in the guide of what (IMO) most photographers would be looking for

- £1500 budget
    - Cheapest price you can find on the web
    - Maximum of three lenses

Post the system you have and what you use it for to put your choice into perspective for others!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Canon 85mm f/1.2 (assuming I had a 5Dmk3 )

In all reality, £1500 isn't very much for three lenses. Personally because I hardly ever use telephoto I'd probably drop a good chunk of that cash on a wide-mid fast lens. On crop I'd get a 17-55mm f/2.8 (in fact, I already did this), and for FF I'd go for a 24-70mm f/2.8. The former is 6-650 quid second hand, about £830 new. Similar sort of money plus a hundred or so for the 24-70mm. With the remainder of the money you could just about pick up a tatty second hand 70-200mm f/2.8, which would be great on either crop. With that combo you'd have most, or total, coverage from wide to medium/long telephoto, all at f/2.8. If was being cheeky and could push the budget to £2k then I'd grab an 85mm f/1.8 to go in there too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    In all reality, £1500 isn't very much for three lenses.
    Well I couldnt give you a lot of money and make it easy could I now!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sigma 10-20mm f4.5-5.5, Nikon 50mm f1.8 and Nikon 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 all of which I have on my D90. I also have a 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 vr but that takes it over the budget

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well this is something most beginner photographers do NOT understand. There is no such thing as "the best camera" or "the best lens".
    It all depends on your budget, what you already have, what you're planning on taking pictures of, your style.

In photography .. the word cheap and best do not go together.
    Good = expensive .. always.
    You get what you pay for. Now what kind of camera do you already have? Crop or full frame? Canon or Nikon? What do you plan on doing with your camera? Landscape/weddings/sports/portrait?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza7)
    Well this is something most beginner photographers do NOT understand. There is no such thing as "the best camera" or "the best lens".
    It all depends on your budget, what you already have, what you're planning on taking pictures of, your style.

You get what you pay for. Now what kind of camera do you already have? Crop or full frame? Canon or Nikon? What do you plan on doing with your camera? Landscape/weddings/sports/portrait?
    You missed the point of the thread rather. It's more, "If you had £1500 what lenses would you buy and why?" It's quite interesting seeing where people's priorities lie.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    You missed the point of the thread rather. It's more, "If you had £1500 what lenses would you buy and why?" It's quite interesting seeing where people's priorities lie.
    Oh crap
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza7)

Mega Derp.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 31, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.