Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travel question for an Apprenticeship

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have just seen an apprenticeship that I am very interested in, but it's a little over an hour and a half away from me, and is in a city center. It's £100 a week to start off with, and would cost me around £15-£20 a day to get there in my car, and then I have insurance. It would probably be cheaper if I got the bus or something.

The thing is there are no other things like this apprenticeship near me, so I am wondering if I should just go for it? What would you do?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position, it's gonna cost me around £17 pounds a day in train tickets a day to get there and I get £120 a week, I'm still hoping to get it though. Then I'll probably rent an apartment near that after having saved up for a couple of months, in the area you can rent pretty poor but liveable apartments for £50 per week, which is cheaper than travelling and I wouldn't have to get up so early or deal with public transports.

If it suits you I recommend going for it, if it's a job you see yourself there in 5 years time does a couple of quid really matter? But then again at £100 and 5 days a week at £20 then you might not be making any money. I'd think about if you could get the bus for sure, then with a bus pass it'd only be £300 or £400 or so for the year, which is a month's wages as opposed to all your wages.

I'm opting for an apprenticeship further way from me and doesn't pay as good as others but I really see my self working there for a long time and there's so many opportunities etc.

Just ask yourself what you'd prefer and long-term etc. .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some apprenticeships pay for your travel.

I live in Kent and am doing an apprenticeship in London so I would not be able to afford the travel, I'd actually be in negative each month. I was lucky enough to find an apprenticeship in exactly what I want to do which came with travel included.

I don't see how you will be able live paying so much of your wages on travel. Perhaps you could look for one with travel included, or if they really like you they may consider paying some of you travel for you. If they offer you the job there is no harm in asking, all they can do is say no.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they won't pay for your travel i suggest a motorbike
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I pay £150 a month for travel to and from my apprenticeship. It really depends what you want to do. If it's something that you really want to do then go for it. But living on an apprenticeship wage is HARD. You have to be prepared to really sacrifice stuff if it's something you want to do.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 10, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.