Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acoustic guitar beginner...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok so ive got a guitar and just started learning. having real trouble with chords etc so i like to play simple finger picking things atm. ive learnt daytripper (beatles) and ivy and gold (bombay bicycle club) and was hoping to learn a few similar to this but cant seem to find any...

any suggestions anyone?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should find this helpful:
    http://chainsawguitartuition.net/blo...-guitar-songs/

There's tons of famous songs that only use three simple chords.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey, now that we are talking about guitars.... I really want to buy a guitar and start learning.... but I have no idea what so ever...

There are so many guitar types, accessories and just worried I don’t get the wrong thing...

Any help for a beginner, who hasn’t actually bought a guitar yet? :confused:

thank you for any help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    for beginner, buy those not so cheap but not too expensive like Yamaha, Epiphone, Ibanez.

Buy those entry models will do
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Likely Lad)
    ok so ive got a guitar and just started learning. having real trouble with chords etc so i like to play simple finger picking things atm. ive learnt daytripper (beatles) and ivy and gold (bombay bicycle club) and was hoping to learn a few similar to this but cant seem to find any...

any suggestions anyone?
    Nothing else matters by Metallica is a really nice one to learn, makes you feel like a boss
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL imagine playing Master of Puppets unplugged....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've played guitar for a good while now, self-taught so I pretty much just get tabs online or learn off youtube. But I just cannot get the hang of barre chords, any tips or ideas on how to make them a bit easier?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narnia123)
    I've played guitar for a good while now, self-taught so I pretty much just get tabs online or learn off youtube. But I just cannot get the hang of barre chords, any tips or ideas on how to make them a bit easier?
    I find them really difficult as well, it's hard to get all the strings without muting any of them! Try using the side of your finger more, and just put pressure on the notes that finger is actually making (if that makes sense! )

A little related to this, I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now (self-taught). I only realised a few weeks ago that if you move the barre from G (355433) up two frets it plays A, and the rest follow on from that, I know it's ridiculously simple but I felt like a boss when I figured it out!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerseymackem)
    I find them really difficult as well, it's hard to get all the strings without muting any of them! Try using the side of your finger more, and just put pressure on the notes that finger is actually making (if that makes sense! )

A little related to this, I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now (self-taught). I only realised a few weeks ago that if you move the barre from G (355433) up two frets it plays A, and the rest follow on from that, I know it's ridiculously simple but I felt like a boss when I figured it out!
    haha nice one, I love figuring out little things like that, it makes you seem like a genius!
    Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syuuki)
    LOL imagine playing Master of Puppets unplugged....
    doesnt actually sound as bizarre as one might thing.....if possible a bit more menacing :P
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy94)
    Hey, now that we are talking about guitars.... I really want to buy a guitar and start learning.... but I have no idea what so ever...

There are so many guitar types, accessories and just worried I don’t get the wrong thing...

thank you for any help
    Same here. Help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

thank you for any help
    Have you tried looking online, say on the Argos website, where you can get little beginner packs.
    Normally including a guitar, strap, plectrums, beginner chord book and tutorial DVD.
    These are normally reasonably priced and they're really good
    In the beginning you shouldn't really be worrying about how good the guitar is although you don't want a piece of rubbish.
    This coming from someone who can't play barre chords but hope I helped :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

thank you for any help
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Same here. Help?
    This is by far the best deal that I've seen, the guitar sounds fantastic and it comes with everything you need (apart from a case, but if you really want one you can get them for peanuts elsewhere)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-F310-...ref=pd_cp_MI_0
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerseymackem)
    This is by far the best deal that I've seen, the guitar sounds fantastic and it comes with everything you need (apart from a case, but if you really want one you can get them for peanuts elsewhere)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-F310-...ref=pd_cp_MI_0
    I'll buy it tomorrow!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....0.KeCIMy6rdL0

Marty schwartz is the best teacher on youtube
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars.asp

http://www.theguitarstoreonline.co.u...p-72-109-1154/

Don't go for those too cheap, £150-£200 is just nice for beginner

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 1, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered instrumental and classical

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.