Help - had a prang.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm just looking for advice.

This morning as I was driving to college the car in front decided to slam on his brakes to let someone out of a junction, so obviously I did the same to avoid hitting him.

The bloke behind me in a van stopped behind me. However, the bloke behind that didn't stop in time and hit the van which rolled forward and hit the back of me.

Thankfully, there was no damage to my car, but the van had damage to the rear doors. I got all details from the other drivers but the van driver was on a company policy so I'm thinking it's unlikely that they'll settle it without the insurance companies knowing.

Is it worth me telling my insurance company despite not having any damage nor wishing to make any claims or should I just keep my mouth shut as they'll probably use it as an excuse to hike my premium?

thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The law requires you to stay at a safe distance behind other road users.
    The fact that the van behind you hit you because of the guy behind him means that it is not your fault.
    At times, insurance companies will put your premium up even if it isn't your fault- however calling them and challenging this, IF you have been found to be not at fault (which you most likely will be) will mean that they will take this extra charge off.
    This happened to me- they put my premium up by £600 when someone ran a red light and hit me. I spoke to them, they sorted it.
    Hope it works out for you!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You will probably claim from the guy who ran into the van, not 100% though!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reenin)
    The law requires you to stay at a safe distance behind other road users.
    The fact that the van behind you hit you because of the guy behind him means that it is not your fault.
    At times, insurance companies will put your premium up even if it isn't your fault- however calling them and challenging this, IF you have been found to be not at fault (which you most likely will be) will mean that they will take this extra charge off.
    This happened to me- they put my premium up by £600 when someone ran a red light and hit me. I spoke to them, they sorted it.
    Hope it works out for you!
    (Original post by IndyAM)
    You will probably claim from the guy who ran into the van, not 100% though!
    Thanks guys, so you would advise me to tell them?

The thing is though, I have no claim to make, there was no damage to my car and I'm not injured (nor am I going to be an a*** and claim for whiplash)

Will it affect me getting a 'no claims bonus'? I know it sounds daft if I'm not claiming but insurance companies seem to work on their own rules.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you don't intend to claim, and theres no damage done, then I personally wouldn't.
    It just seems like a lot of hassle that could easily be avoided.

Telling them may or may not affect your premium or no claims bonus, I'm not sure. But not telling them won't affect either.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hearty_Beast)
    If you don't intend to claim, and theres no damage done, then I personally wouldn't.
    It just seems like a lot of hassle that could easily be avoided.

Telling them may or may not affect your premium or no claims bonus, I'm not sure. But not telling them won't affect either.
    Like I said though, the only problem is that the guy behind me had damage to the rear of his van because of the car hitting the back of him. He's likely to tell his insurance company who could tell mine...

What are the consequences for not declaring an incident to your insurance company?

I know the Road Traffic act defines an accident as something where injury or damage to property occurs due to a collision so technically I haven't had the accident, it's the person behind... would this hold water?

If it wasn't for this damage I wouldn't even be having second thoughts about keeping quiet
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    Like I said though, the only problem is that the guy behind me had damage to the rear of his van because of the car hitting the back of him. He's likely to tell his insurance company who could tell mine...

What are the consequences for not declaring an incident to your insurance company?

I know the Road Traffic act defines an accident as something where injury or damage to property occurs due to a collision so technically I haven't had the accident, it's the person behind... would this hold water?

If it wasn't for this damage I wouldn't even be having second thoughts about keeping quiet

I assume he took your details...

I doubt it affects you at all because as you say, you haven't really had an accident. You neither caused not received damage, and I doubt anyone would want/need to bring you into it. I also think your insurance company would be able to understand why you didn't think it worth bothering them as it didn't really affect you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    not much you can do by the sounds of it diddums
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hearty_Beast)
    I assume he took your details...

I doubt it affects you at all because as you say, you haven't really had an accident. You neither caused not received damage, and I doubt anyone would want/need to bring you into it. I also think your insurance company would be able to understand why you didn't think it worth bothering them as it didn't really affect you.
    He took my details, yup.

Right, okay, I'm keeping quiet then

thanks for the advice
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. You were not involved in an incident in which anything was damaged, so what exactly would be the point of calling the insurance company?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If there is no damage to your car then the van driver will probably leave you out of it and just blame the guy who hit him. Its nothing to do with you, you stopped in time and were hit. As long as you are 100% your car is fine I would just leave it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mum was in the same situation.

She was hit from behind, no damage caused and she was not making a claim but informed the insurer anyway.

The insurance company then proceeded to flag her insurance, and put it up a large amount at renewal time because of this "incident" The insurers refused to remove the flag and said that because she had reported it, that it had to stay on her details. After a lengthy argument, she managed to get a letter from the insurers explaining that no claim was made etc, which she then had to provide to the next company she got insurance with.

In short, unless youre claiming, keep quiet!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If somebody hits the back of you then it's not your fault, if there's no damage to your vehicle don't even bother giving them any details, what's the point?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 1, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.