The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Name: Rebecca.
Course: Biological and Medicinal Chemistry
Offer: Conditional (ABB)
Favourite accommodation: Most probably James.
What are you most looking forward to about York? Living alone for the first time in such a lovely environment! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
University of York
York
Original post by emtem93
Emily
Social work - conditional BBB
Favourite accommodation - Alcuin
Can't wait to get to York to meet new people and get a start on qualifying to be a social worker :smile:

Original post by lauren__93
Name: Lauren
Course: Social Work - conditional
Offer: AAB (Btec and A Level)
Favourite college: Alcuin
Looking forward to: Uni, meeting new people and the course

I hope you don't mind me asking but what are your A Levels in, and your GCSE results?
I only ask because a friend of mine really wanted to do Social Work at York but she was rejected. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 242
Name: Alice
Course: Sociology
Offer: BBB
Favourite accommodation: Either James or Alcuin
What are you most looking forward to about York?: One of the best courses in the country and I love the city
Original post by Chr0n
Just saying :wink:

Accomodation-wise all catered colleges are more or less the same (a few quids up or down). There's only a real advantage if you choose a self-catered standard. Then, Derwent would probably turn out cheapest.

Haha, we definitely contradicted each other there! :biggrin: But the last time I looked, Vanbrugh only offered self-catered premium ensuites, which is about 123 pounds week, so very, very pricey :s-smilie: The only ensuite I could afford is the normal one. But if I end up not going for an ensuite, I'll definitely choose Vanbrurgh :biggrin:
Reply 244
Original post by noorakatariina
The only ensuite I could afford is the normal one. But if I end up not going for an ensuite, I'll definitely choose Vanbrurgh :biggrin:

The only en-suit I'd be willing to afford is Derwent en-suite catered, as that is the same price as James standard catered. I would still rather have a standard room in James than an en-suit in Derwent though.
Reply 245
Just had a thought. What are the non-en-suite arragements like? How many people to a shower, are the rooms sorted into flats? etc etc?
Reply 246
Original post by razorfin
Just had a thought. What are the non-en-suite arragements like? How many people to a shower, are the rooms sorted into flats? etc etc?

it depends on the college. detailed information can be found on the college websites.
Unconditional offer for French with Linguistics... Anybody else starting Linguistics?

PS: Is anyone planning to live off-campus?
Original post by tootnpuddle
Unconditional offer for French with Linguistics... Anybody else starting Linguistics?

PS: Is anyone planning to live off-campus?

I'm in my first year of Linguistics at York, so if you have any questions about the course or York or anything really feel free to send them my way :biggrin:
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
I'm in my first year of Linguistics at York, so if you have any questions about the course or York or anything really feel free to send them my way :biggrin:

Oh my, yes please! If I were to apply to York, it would be for the Linguistics and Maths combined honours degree, so I'm very interested in how your course is going! I've never really experienced linguistics, or at least it being taught, so basically, is it interesting? (After telling some people about linguistics, they've groaned with boredom about it haha). What does the course require you to do? Is it extremely essay based? Are there many people studying that course? What pushed you to choose linguistics? How are the lecturers? Do they really push you to succeed, and motivate you?

Also, a bit generalized, but what sort of timetable for the day do you have? How many lectures do you have a week etc, and are there smaller class sessions too?

(I'm nearly finished, I promise haha), but do you like York as a University? Is the nightlife .. acceptable? Did you make friends easily?

Thanks so much, sorry for the sudden flow of questions :colondollar:
hey guysss!! anyone know when you can apply for accomodation? or have you all already im confused :frown:
Reply 251
In the beginning of August, for unconditional. In the middle of August for conditional. Exact dates were the 1st and the 16th, if I'm correct.
Original post by rdstn
In the beginning of August, for unconditional. In the middle of August for conditional. Exact dates were the 1st and the 16th, if I'm correct.

thanksss alot!!
Reply 253
Original post by rdstn

Original post by katherine9
thanksss alot!!

Just so you know, it's the 6th and the 20th this year - says on the website :smile:
Original post by Kikkis
Name: Kikkis
Course: Writing, directing and performance.
Offer: Conditional.
Favorite accommodation: No idea. Whatever's closest to my department. I think that's Goodrick?
Looking forward too: Finally getting started with studies after two gap years and lots of travelling. Moving to England from Norway and meeting lots of new people!

yay! hey there, future classmate:wink:

name: Sarah
course:writing, directing and performance
offer:unconditional
pref.accomodation:vanbrugh
looking forward to:...i second the "finally getting started", gap years do get old at some point. also super excited about meeting tons of fun people and finally enrolling in a course i actually like...

can't wait to meet some of you guys!
Annoyingly all of the catered accommadation seems cheaper/similarly priced to self catered? Everywhere else self catered seems to be miles cheaper, and tbh it was my prefered option :frown: I guess it's cos most of the self-catered rooms are the expensive en-suite ones...

Alllssssoooooo, does anyone get whats happenning with Derwent? On the website, they've added blocks but given no information about them... I was very interesed by block J (?) which is ecomony standared self-catered but I have no idea what/where that is. Will it be the old Langwith blocks, or something else entirely?
Reply 256
Original post by stac4321

yer only standard self catered is cheaper.

derwent is merging with langwith (wich will relocate to heslington east), so the blocks you see there are probably in the okd langwith buildings.
Original post by stac4321
Alllssssoooooo, does anyone get whats happenning with Derwent? On the website, they've added blocks but given no information about them... I was very interesed by block J (?) which is ecomony standared self-catered but I have no idea what/where that is. Will it be the old Langwith blocks, or something else entirely?

It will be old Langwith, yeah :smile:
Original post by CalculatorFocused
Oh my, yes please! If I were to apply to York, it would be for the Linguistics and Maths combined honours degree, so I'm very interested in how your course is going! I've never really experienced linguistics, or at least it being taught, so basically, is it interesting? (After telling some people about linguistics, they've groaned with boredom about it haha). What does the course require you to do? Is it extremely essay based? Are there many people studying that course? What pushed you to choose linguistics? How are the lecturers? Do they really push you to succeed, and motivate you?

Also, a bit generalized, but what sort of timetable for the day do you have? How many lectures do you have a week etc, and are there smaller class sessions too?

(I'm nearly finished, I promise haha), but do you like York as a University? Is the nightlife .. acceptable? Did you make friends easily?

Thanks so much, sorry for the sudden flow of questions :colondollar:

Sorry about the ridiculously late reply, my life kind of disappeared into revision and exams and revision and ugh.

But yes, I find (most of) the course incredibly interesting, much more so than I did when I arrived in October. As you're joint honours, I don't actually know which modules you'll be doing - but no, it's not essay-based at all, in my experience. One module (that you'll probably do) has a few short essays, but we don't regularly do essays at all. That doesn't mean there isn't much work, though :biggrin:

There's quite a lot of people studying Linguistics, most of them do English Language with it but obviously there'll be a few other people on your specific course :smile: I think I chose Linguistics because I was really interested in the subject (and partly because I wanted to do something I'd never done before). Most of our lecturers are great, and the ones that aren't are at least good and informative :smile:

The timetable seems to work out differently each term, in Autumn and Spring I had ten hours a week, one lecture a week for each module and a seminar (smaller group teaching, pretty useful if you actually go to them). Although you may well have more because Maths sounds like the kind of thing that would have quite a few contact hours?

I really love York as a university, despite all the complaining I do :smile: Campus is really lovely and there are some great people here and the course is interesting. Haha, the nightlife :biggrin: WELL. It really depends where you've come from/what you're used to and what you like. To me, it's completely acceptable (coming from somewhere of a similar size but much less nice than York) :smile: It's pretty easy to meet people here, and with the amount of societies and stuff (and obviously your house/flatmates and coursemates) you'll pretty much definitely find people that you get on with :smile:
Reply 259
Name: Bethany
Course: Bioarchaeology
Offer: Conditional.
Favorite accommodation: James, I think. Because the arch department's off site, so it doesn't really matter to me...
Looking forward to: Being in York again. Also meeting like-minded people. I don't know many archaelogists.

Quick Reply

Latest