The Student Room Group

Anyone do CCEA Double Award Biology today?

How did you find it if you did?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me!! Did it in 45 minutes. I thought it was quite easy and I reckon ive got at least an B possibly a A. Although I forgot to revise the watson and Crick thing so I lost marks but only 2. What answers did you get?
Reply 2
I was partially finished within a half hour, went back and filled in some blanks. I believe I got the starch molecule question wrong, I just drew the glucose hexagon inside the enzyme. I think it should have been several glucose held together by bonds. Forgot to write lymphocytes for the white blood cell question, wrote antibodies though. Didn't write the urea was toxic, only that it has to be removed due to excess amino acid buildup. So that's probably a few marks lost. Overall I found it went well. I wrote Watson for double helix and different base shapes and Wilkins for X-ray model

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I found it really hard :frown: oh no.. it's gonna bring all my other science marks down! :angry:
Reply 4
You likely done better than you think, chemistry will probably be bad for me. Havent looked at it in months.

Reply 5
Original post by TheMysteryMan
I was partially finished within a half hour, went back and filled in some blanks. I believe I got the starch molecule question wrong, I just drew the glucose hexagon inside the enzyme. I think it should have been several glucose held together by bonds. Forgot to write lymphocytes for the white blood cell question, wrote antibodies though. Didn't write the urea was toxic, only that it has to be removed due to excess amino acid buildup. So that's probably a few marks lost. Overall I found it went well. I wrote Watson for double helix and different base shapes and Wilkins for X-ray model

Aw crap I did the exact same thing as you for the molecule? Were was that in the textbook, I don't recall ever doing that. I also wrote antibodies aswell, I think i'll probably get 4 marks though. For the Urea one I just wrote that It was poisonous. I'm a bit worried now. The one that will bring me down is chemistry just because No matter how much I revise I always make a mistake. :angry:
You likely done better than you think, chemistry will probably be bad for me. Havent looked at it in months.

Hopefully, I can't stop thinking about it lool
We have a bit of time to look over chemistry though :smile:
Reply 7
I'm just guessing for the starch one. Isn't starch made up of many glucose cells combined? Oh well only 2 marks if we did do it wrong.

Wish I had to have written urea is poisonous/toxic, too late now! :P
Reply 8
Original post by Procrastinator123
Hopefully, I can't stop thinking about it lool
We have a bit of time to look over chemistry though :smile:

Chemistry isn't good for me, I've glimpsed at papers and they are keen on colours and observations; ill have to learn those well.
Reply 9
Chemistry isn't good for me, I've glimpsed at papers and they are keen on colours and observations; ill have to learn those well.

That simple our chemistry teacher gave us a formula to remember it.

Group 1-3 Solids are Colourless.
Groups 1-3 Solutions are white
Copper salts in solution are blue
Anhydrous Copper sulphate is white
Hydrated Copper sulphate is blue.

Thats all you really need to know for colours.
Original post by Frostyjoe
That simple our chemistry teacher gave us a formula to remember it.

Group 1-3 Solids are Colourless.
Groups 1-3 Solutions are white
Copper salts in solution are blue
Anhydrous Copper sulphate is white
Hydrated Copper sulphate is blue.

Thats all you really need to know for colours.

I assume you mixed solids and liquids up in your post above. That's quite helpful, never noticed that before. Any other useful tricks for chemistry or even physics? :smile:

I assume you mixed solids and liquids up in your post above. That's quite helpful, never noticed that before. Any other useful tricks for chemistry or even physics? :smile:

Not really, you just have to learn it all. Although for Balancing I used to be crap at it but now I'm ok, If you draw wee circles below each element then that can help you.

Then for Metals and acids reactions there is a acronym MASH which stands for

Metal + Acid --- Metal Salt + Hydrogen.

Physics is easy all you really do is learn the equations and the electricity things. I think you could get a B without learning anything but equations.
Reply 12
What did you write for the rate of water uptake question?
I don't remember it, sorry.

Sure it was same exam?

Original post by jkpmc
What did you write for the rate of water uptake question?

If you look in the mark scheme for transpiration all you had to do was write that except change it for temperature. Well at least thats what I did. I messed it up though.
Original post by Frostyjoe
If you look in the mark scheme for transpiration all you had to do was write that except change it for temperature. Well at least thats what I did. I messed it up though.

I don't remember this one at all. Was it the the (tomato?) question on photosynthesis?
I don't remember this one at all. Was it the the (tomato?) question on photosynthesis?

No it was the question on plant transpiration and how it is affected by Temperature. Maybe you did the modular one?
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes I done modular, and just screwed up the chemistry exam lol

Reply 18
Did anyone do double award chemistry today?
Reply 19
yes, i did it :L. i thought it was an alright paper, the past papers i did where easier though -_- but i still think i got an A :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest