The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
Sapphire 7850 is a good choice :smile:

Gotta agree with this, I've got one and it overclocks like a beast.
Any suggestions for a £500 laptop. Used for a mixture of gaming, programming and work.
Reply 7082
Can anybody advise on when the new Ivy Bridge laptops are going to come out? I'm looking to get a laptop with a good processor, at least 6-8GB of RAM and an SSD with a budget of around £800-1000. I'd like it to be fairly portable because I'll probably take it to university next September, and obviously good battery life would be a plus. I've been looking at ultrabooks but I wouldn't mind something slightly bigger if it means I can get better specs.
Original post by Fizzeh
Iqbal007, thankyou very much for your reply and suggestions. I am typing from a Lenovo now; they are very reliable laptops indeed! I've bookmarked both of the laptops that you suggested and even if they aren't available by the time I get my student finance, I will look for similar specs. Your advice was excellent!

Hanvyj, thankfully I already have a graphics tablet; I was more talking about the laptop being able to run my tablet and the above programs simultaneously. :smile: Thankyou for your reply, however!

Just come back on TSR when you do have the finances to buy it, by then specs should be slightly better.
Original post by und
Can anybody advise on when the new Ivy Bridge laptops are going to come out? I'm looking to get a laptop with a good processor, at least 6-8GB of RAM and an SSD with a budget of around £800-1000. I'd like it to be fairly portable because I'll probably take it to university next September, and obviously good battery life would be a plus. I've been looking at ultrabooks but I wouldn't mind something slightly bigger if it means I can get better specs.

There likely to come out within the next 2 months or so.
When they do, just make a thread in the laptop section and we'll reply as soon as possible.
What was that website I found last night that was like a pc build wish list.

It gave you all the different components and then you clicked on each one and selected what model you wanted. Then when you went to pick another component it hid the ones that didn't work with what you had picked so far.

Then when you where finished you could see a price breakdown for each different supplier, dabs, ebuyer, novatech etc.
Original post by wcp100
Any suggestions for a £500 laptop. Used for a mixture of gaming, programming and work.

Well for programming and work, under £500 is doable, not sure about gaming, I'm a skeptic of the intel HD integrated graphics.

Have you got your own Windows cd?
Original post by Iqbal007
Well for programming and work, under £500 is doable, not sure about gaming, I'm a skeptic of the intel HD integrated graphics.

Have you got your own Windows cd?

When I say gaming, I'm not one of these, "I want to play crysis on full", people.

Yes I have a windows Cd.
Original post by wcp100
When I say gaming, I'm not one of these, "I want to play crysis on full", people.

Yes I have a windows Cd.

That's fair enough, but what sort of games do you want to be playing. If they're modern ones then the Intel 4000 (which is the integrated graphics that come with the new Ivy Bridge processors) may still struggle (on some of them, not all - some games it will be fine) even at lowest settings.
Hey guys; just wondering - can anyone see any difference between these two motherboards:

http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-z77-d3h-s1155-intel-z77-ddr3-atx-800V.html?q=z77%20d3h&src=16

And

http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-z77-ds3h-s1155-intel-z77-ddr3-atx-8307.html?q=z77%20ds3h&src=16

They seem the same by all possible measures but I don't want to regret going for the £10 cheaper one.

EDIT: Turns out the cheaper one has 2 fewer USB 3.0 sockets, and 1 fewer SATA 3GB/s connectors.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
That's fair enough, but what sort of games do you want to be playing. If they're modern ones then the Intel 4000 (which is the integrated graphics that come with the new Ivy Bridge processors) may still struggle (on some of them, not all - some games it will be fine) even at lowest settings.

Does this count as a game?

Spoiler

and Battlefield. The old ones. Now I've admitted my geekiness.
Original post by wcp100

Spoiler

Don't worry I play both of these. :tongue: Afraid I'm on my phone right now so ill have a look for you later when I'm on the PC :smile:
Original post by wcp100

Spoiler

Hmm... Well I'm finding it hard to find a decent laptop with a dedicated graphics card for under £500, unless you're willing to buy a refurbished (more often they're not refurbished - just cancellations) Dell XPS 15 from dell outlet.

If that isn't an option; I'd just say wait a month or so until more Ivy Bridge laptops start rolling out; because the Intel 4000 should satisfy most of your gaming needs.
Original post by hassi94
Hmm... Well I'm finding it hard to find a decent laptop with a dedicated graphics card for under £500, unless you're willing to buy a refurbished (more often they're not refurbished - just cancellations) Dell XPS 15 from dell outlet.

If that isn't an option; I'd just say wait a month or so until more Ivy Bridge laptops start rolling out; because the Intel 4000 should satisfy most of your gaming needs.

Excellent I'll do that then. I'm avoiding getting one after the release of Windows 8. It's bl**dy awful.
Original post by wcp100
Excellent I'll do that then. I'm avoiding getting one after the release of Windows 8. It's bl**dy awful.

Yeah, it's pretty horrible. You could always just install windows 7 over it if worst came to worst.
Original post by hassi94
Yeah, it's pretty horrible. You could always just install windows 7 over it if worst came to worst.

I'd rather not invalidate and warranties doing so though.
Hi all,

My computer has finally done its last nose dive into oblivion and i cant save it no matter how hard i try.

I have little to no knowledge of computing but ive tried to find out what i can. Im still not confident in my skills.

Ive so far come up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/9gkU
but i was wondering if anyone here can see any major problems or can do better than i can :smile: Im on a £400-£500 budget

Sorry for being 'that guy'
Original post by andmeaning
Hi all,

My computer has finally done its last nose dive into oblivion and i cant save it no matter how hard i try.

I have little to no knowledge of computing but ive tried to find out what i can. Im still not confident in my skills.

Ive so far come up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/9gkU
but i was wondering if anyone here can see any major problems or can do better than i can :smile: Im on a £400-£500 budget

Sorry for being 'that guy'

Change the i5 2400 to an i5 3450 - same price. I don't see any need to get a third party CPU cooler since you won't be overclocking.
I was looking a bit more at some different configs for my build and I'm wondering if to try and keep the budget around the £500 mark, if I got an AMD CPU instead of the I5 I could then get possibly a GTX 570 graphics card?
Reply 7099
Hey all :smile: Anyone willing to poke my build and check for holes? I don't think there are compatibility issues... Have a few concerns about the budget 6850 card, and about power supply being too small as I'll be over-clocking. :colone:

On top of compatibility checks, I was wondering if anyone could suggest any areas for down-grading in order to save a bit of money. This build is quite a costly one! I'm thinking look for budget PSU/Case... THANKS ALL!!!!

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending