The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TkTk
Hey all :smile: Anyone willing to poke my build and check for holes? I don't think there are compatibility issues... Have a few concerns about the budget 6850 card, and about power supply being too small as I'll be over-clocking. :colone:

On top of compatibility checks, I was wondering if anyone could suggest any areas for down-grading in order to save a bit of money. This build is quite a costly one! I'm thinking look for budget PSU/Case... THANKS ALL!!!!

Spoiler

I'd spend £10 extra of an 3570k rather than the i5 2500k, but that's your call really. The PSU is more than enough, with your build as it is you could use a 500w absolutely fine (or even a 450W) - but there's no issue with getting the 650W. Just means when you upgrade your graphics card it'll still be up for the job.

About the cooler, it's very large and (according to reviews) doesn't allow you to put the fan on the other side - so you might find it blocks RAM slots.

Speaking of RAM - if you go for the 3570k and the motherboard separately then go for 8GB Corsair Vengeance for £40 :smile:

I don't honestly see a way you can save money - you haven't really been lavish with anything (not criticising - I'm the same), just sensible. You could perhaps strip £15-25 by buying a basic Gigabyte model. Gigabyte would be my first choice whether they were cheaper or not; due to Asus' horrendous returns service - whilst gigabyte have the best in the country for motherboards/graphics cards.

Oh, the graphics card. It should play most recent games on High, and a fair few on very high settings. It might struggle at high settings (by struggle I mean stay at about 30 FPS - I don't enjoy playing at anything below 40-50 personally) on some of the higher end newer games (Metro, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3) but overall it should be fine. If you were willing to spend an extra 35 pounds you could get a 6870 which is a fair bit of an improvement - but certainly not massive. OR if you could spend an extra £100 you could get a 7850 which would be a pretty massive improvement (but I'm unsure that you'd be willing to spend that).
(edited 11 years ago)
bIw3b.jpg

What about that build config?

If I have some extra cash I might upgrade the 4100 to a 8120.

Also would that be able to run Bukkit and 1 minecraft client, no other people would be logged onto the server.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by wcp100
Does this count as a game?

Spoiler

and Battlefield. The old ones. Now I've admitted my geekiness.

You'd be suprised by minecraft, it needs some decent requirements to play at greater than 10FPS, probably easier to play your old BF games
Original post by wcp100
When I say gaming, I'm not one of these, "I want to play crysis on full", people.

Yes I have a windows Cd.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/nspirepro2450.html

Novatech nSpire Pro 2450 - 15.6" Intel i5 2450 Mobile Processor - 4GB DDR3 Memory - 500GB SATA Hard Drive - DVD Writer - Intel HM65 Chipset - NVIDIA GT540M Graphics

Just about £510 without windows :smile:
Original post by andmeaning
Hi all,

My computer has finally done its last nose dive into oblivion and i cant save it no matter how hard i try.

I have little to no knowledge of computing but ive tried to find out what i can. Im still not confident in my skills.

Ive so far come up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/9gkU
but i was wondering if anyone here can see any major problems or can do better than i can :smile: Im on a £400-£500 budget

Sorry for being 'that guy'

Your build has a few issues certainly.

As Hassi stated get the newer one for the same price.

Nor is their any point in a high end cpu cooler as you won't be pushing your cpu, if you just want noise and temperature to be lower,you can do it for a far cheaper option.

Don't consider that board, it's a mATX, few people make this mistake, it is cheaper, however the board is a lot smaller the standard ones, with limited capability and are for people with a small case and limited space, but your case is large. So cut back on the aftermarket cooler and put more money on the motherboard, especially if you want to expand it in the future.

560 GTX is a bit too much money, considering you got the 560 ti which is better for a bit more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TkTk
Hey all :smile: Anyone willing to poke my build and check for holes? I don't think there are compatibility issues... Have a few concerns about the budget 6850 card, and about power supply being too small as I'll be over-clocking. :colone:

On top of compatibility checks, I was wondering if anyone could suggest any areas for down-grading in order to save a bit of money. This build is quite a costly one! I'm thinking look for budget PSU/Case... THANKS ALL!!!!

Spoiler

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-p8z77-v-lx--intel-core-i5-3570k---8gb-ddr3-performance-plus-ivybridge-bundle-8271.html?src=3
Asus P8Z77-V LX, Intel Core i5-3570K & 8GB DDR3 Performance Plus Ivybridge Bundle £330

The 6850 from what I remember, is the best value for money graphics card their is. The next level up is the 6870 for a bit more or the 7770HD.

The case and psu are fine, i got the 690 II bundle :smile:
Original post by quotidian
bIw3b.jpg

What about that build config?

If I have some extra cash I might upgrade the 4100 to a 8120.

Also would that be able to run Bukkit and 1 minecraft client, no other people would be logged onto the server.

I actually have the 8120..........but people will tell tell you that an i5 will have a bigger advantage in terms of gaming as it does.
Reply 7107
So I need a new desktop and I've got about £850 to spend on .. I want dual screens which are going to cost about £250 for both so I've got £600 left to spend everything else.
Need CPU/motherboard/ram/graphics card/HDD/SSD/Case
I need the pc for some gaming, some video editing, multitasking and general use.
Don't need the best graphics card, I mean I think the 6850 is good enough for me.
Original post by hamza7
So I need a new desktop and I've got about £850 to spend on .. I want dual screens which are going to cost about £250 for both so I've got £600 left to spend everything else.
Need CPU/motherboard/ram/graphics card/HDD/SSD/Case
I need the pc for some gaming, some video editing, multitasking and general use.
Don't need the best graphics card, I mean I think the 6850 is good enough for me.

How much video editing, because it would mean you'll need to get an i7 which will significantly take up a chunk of your budget?
Even the SSD will...............do u need a new PSU ? Can you use your old HDD?
Reply 7109
Original post by Iqbal007
How much video editing, because it would mean you'll need to get an i7 which will significantly take up a chunk of your budget?
Even the SSD will...............do u need a new PSU ? Can you use your old HDD?

Not that much editing, I think the i5 3570k will be fine.
I'll need a new PSU, but I guess I can keep my current HDD for the time being .. it's a 500GB 7200rpm WD that I got like two years ago xD
Still works fine, I guess I can format it, install fresh windows and I'll be fine.
Original post by hamza7
Not that much editing, I think the i5 3570k will be fine.
I'll need a new PSU, but I guess I can keep my current HDD for the time being .. it's a 500GB 7200rpm WD that I got like two years ago xD
Still works fine, I guess I can format it, install fresh windows and I'll be fine.

Because there is a big difference in terms of video editing between the i5 and i7 as the i7 has hyperthreading.

There is a good deal from coolmaster with their enforcer case and a 650 watt power supply for under 100.

Then I suggest keeping the HDD and spending the money on a SSD.
Reply 7111
Because there is a big difference in terms of video editing between the i5 and i7 as the i7 has hyperthreading.

There is a good deal from coolmaster with their enforcer case and a 650 watt power supply for under 100.

Then I suggest keeping the HDD and spending the money on a SSD.

Came up with this,

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/9knF

Couldn't find the case+psu so I just went with any case and psu.
How's that build with my 500GB HDD?
I've also got my DVD drive that I'm keeping.
Am I missing anything?
Original post by hamza7
Came up with this,

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/9knF

Couldn't find the case+psu so I just went with any case and psu.
How's that build with my 500GB HDD?
I've also got my DVD drive that I'm keeping.
Am I missing anything?

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&sort=popularity&limit=10&store=2&cat=23&filtermfr=151&filterca321=With+PSU

Here's the list of CM cases with CM PSU's.

OCZ isn't good from what i hear.

http://www.ebuyer.com/266526-crucial-128gb-2-5-m4-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-415mb-s-write-175mb-s-ct128m4ssd2
Crucial 128GB M4 SSD £83

You could then spend the extra savings on a 6870 HD for under £120 from XFX which should increase performance on 2 screens.

Is your old dvd drive a sata one?
Also are you looking to overclock or add a few fans to your case?
Reply 7113
http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&sort=popularity&limit=10&store=2&cat=23&filtermfr=151&filterca321=With+PSU

Here's the list of CM cases with CM PSU's.

OCZ isn't good from what i hear.

http://www.ebuyer.com/266526-crucial-128gb-2-5-m4-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-415mb-s-write-175mb-s-ct128m4ssd2
Crucial 128GB M4 SSD £83

You could then spend the extra savings on a 6870 HD for under £120 from XFX which should increase performance on 2 screens.

Is your old dvd drive a sata one?
Also are you looking to overclock or add a few fans to your case?

Oh thanks for the tip :biggrin:
And yeah my DVD drives sata.
About overclocking .. probably but don't want to push it that much, not sure about fans though .. don't think so.

edit: how far do you think I could push it with stock fan?
Reply 7114
http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-p8z77-v-lx--intel-core-i5-3570k---8gb-ddr3-performance-plus-ivybridge-bundle-8271.html?src=3
Asus P8Z77-V LX, Intel Core i5-3570K & 8GB DDR3 Performance Plus Ivybridge Bundle £330

The 6850 from what I remember, is the best value for money graphics card their is. The next level up is the 6870 for a bit more or the 7770HD.

The case and psu are fine, i got the 690 II bundle :smile:

Nice to hear the psu/case bundle is a good'un!

Reply 7115
Original post by hassi94
I'd spend £10 extra of an 3570k rather than the i5 2500k, but that's your call really. The PSU is more than enough, with your build as it is you could use a 500w absolutely fine (or even a 450W) - but there's no issue with getting the 650W. Just means when you upgrade your graphics card it'll still be up for the job.

About the cooler, it's very large and (according to reviews) doesn't allow you to put the fan on the other side - so you might find it blocks RAM slots.

Speaking of RAM - if you go for the 3570k and the motherboard separately then go for 8GB Corsair Vengeance for £40 :smile:

I don't honestly see a way you can save money - you haven't really been lavish with anything (not criticising - I'm the same), just sensible. You could perhaps strip £15-25 by buying a basic Gigabyte model. Gigabyte would be my first choice whether they were cheaper or not; due to Asus' horrendous returns service - whilst gigabyte have the best in the country for motherboards/graphics cards.

Oh, the graphics card. It should play most recent games on High, and a fair few on very high settings. It might struggle at high settings (by struggle I mean stay at about 30 FPS - I don't enjoy playing at anything below 40-50 personally) on some of the higher end newer games (Metro, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3) but overall it should be fine. If you were willing to spend an extra 35 pounds you could get a 6870 which is a fair bit of an improvement - but certainly not massive. OR if you could spend an extra £100 you could get a 7850 which would be a pretty massive improvement (but I'm unsure that you'd be willing to spend that).

Are you sure 500watts is sufficient? I tried creating a 6850 build on Cyberpower and it was pushing me for a 700watt minimum! It's making me consider switching through to a 7770 purely as its stable on 500watts and performance shouldn't change much (right?). Oh, and I do intend to overclock btw!

Hmmm certainly sounds like a decent reason to switch motherboard, what about MSI? I could get a Z77 chip-set for the cheapest with them!

Finally, about RAM. What are your thoughts on 4x2gb rather than 2x4gb? Is there any advantage in terms of heat spreading?

Thanks for everything so far! :colone:
Original post by hamza7
Oh thanks for the tip :biggrin:
And yeah my DVD drives sata.
About overclocking .. probably but don't want to push it that much, not sure about fans though .. don't think so.

edit: how far do you think I could push it with stock fan?

Well the stock cooler is basic I would say, even my cpu when it starts going turbo and playing games hit's about 60 degrees........so if your honestly want to, there's a few aftermarket coolers like the Gelid Tranquillo or Arctic cooler freezer 13 or the hyper evo.

Sometimes they help, but it depends on the case for the fans, like mine has fan space above the gpu and cpu.
Original post by TkTk
Are you sure 500watts is sufficient? I tried creating a 6850 build on Cyberpower and it was pushing me for a 700watt minimum! It's making me consider switching through to a 7770 purely as its stable on 500watts and performance shouldn't change much (right?). Oh, and I do intend to overclock btw!

Hmmm certainly sounds like a decent reason to switch motherboard, what about MSI? I could get a Z77 chip-set for the cheapest with them!

Finally, about RAM. What are your thoughts on 4x2gb rather than 2x4gb? Is there any advantage in terms of heat spreading?

Thanks for everything so far! :colone:

500 watt is generally enough, but as your overclocking you'll need some headroom for it, so 600+watt would suffice.

Don't buy from cyberpower, build it yourself, they make quite a bit of money.
Don't get the cheapest for the price, get the most value for money.

2 x 4gb is better, look at what will happen when you need more ram, you'll spend more money.
Hi guys,

Decided that my old comp just doesn't cut it any-more and im looking into building a new one.

Going to need it for video editing (adobe premier etc), as well as all my general use and a few games dashed in here and there (skyrim and such)

Ive got about a £450 budget and very little knowledge but ive tried to teach myself. So far ive come up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/9kCn

havnt selected a case because of space restrictions and such.(what could i actually fit these parts in, sort thing)
Is it possible to use any parts from my current pc; Aspire x3810, such as the optical drive to reduce how much i need to fork out.

Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by woofwoofkapow
Hi guys,

Decided that my old comp just doesn't cut it any-more and im looking into building a new one.

Going to need it for video editing (adobe premier etc), as well as all my general use and a few games dashed in here and there (skyrim and such)

Ive got about a £450 budget and very little knowledge but ive tried to teach myself. So far ive come up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/9kCn

havnt selected a case because of space restrictions and such.(what could i actually fit these parts in, sort thing)
Is it possible to use any parts from my current pc; Aspire x3810, such as the optical drive to reduce how much i need to fork out.

Thanks guys :smile:

Is it this http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Grade_A1_-_Acer_Aspire_X3810_Desktop_PC_with_Windows_Vista_Home_Premium___A1-98.ONM7Z.UPP/version.asp?

Or give me a link to it with all the product details...

Just to let you know, an i7 is the best for video editing and i5 would struggle slightly, but for gaming it's fine.

And change that 550 ti to a 6850 HD which is the same price and it's better.

You just need a standard ATX case, guessing from the Acer you have, they are much bigger.

Latest

Trending

Trending