The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coco739
How much would you need to get full 140 ums in this unit? Just sizing up my chances :frown:

Last year the cap for 140 UMS was 77 marks, the year before it was 76.

Original post by coco739
Has there been an essay on the role of protiens? That would be amazing. enzymes, hameoglobin, myosin actin, etc

Nope there hasn't been yet. I agree that would be a good essay to write, plenty to write about :smile:
Reply 461
can anyone help me on question 5 from the june 11 paper....
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
Reply 462
Original post by narnia123
I know for a fact i'd be bricking it if this came up in the exam. Im pretty crap at thinking of stuff to put in essays, but i'd say you could talk about:
-Ca ions in muscle contraction and synapses
-Cl ions in post synaptic membranes
-Na/K pump
-H bonding of water molecules (transpiration pull in plants)? not too sure about that one
-Na ions in action potentials
-H in DNA
Sorry there's not much and some might be wrong :biggrin:

thanks man yu sickk sickk guyyyy!
Original post by MustyQ
thanks man yu sickk sickk guyyyy!

Lol no sweat

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by rss.914
can anyone help me on question 5 from the june 11 paper....
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

You'd get a better response if you stated which part of the question you need help with. However, make sure you read the passage at the start of the question carefully; it gives you invaluable information.
It's worth pointing out that one of the very basic essay question titles can come out. Like.....

'Write about the different types of cells in organisms'

If I got that in the exam without revising it, I would facepalm myself hard.....

So learn some cells in a good amount of detail.

Remember that for any essay, each small topic should only be a maximum of 10 lines as you will only gain 2 marks for scientific content. So your looking for 6-8 good points to talk about, if your looking to score around 20+/25 marks for the essay...... Background knowledge outside of the syllabus will help.

Like for example if one of your paragraphs are about enzymes, you could bring in a fact or something, that is outside of the syllabus (e.g. the human body contains roughly 50,000 different enzymes) which will impress your examiner.

xD
Reply 466
any links to specimen unit 5 past paper AQA
Reply 467
Original post by NutterFrutter
You'd get a better response if you stated which part of the question you need help with. However, make sure you read the passage at the start of the question carefully; it gives you invaluable information.

just part a and b.
Reply 468
I dont think we'll get anything on ATP or proteins specifically, even though i would hope we did. I think we may get either:

Describe how plants are adapted for their function/for survival.
Something on variation. e.g. Role of DNA in genetic variation...
Describe biological pathways.

Any of these three, imo, would be brilliant.
Reply 469
I have a question that says:
Figure 1 shows part of a single myofirbril from a skeletal muscle fibre as it appears under an optical microscope. The myofibril in Figure 1 is magnified x 8000. A muscle fibre is 40 micrometres in diameter. Calculate the number of myofibrils which would fit side by side across the diameter of the muscle fibre. (2 marks)

Can anyone help without seeing the diagram? the diagram just shows arrows on the Z-lines. It does't give you the actual size or an indication of where to measure the observed value..
Reply 470
Does anyone know what the guideline are for how many separate points in the essay that we're suppose to write about? My teacher spent literally 5 mins talking about the essay and gave us zero resources to help. :angry:
(edited 11 years ago)
Total: 25 marks for the essay

Scientific content: 16 marks
Breadth of knowledge: 3 marks
Relevance: 3 marks
Quality of language: 3 marks

From what my teachers tell me, the average person will gain around 12/16 for scientific content, with the remaining 9 marks (which should be mostly achievable) making up for the rest of the marks.

Also, having looked at past papers nerves and muscles didn't come up much - could potentially be a few big questions on these.

I'm hoping, because of the fairly low grade boundaries (65/100 raw marks for an A in June'11) that I'll be able to achieve what I need... still, I haven't really gotten down to hardcore revision for biology yet. A bit worried - just can't seem to find the motivation.
anyone got any good websites i can use for biology essay help?
Original post by Pritesh.Mistry

From what my teachers tell me, the average person will gain around 12/16 for scientific content, with the remaining 9 marks (which should be mostly achievable) making up for the rest of the marks.

Also, having looked at past papers nerves and muscles didn't come up much - could potentially be a few big questions on these.

I'm hoping, because of the fairly low grade boundaries (65/100 raw marks for an A in June'11) that I'll be able to achieve what I need... still, I haven't really gotten down to hardcore revision for biology yet. A bit worried - just can't seem to find the motivation.

I'm hoping the boundaries stay around 63-64 for an A. That's what i need, hopefully.

Will the average person really receive 12 marks?

As for the essay structure, what were you told by your teacher? 6-8 different key points?

cheers
Reply 474
Original post by sensei_mooni
anyone got any good websites i can use for biology essay help?

This. Someone help us!
Original post by James A
I'm hoping the boundaries stay around 63-64 for an A. That's what i need, hopefully.

Will the average person really receive 12 marks?

As for the essay structure, what were you told by your teacher? 6-8 different key points?

cheers

The average A grade Unit 5 paper receives 12/16 Content marks for the essay.
Reply 476
Haven't done the June 2010 paper, or the specimen paper :confused:

Still need to brush up on a few things, and do some more essay plans..
Reply 477
If they asked: Write about the biological reactions and pathways that occur within living organisms, what kind of things should we talk about?
how are people recognising which things they could use from the syllabus for essay, my mind just goes blank, even though i do remember AS stuff i still cant remember the right things :frown:
Reply 479
Original post by Pritesh.Mistry

Cheers! That helps! Do you know how much depth we have to go into on each point? I find the genetic stuff a nightmare to talk about concisely. Also in regards to the non-curriculum specific stuff: is it suppose to be detailed or a sentence or two at most?

Our teacher just seemed to stop bothering in the last term as he was leaving the school at the end of the year. No one feels very prepared at all in our class. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest