The Student Room Group

Anyone want to learn a language over summer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Perfectly_Imperfect
Arabic!

Lmao love the sig
I would love to learn Dutch! I have a lot of Dutch friends who could help out too :smile:
Would love to learn Spanish over the summer :smile:
Original post by Miracle Day
I just want to put forth an idea.

I'm fluent in English and Welsh and would love to learn a third.

For those of us with lots of free time this summer, shall we pick a language and help eachother self teach this language by providing support, material and encouragement? It could become an annual thing. The fluent speakers of said language on this forum would also help us im sure.

I want to learn Latin...but we all know I wont be able to xD
Arabic? Mandarin? :biggrin:
I'm tempted to take up a new language but should probably focus on my German and Russian for now... Particularly since the main two languages I would be interested in learning, Dutch and Polish, might confuse me because they're similar. I often wish I spoke Spanish and Hebrew too, might leave that until September though as my uni does free language courses :wink:

Will definitely be doing everything I can to improve my German and Russian this summer though, so challenge (partially) accepted :biggrin:
Reply 26
I'll be learning the basics of German in an academy and keep studying French (B2 level).

I can help with the Spanish.
Original post by DannyJC
Hola, I have bFeen so interested in Spanish.

Do you believe in love at first sight? It's an illusion, I don't care.

Original post by pink pineapple

Check out a site called duolingo, it allows you to learn a language for free. It's still in beta format but is going live soon and I know French and Spanish are going to be up with Italian and mandarin coming later. I think German might be up too!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xmarilynx
I'm tempted to take up a new language but should probably focus on my German and Russian for now... Particularly since the main two languages I would be interested in learning, Dutch and Polish, might confuse me because they're similar. I often wish I spoke Spanish and Hebrew too, might leave that until September though as my uni does free language courses :wink:

Will definitely be doing everything I can to improve my German and Russian this summer though, so challenge (partially) accepted :biggrin:

Marilyn I hope you don't mind me asking such a nosy question, but I looked at your signature and I wondered, how does one acquire a position at a foreign university? There is no government subsidy, is that right? I'm only a college student so I'm not well versed in how universities work. I'm just curious. :smile:
I'm already kind of fluent in French because my mum's French but I'd like to read some more books and watch some more movies so that I can become really comfortable!
I'd like to learn Italian- thought it would be a good start because between English, French and lots musical Italian terms you can understand quite a lot
Reply 30
Yay :smile: definitely joining. I do my B2 DELF exam in a month, so I'd like to improve till then.

I am a native German, so I can preread texts or help you with grammar and vocabulary :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 31
Original post by Emmie3303
I'd love to learn Welsh or Dutch. I'm afraid I only speak English fluently but I have an A2 in French so I'd be able to help people with the basics. I'd love to brush up on my French again since I've let it slide over the last two years. Great idea OP :smile:.

Don't worry, it comes back to you pretty quick when you start using it again.
I'm totally joining this, I love being able to speak other languages.

I can help with French.

Original post by pink pineapple

Me too. :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by alaska.
Yay :smile: definitely joining. I do my B2 DELF exam in a month, so I'd like to improve till then.

I am a native German, so I can preread texts or help you with grammar and vocabulary :smile:

Good luck!!

I did the DELF B2 this last february :smile:
I barely passed (58/100) but I had five months to prepare it and I started almost from scratch :h:
Reply 34
Original post by Mediterrasian
I'm totally joining this, I love being able to speak other languages.

I can help with French.

Could you maybe proofread a text of me if I sent it to you? Or is anybody else willing to help me? :smile:

Reply 35
:redface: This sounds like fun!!!

But I am going to be learning Japaneese at UCL's Language Summer School - Thank you very much language requirement :frown:
Original post by Thomas2
Don't worry, it comes back to you pretty quick when you start using it again.

Sometimes I speak it (randomly, I don't know why!) or I hear it on TV and I'm surprised at how much I still understand. I think I just need to go back over the grammar a little and learn more vocab :smile:.

Original post by nataliekwong
I want to learn Latin...but we all know I wont be able to xD

I'd love to try this too. I was going to do it this summer and use the materials from the Latin teaching page on my university website but procrastination is winning so far :p:. Maybe we could try and encourage eachother :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by r4ndom
Good luck!!

I did the DELF B2 this last february :smile:
I barely passed (58/100) but I had five months to prepare it and I started almost from scratch :h:

I did the DELF B1 last year, but I didn't speak or use any french for a year now. Reading seems to be fine, but I worry a lot about the Speaking and Listening part :/

But thanks for letting me know :smile: makes me feel a bit bettter :biggrin:
Reply 38
Definitely! Took a year and a half of Spanish before transferring, but haven't used it since, so I've forgotten a lot of vocabulary.
Plus, I'd like to learn Japanese without my parents telling me to focus on school stuff. I love this idea
Original post by alaska.
Could you maybe proofread a text of me if I sent it to you? Or is anybody else willing to help me? :smile:

I do French too so I might be able to help :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest