The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As has been said, for maths everyone here will have got pretty much 100% in most of their maths and further maths modules. I averaged over 90% in maths and further maths, yet there is no way I would have got the STEP requirements had I applied for maths. It really is another level.

Generally most applicants will average around 90% or a bit lower over all their modules when applying after AS.

Also, not trying to put you off maths in general, but if you're not consistently getting 95% at A level then I'd doubt Cambridge maths is for you. It's generally accepted to be the hardest course here, has one of (if not the) highest drop out rates and a lot of very clever people end up with a 2:2 or worse because of how hard it is.
(edited 11 years ago)
UMS are vital for Cambridge. Oxford not so much so...

Just remember to consider Imperial, Oxford and other unis and not just Cambridge, the odds are stacked against you after all! However, remember that you have an excellent chance, with hard work!!!
Reply 9202
Cambridge have an obsession with UMS. There are a couple of presentations on their website where they go through a detailed statistical analysis of how good an indicator UMS scores are for getting a First or a 2:2 in each course.

Luckily, UMS results are actually a fairly poor indicator of your chance of doing well in a Cambridge maths degree, so don't feel as if your UMS are going to let you down too badly in this case. What is really important, however, is your ability to answer interview questions and do well in STEP. Please be warned that Cambridge give out twice as many maths offers as they have places because they know so many people will miss out on their STEP offers! STEP preparation is really very important! They give out offers to more than a third of all applicants because of this.

Don't stress too much about the old personal statement. As long as it reflects your love for the subject (and isn't rife with spelling mistakes), they couldn't really give a toss about what it says.
Original post by Igrisok
Cambridge have an obsession with UMS. There are a couple of presentations on their website where they go through a detailed statistical analysis of how good an indicator UMS scores are for getting a First or a 2:2 in each course.

Luckily, UMS results are actually a fairly poor indicator of your chance of doing well in a Cambridge maths degree, so don't feel as if your UMS are going to let you down too badly in this case. What is really important, however, is your ability to answer interview questions and do well in STEP. Please be warned that Cambridge give out twice as many maths offers as they have places because they know so many people will miss out on their STEP offers! STEP preparation is really very important! They give out offers to more than a third of all applicants because of this.

Don't stress too much about the old personal statement. As long as it reflects your love for the subject (and isn't rife with spelling mistakes), they couldn't really give a toss about what it says.

so are you saying, its the interview questions that get people an offer? because doing step is after you get an offer isnt it? also, if the personal statement doesnt matter that much, what is it that prevents Cambridge from even giving you an interview? is it the AS grades?

those questions sound very direct, so just so you should know, im not trying to be rude.

Original post by tj hughes
UMS are vital for Cambridge. Oxford not so much so...

Just remember to consider Imperial, Oxford and other unis and not just Cambridge, the odds are stacked against you after all! However, remember that you have an excellent chance, with hard work!!!

wow really? oxford don't care so much about ums? its not possible to apply to both Camb and oxford is it?
Reply 9204
Original post by cooldudeman
so are you saying, its the interview questions that get people an offer? because doing step is after you get an offer isnt it? also, if the personal statement doesnt matter that much, what is it that prevents Cambridge from even giving you an interview? is it the AS grades?

those questions sound very direct, so just so you should know, im not trying to be rude.

wow really? oxford don't care so much about ums? its not possible to apply to both Camb and oxford is it?

You can't apply to both, sorry! Oxford are much more selective for interview and they don't ask for UMS. They'll use an aptitude test of their own to select for offers.

At Cambridge, performance at interview, I think, is key to getting a STEP offer. They'll use the UMS to filter out people with poorer AS results and the rest should go to interview. Cambridge interview the majority of their candidates.
Original post by Igrisok
You can't apply to both, sorry! Oxford are much more selective for interview and they don't ask for UMS. They'll use an aptitude test of their own to select for offers.

At Cambridge, performance at interview, I think, is key to getting a STEP offer. They'll use the UMS to filter out people with poorer AS results and the rest should go to interview. Cambridge interview the majority of their candidates.

so if a person would have 80% UMS in 4 AS subjects, is that a real disadvantage to getting an interview? what is considered as poor AS grades?
Reply 9206
so if a person would have 80% UMS in 4 AS subjects, is that a real disadvantage to getting an interview? what is considered as poor AS grades?

The average successful Cambridge applicant has a UMS average of around 93% in their subjects... Ridiculous, I know! 80% would definitely be considered a disadvantage, sorry!
Original post by Igrisok
The average successful Cambridge applicant has a UMS average of around 93% in their subjects... Ridiculous, I know! 80% would definitely be considered a disadvantage, sorry!

:O well im pretty sure ive got that in maths and law but definitely not physics and fm...

do you think i should give up Cambridge and try for Oxford since you said they dont look at ums?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9208
:O well im pretty sure ive got that in maths and law but definitely not physics and fm...

do you think i should give up Cambridge and try for Oxford since you said they dont look at ums?

That shouldn't be your only reason for choosing a university. Look at their course structure, talk to some people who did the course, visit the campuses if you can... Don't pick between the two just because you think you might be more likely to get in! And as I said, UMS isn't treated as a huge deal with maths, and remember that 50% of people will get below the mean mark!
Original post by Igrisok
That shouldn't be your only reason for choosing a university. Look at their course structure, talk to some people who did the course, visit the campuses if you can... Don't pick between the two just because you think you might be more likely to get in! And as I said, UMS isn't treated as a huge deal with maths, and remember that 50% of people will get below the mean mark!

ok thanks for the advice, i've actually been to both in school trips. man the buildings looked amazing!
How do Cambridge look at ISA marks, i.e the practical of your science a levels? Your mark in these exams depends entirely on how nice your teacher is, I know plenty of people that got 60/60 ums because their teacher basically gave them their answer, whereas I'm looking at 48/60 (45/50 raw marks, ridiculous boundaries due to the aforementioned reason of cheating.)

The reason this affects me is because if i got 95/100 in chem1, 140/140 in chem2 and 48/60 in the ISA then my chemistry AS = 94% but if they disregard my ISA then I have a 98% in chemistry (these are purely hypothetical numbers, just used for arguments sake)
Original post by Extricated
How do Cambridge look at ISA marks, i.e the practical of your science a levels? Your mark in these exams depends entirely on how nice your teacher is, I know plenty of people that got 60/60 ums because their teacher basically gave them their answer, whereas I'm looking at 48/60 (45/50 raw marks, ridiculous boundaries due to the aforementioned reason of cheating.)

The reason this affects me is because if i got 95/100 in chem1, 140/140 in chem2 and 48/60 in the ISA then my chemistry AS = 94% but if they disregard my ISA then I have a 98% in chemistry (these are purely hypothetical numbers, just used for arguments sake)

you put all modules down and they'll see that your exams are better than the ISA and they'll be aware of the cheating so I don't think a 'weak' ISA is a problem.
(edited 11 years ago)

Cambridge state that assessment of UMS is done on exam papers, not practicals. I'm sure they look at your practicals to see if you've done terribly or not, but they don't place any real weight on them.

The reason for this is that they're a truly rubbish indicator of ability - they're nothing like degree level labs nor the rest of your course, and also are very circumstantial.
Reply 9213
Hi I really want to study medicine and would like to apply to Cambridge. I got 7A*s and 5A's at GCSE and I've just done my AS levels! I'm grade 8 violin and I also play piano and guitar and I do taekwondo. Do you think I might be considered? Shall I take the risk and apply in October? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Aysena
Hi I really want to study medicine and would like to apply to Cambridge. I got 7A*s and 5A's at GCSE and I've just done my AS levels! I'm grade 8 violin and I also play piano and guitar and I do taekwondo. Do you think I might be considered? Shall I take the risk and apply in October? Thanks! :smile:

Do you do anything relevant to the course? Cambridge honestly couldn't care less what instruments you play or which style of martial arts you subscribe to. They will be interested in very strong UMS as Medicine is a competitive course, combined with a set of extra-curriculars which display a strong passion and aptitude for the subject.

If your music grades are all you have to put on your personal statement then I doubt you'd have a realistic chance at Medicine at Cambridge. Your AS grades could well be high enough to be competitive but without evidence of a strong commitment to and aptitude for Medicine as a career choice your chances are very slim.

On the SAQ you put all of your module scores down and there is a reason for this, because they want to know your exam scores really!
Original post by Alex Bampton
On the SAQ you put all of your module scores down and there is a reason for this, because they want to know your exam scores really!

I'm pretty sure you have to put your ISA mark down too?
I'm pretty sure you have to put your ISA mark down too?

Sorry wasn't clear.

You put down all of your individual modules (including practicals), they wouldn't do this if they were only interested in the "average UMS percentage" of that subject. They are looking at your exam record specifically.
Hey, I'm looking at applying to Cambridge for Maths this year. I've taken my Maths A level early and I'm quite sure I got an A* in that and over 90 UMS in all of my AS Further Maths modules except M2 which I messed up on and will probably be getting something like 70UMS. Do you reckon this would be an issue? :smile:
Go and look at a STEP paper. If all the questions look impossible to attempt, reconsider Oxbridge.

(I was deciding between Maths and NST at Cambridge with >95% UMS average in Maths/FM and STEP still looked impossible so I made a decision not to do it. Then subsequently someone else in my year who I consider much better than me at Maths applied got an offer and missed the STEP grades on it. I'm now struggling with the Maths component of NST even.)

Latest