The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Not staying in uni accommodation?

Hey everyone!

Figured I'd create this post as there are so many for people moving in to halls, however I have not seen any for people who are finding their own accommodation (or staying at home).

I will be studying nursing in September but have chosen to live in a private apartment. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im not staying there either...i chose opal one
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm staying at home (I live in Notts).
I'm still looking for private accommodation in Beeston, most of the good ones are taken :frown:
Reply 4
I am planning to live in private accommodation as well.
Beeston seems to be a nice city. Another option closer to Jubilee campus for me might be Wollaton.
Reply 5
Original post by MedicineBug
I'm still looking for private accommodation in Beeston, most of the good ones are taken :frown:

Original post by jlamas
Beeston seems to be a nice city. Another option closer to Jubilee campus for me might be Wollaton.

Beeston and Wollaton are really nice areas though that does put the cost up a bit. I'm originally from Bristol but moved to Nottingham 3 years ago so already have my own place here. If either of you need any advice on areas of the city feel free to ask. Where are you guys moving from?
Reply 6
Original post by simon.h
Beeston and Wollaton are really nice areas though that does put the cost up a bit. I'm originally from Bristol but moved to Nottingham 3 years ago so already have my own place here. If either of you need any advice on areas of the city feel free to ask. Where are you guys moving from?

I am moving from Brazil for one year masters in Human Computer Interaction. Do you know any reasonable neighborhood near Jubilee Campus ?

By the way, I am going to share it with another friend that is coming with me.
So, we were thinking of a two-bedroom house.

Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by jlamas

If you're talking about nottingham jubilee campus...... I have booked private accommodation at manor villages.... only bout 10-15 mins away and fairly cheap :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by simon.h

I shall be going to manor villages, near jubilee campus, as I have never actually visited nottingham, because I live in devon, can you shed some light on the whole nottingham lifestyle and what that area is like etc.
Original post by simon.h

I'm from BRISTOL too!! I'm kinda looking for properties in Beeston and Dunkirk.
Reply 10
Original post by jlamas
I am moving from Brazil for one year masters in Human Computer Interaction. Do you know any reasonable neighborhood near Jubilee Campus ?

By the way, I am going to share it with another friend that is coming with me.
So, we were thinking of a two-bedroom house.

Thanks.

Wow, exciting times!! In terms of areas near the university Beeston (or Chilwell) and Wollaton are the nicest. Lenton, Dunkirk and Derby Road are all reasonable student areas. You could also look at Castle Marina,The Park or in the City Centre itself (though these are mainly apartments, not houses). There are a few other places but they are starting to get further away so it depends how far you are willing to travel. I would avoid Radford (unless it's a secure student complex), Hyson Green, Forest Fields, Broxtowe and Aspley. If there are any other areas you would like to know about just let me know :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by moorbre
I shall be going to manor villages, near jubilee campus, as I have never actually visited nottingham, because I live in devon, can you shed some light on the whole nottingham lifestyle and what that area is like etc.

One of my friends who is about to graduate has been living at Manor Villages, they look quite nice and have a convenient location with regular buses going along Derby & Ilkeston Road. There are lots of student accommodation round that area so there are plenty of takeaways and a Lidl within a 1-2 minute walk. Wollaton Park is nearby which is worth a visit and there are often events throughout the year. Splendour is coming up soon is always popular. I personally like Nottingham more than other cities I have lived in and visited though I do live here so may be a little biased. I find the city big enough to have everything I want and small enough to always bump into people I know. It has a good selection of nightlife, sporting events, concerts and cultural things to do. Some people talk about Nottingham's rough reputation but I can honestly say it's a nice city. The problems tend to be within certain areas and groups of people so if you're not involved in that sort of thing there aren't any problems. Are you planning on visiting before moving in? Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 12
I'm from BRISTOL too!! I'm kinda looking for properties in Beeston and Dunkirk.

Where in Bristol are you from? Those areas are both nice, particularly Beeston and of course close to the campus. What are you going to study?
Reply 13
Original post by simon.h
One of my friends who is about to graduate has been living at Manor Villages, they look quite nice and have a convenient location with regular buses going along Derby & Ilkeston Road. There are lots of student accommodation round that area so there are plenty of takeaways and a Lidl within a 1-2 minute walk. Wollaton Park is nearby which is worth a visit and there are often events throughout the year. Splendour is coming up soon is always popular. I personally like Nottingham more than other cities I have lived in and visited though I do live here so may be a little biased. I find the city big enough to have everything I want and small enough to always bump into people I know. It has a good selection of nightlife, sporting events, concerts and cultural things to do. Some people talk about Nottingham's rough reputation but I can honestly say it's a nice city. The problems tend to be within certain areas and groups of people so if you're not involved in that sort of thing there aren't any problems. Are you planning on visiting before moving in? Hope this helps :smile:

No I'm not visiting before as it takes.too long to get there and costs too much :/ thanks for answering my question :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5570
Original post by simon.h
Where in Bristol are you from? Those areas are both nice, particularly Beeston and of course close to the campus. What are you going to study?

Patchway :tongue: you? I'm going to study Theology, you?
Reply 15
Patchway :tongue: you? I'm going to study Theology, you?

I lived in Warmley, Yate and Frampton Cotterell. Going to be studying Adult Nursing.
Original post by simon.h
I lived in Warmley, Yate and Frampton Cotterell. Going to be studying Adult Nursing.

Oh cool. I think I saw you on the Nottingham Firmers Facebook Page, I'm the only one on there studing theology :frown: But I've got my accommodation sorted now! I'm staying in Beeston :biggrin:
Reply 17
I'm starting a masters in history and shall be living at home.
Reply 18
Hopefully moving to Beeston to live with my non-student boyfriend :smile: but have to wait till August 16th for results before I can find a place to live :/ bit worried about missing out on stuff on campus coz I'm fairly anxious and hearing impaired so find it difficult to put myself into social situations. But fingers crossed that it'll all work out :biggrin: glad there's quite a few others not living in halls :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by hjradley1
Hopefully moving to Beeston to live with my non-student boyfriend :smile: but have to wait till August 16th for results before I can find a place to live :/ bit worried about missing out on stuff on campus coz I'm fairly anxious and hearing impaired so find it difficult to put myself into social situations. But fingers crossed that it'll all work out :biggrin: glad there's quite a few others not living in halls :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What are you hoping to study? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LG-P970

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending