The Student Room Group

Forced to claim "Theft" by School.

Please keep Anon.

I'm a first year Sixthform student (year 12).

Basically: I walked into a room to use the computer - but unfortunately, my login wasn't working. I took a jacket from a room, put it in my bag, walked around the school for a bit, (10-15minutes), tried to get back into the room to put the Jacket back, but the room door was locked. So I placed it on a chair in another room.

I was questioned about this, because the school's security camera saw me walk inside the room - but the way I was being questioned put me under pressure, so I lied saying I did not touch the jacket ("Which computer did you use, do you remember which chair the jacket was on, we'll check which computer you used" . The jacket was found, and it was perfectly fine etc.

But now, they questioned be again - in an interrogation sort of style.
They asked me questions such as:
"Why did you lie when you were first questioned" - Response: I was under pressure, and the way you spoke to me made me feel as if I committed some sort of serious crime - so I lied.
"Do you dislike any of the teachers within the school" - Response: No, I do not dislike any teacher, or student".
This went on and on etc.

Then came the question:
"Why did you take the jacket?" I said, I did not know. It was an act with no intention.
"I'll give you 3 options:
1. You're mentally unstable - and you need counseling.
2. You dislike a staff member of the school, or the opposite.
3. You are a thief
"
My response: I will not admit to any of those, since my honest reason is that - I don't know why I did it.

I'm being truthfully honest, I did not know why I took the Jacket and walked around, before putting it back. - But they won't believe me, and they were cornering me to confess that I am "thief". No items went missing, and I did not try to make my way to an exit at any point. The meetings were completely biased from the start, and it felt utterly horrible.

I was then given a sheet of paper to write a written statement.

"I was told to write a written statement:

Spoiler

"
Any advice on what to do? Another meeting has been arranged for the 15th of June.

One thing which I remembered clearly, was the head of year saying " I do not believe you, and I will get the truth out of you, even if it means being stuck with you in a room for hours on end".

But I did say the truth - and they wouldn't believe me.

Any of your views are welcome as well, - but I'm here for advice..

- S.

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like you learned a handy lesson there.
Reply 2
You walked into a room and randomly took a jacket for no reason at all? :s-smilie:
So let them do whatever it is they are saying they will do, it sounds rediculous. What you did sounds pretty odd, but I can't see much coming of the fact that you walked around with someones jaket for a bit.
Reply 4
Original post by LeaX
You walked into a room and randomly took a jacket for no reason at all? :s-smilie:

Yeah - I know, it sounds ludicrous. I took a jacket, put it in my bag, walked around for about 10 minutes, before trying to get back into the room - it was then locked, so I placed it on a chair in another room.

- I honestly do not know why I did it..
Reply 5
Any other views? or advice?

:frown:
I dunno, seems stupid you took the jacket (stole it then thought better of it?) but I'm laughing at all the interrogation meeting bull****, haha.

Written statements, meetings, grillings, accusations of mental instability?

I think your school is weirder than you.

Just say you didn't think and picked up automatically as you would your own jacket because you were distracted thinking about something else, until you remembered.

All they can do you for is that something was moved by accident, boo-****ing-hoo.

As for the intimidation nonsense? it's a ****ing school, they can't do **** to you, no crime was committed, if they even tried to involve the police they'd probably laugh and leave.
(edited 11 years ago)
all the interrorgation stuff as if you were planning to blow up the science block is a bit over the top. I mean, its not all that serious.

but it is really wierd that you take the jacket and have no idea why.
Did you get a sudden urge to take the jacket? steal it and think wtf did I just do? did you briefly think it was yours btu too hot to wear it so put it in your bag?
you really need to find out why you took the jacket - for your sake, not theirs. I'm not too sure its healthy to do things without knowing why. if that was me, i'd be concerned about that.
maybe you weren't well on that day or were stressed about something? do you remember doing it? if not, maybe your mind just went blank?
Reply 8
Original post by brunettegirl92
all the interrorgation stuff as if you were planning to blow up the science block is a bit over the top. I mean, its not all that serious.

but it is really wierd that you take the jacket and have no idea why.
Did you get a sudden urge to take the jacket? steal it and think wtf did I just do? did you briefly think it was yours btu too hot to wear it so put it in your bag?
you really need to find out why you took the jacket - for your sake, not theirs. I'm not too sure its healthy to do things without knowing why. if that was me, i'd be concerned about that.
maybe you weren't well on that day or were stressed about something? do you remember doing it? if not, maybe your mind just went blank?

I honestly don't know :frown:
Why the hell would you put a jacket randomly in your bag if you had no intention of taking it, I am not surprised your school think you are mentally unstable. The fact you lied about taking it from the room initially would make me think you intended to steal it and then lost your nerve as you tried to cover it up first, or maybe you just fancied taking it for a walk I guess? as sane people do.

Anyway it is only a bloody jacket, it isn't like it was a laptop or a mobile phone so I wouldn't worry too much about it tbh.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous

Bring it up to your parents. See legal advice/someone to take with you on your follow up meeting. Explain the situation TRUTHFULLY, ensuring that you're leaving NOTHING out.
Maybe just say you took the jacket by accident thinking it was yours?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I would have gone for option 1...
The weirdest part you didnt even say that you were wearing a jacket when you entered you room so why you would pick one up when leaving the room is beyond me.
Lets say you did take it unwillingly / accidentally (odd as it sounds)

And you decided to pick option 3. WHY???

The one that shows you have committed a crime. Option 1 or 2 would be miles better. Now you have not only stolen a jacket but have admitted to the crime despite being given other options.

Made me LOL.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous

I think you should just tell them you weren't really thinking at the time, were distracted, daydreaming, what ever - and that's why you took it.

If not that then simply say you took it because you someone had left it there, but then you realised they would probably come back for it if they remembered where they'd left it.

All in all I reckon you know why you did it but just won't say... but if you seriously don't know, then you need to think more before you do things...

If it helps get them off your back at mental instability. Then simply tell them what they want to hear and say you liked it and took it but then felt guilty and put it back.

Get your parents involved, your school sounds like it's run by psychotic people who are attempting to make this into a huge criminal offence or some matter of mental instability. The head must have a boring life
Reply 18
or say you thought someone had forgotten the jacket and you took it to hand it in, but then you didnt really know who to go to so you decided to put it back hoping the owner would remember and come back for it...

- didnt see patrick had suggested something similar above. If you say that they cant do anything to prove it was theft.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Does anyone here think I should consult with my local GP or seek phychiatric help? Or am I ok?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending