The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexsasg
I'm not friends with them, I just vaguely know them since they were in the year above me at school.

I just checked their facebook profile (I'm such a stalker, hah..) and they're definitely doing economics with french (and got in with A*AB). So yup, for real. :smile:

Haha. Aw I would have loved to ask how their situation was dealt with and what happened on results day. But good news anyways :smile:
Reply 61
OCR MEI

Offer for Natural Sciences at Cambridge, need A* in AQA maths, A*A in any order in OCR Physics A & Chemistry A, and 90% UMS in AS further maths with OCR MEI
I prepared so thoroughly, and I've got exams to go, but my first exam went so so terribly. Numerical Methods with OCR MEI, aced every past paper with a lot of time to spare, then got into the exam, thought it was a bit of a nasty paper and then suddenly realised how much pressure I was under, panicked, and everything just went so wrong :frown: ended up making big mistakes on things I should've got right as well as the questions that I could forgive myself for losing marks on.
I did Decision 1 in January and got 95/100 UMS, when the requirement for 90% UMS was 67/72 (Yes, that's what OCR MEI are like) I did Further Pure 1 two days after Numerical Methods, which I think went perfectly, and I've got full marks in the Numerical Methods coursework, which is 20% of the Numerical Methods unit. However, I fear I'll have dropped around 18 marks out of 72 on the Num. Meth. paper, which would lead to less than 75% of the UMS overall for the Num Meth unit, even after being buffered by the coursework. So, in short, I can't help but worry I've missed the offer for the course of my dreams because of an exam board with ridiculous raw/UMS conversions, a nasty paper, an hour and a half of sheer panic, and a performance which was not at all representative of how much work I'd put in or what I was capable of. :frown: Sad times :frown:
Reply 62
I was accepted for my course at Hertfordshire university (Games Art) on the day of my interview (with portfolio etc) and they sent me an offer of "Achieving 280 UCAS Tariff points". I have double checked with both my Sixth Form head and their admissions office that there isnt a limit of A-Levels and all 5 of my qualifications count. Now as I know these are my grades so far with 3 retakes to go

Economics - E (without counting my last exam)
Business - C
Art - atleast a D
General studies - D
Extended project - C (40 points)

So so far I calculate I have enough points so happy days. However I am still constantly anxious and worried about getting in? Any help will be appreciated!

P.s every results day I have had big upsets with unexpected results, maybe this is a contributor?

Thanks!
Reply 63
Original post by Gould1610
OCR MEI

Offer for Natural Sciences at Cambridge, need A* in AQA maths, A*A in any order in OCR Physics A & Chemistry A, and 90% UMS in AS further maths with OCR MEI
I prepared so thoroughly, and I've got exams to go, but my first exam went so so terribly. Numerical Methods with OCR MEI, aced every past paper with a lot of time to spare, then got into the exam, thought it was a bit of a nasty paper and then suddenly realised how much pressure I was under, panicked, and everything just went so wrong :frown: ended up making big mistakes on things I should've got right as well as the questions that I could forgive myself for losing marks on.
I did Decision 1 in January and got 95/100 UMS, when the requirement for 90% UMS was 67/72 (Yes, that's what OCR MEI are like) I did Further Pure 1 two days after Numerical Methods, which I think went perfectly, and I've got full marks in the Numerical Methods coursework, which is 20% of the Numerical Methods unit. However, I fear I'll have dropped around 18 marks out of 72 on the Num. Meth. paper, which would lead to less than 75% of the UMS overall for the Num Meth unit, even after being buffered by the coursework. So, in short, I can't help but worry I've missed the offer for the course of my dreams because of an exam board with ridiculous raw/UMS conversions, a nasty paper, an hour and a half of sheer panic, and a performance which was not at all representative of how much work I'd put in or what I was capable of. :frown: Sad times :frown:

Don't know what to say, have an offer for Cam too and am stressing about getting the grades (albeit my offer isn't as specific as yours): I really really hope you get in!!!

Okay i'm leaving to actually do some work, really isn't the time for procrastination :s
Yep, right here.
UCL AAB
Got a U in recent physics test and im going to have to a tough time getting the B I need. Its just awful. Last year went so well and this year...not so much :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by Conpatshe
I was accepted for my course at Hertfordshire university (Games Art) on the day of my interview (with portfolio etc) and they sent me an offer of "Achieving 280 UCAS Tariff points". I have double checked with both my Sixth Form head and their admissions office that there isnt a limit of A-Levels and all 5 of my qualifications count. Now as I know these are my grades so far with 3 retakes to go

Economics - E (without counting my last exam)
Business - C
Art - atleast a D
General studies - D
Extended project - C (40 points)

So so far I calculate I have enough points so happy days. However I am still constantly anxious and worried about getting in? Any help will be appreciated!

P.s every results day I have had big upsets with unexpected results, maybe this is a contributor?

Thanks!
Very likely. There's nothing I can add to what you've already worked out - so I would just try to stop obsessing about it all and concentrate on the exams you have still to take :smile:
I'm at the point where I'm 50/50 whether I'll make my firm offer, but I don't even care with the unconditional insurance and part of me would rather be at Edinburgh anyway :tongue:
Reply 67
Got offer from Imperial for EEE need A*AA.
In AS I was critically ill and only got BBCD and I was still lucky to get an offer.
This year I've been self teaching everything, Maths physics and Further Maths (AS & A2). I've got 13 exams this summer of which 6 are left, however last week when I had Core 3 and FP2 I completely flopped the FP2 exam and Core 3 was alright. I will ill on that day had really bad hay fever and due to this I wasn't able to complete the FP2 exam, other than these 2 I'm expecting nearly 100% in the 4 exams I've done.

Is there anything that can be done because I'm really scared about missing my offer. Is is any possibility negotiating with Imperial regarding the grade I receive.
I'm really stressed at the moment :frown:.
Reply 68
Original post by singh224
Got offer from Imperial for EEE need A*AA.
In AS I was critically ill and only got BBCD and I was still lucky to get an offer.
This year I've been self teaching everything, Maths physics and Further Maths (AS & A2). I've got 13 exams this summer of which 6 are left, however last week when I had Core 3 and FP2 I completely flopped the FP2 exam and Core 3 was alright. I will ill on that day had really bad hay fever and due to this I wasn't able to complete the FP2 exam, other than these 2 I'm expecting nearly 100% in the 4 exams I've done.

Is there anything that can be done because I'm really scared about missing my offer. Is is any possibility negotiating with Imperial regarding the grade I receive.
I'm really stressed at the moment :frown:.

Doing badly on only 1 paper will certainly, to some extent, drag you down from getting an A, but it is not the end of the world. You can do pretty well in other papers, which you find easier and more interesting to learn, and can still achieve an A overall. I know a lot of ppl screwed up their FP2 but still manage to get an A*/A in Further Maths/Maths. So as long as you keep your head straight and work 120% hard on the following papers, I dont see how you can miss your offer :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by QuangHa
Doing badly on only 1 paper will certainly, to some extent, drag you down from getting an A, but it is not the end of the world. You can do pretty well in other papers, which you find easier and more interesting to learn, and can still achieve an A overall. I know a lot of ppl screwed up their FP2 but still manage to get an A*/A in Further Maths/Maths. So as long as you keep your head straight and work 120% hard on the following papers, I dont see how you can miss your offer :smile:

Thanks.. ye at the moment I'm trying to get nearly 100% in my next exams as I feel FP3 and core 4 is easier than fp2 and c3 :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by singh224
Thanks.. ye at the moment I'm trying to get nearly 100% in my next exams as I feel FP3 and core 4 is easier than fp2 and c3 :smile:

Again, I find FP3 and C4 easier than C3 and FP2 (not really sure why I feel this way ^^) so I hope the same thing applies to you. Best of lucks to your incoming exams, and fingercross for those you have sat :wink:
Reply 71
A*AAB offer with at least an A in maths for Economics at Warwick. :colondollar:

Doing CIE so I'm left with Economics papers 3 and 4 which ironically are the 2 papers I find the toughest :eek:
A*AA offer for Law at Cambridge. Can get 4 As with relative ease, but need the A* from somewhere. Unfortunately it's looking like it's gonna have to be Chemistry or Geography, both of which I'm resitting the Jan paper in (geography because I got a B despite A* in the mock, chemistry because the way the system works, without it I'd need 17% UMS for an A but 100% for an A*). Either that or I get 98/100 UMS in economics, which is possible but unlikely.

Ironically, Law, my degree subject, is the only one I can't get an A* in, but I'm pretty much nailed on for an A anyway, so I'm not toooooo concerned there.
Reply 73
Original post by dsinghdahiya257
Have a AAA offer for economics at Uni of Nottingham, stupid ICT exam probably (maybe not) leaves me with a B in ICT overall.

I contacted them, saying I could get A* (Maths), A* (Economics), B; they said pretty much, wait till August. Depending on the performance of other offer holders, there may or may not be places left and its doubtful there will be, as Eco is so competitive at Notts.

This uncertainty is ****ing with my head, I have no clear path ahead. And my insurance is BBB :/ (chose it only because fees are lower in N.I for me), but I really don't want to end up there.

All I can now think about is what I will be doing next year e.g on a gap year, resitting my modules, and sitting home pretty much all year, while friends are all at uni.

FML. What to do eh? and I still have my C3 and C4 maths exams left...

Economics is probably a wee bit different to physics, but I put Nottingham as my insurance, and they want AAA, but also made a secondary offer of A*AB, with the A* and A in maths and physics, because they said they pretty much didn't care about my third subject. This may well apply to economics, but it might not too! Just thought I'd tell you what I've been told. :smile:
Reply 74
I need AAB for UCL, I (just about) got that at AS so I thought it would be a real stress-free offer. And now I'm utterly bricking it.
Original post by Oromis263
Economics is probably a wee bit different to physics, but I put Nottingham as my insurance, and they want AAA, but also made a secondary offer of A*AB, with the A* and A in maths and physics, because they said they pretty much didn't care about my third subject. This may well apply to economics, but it might not too! Just thought I'd tell you what I've been told. :smile:
Awesome. I think the Economics admissions will be doing this, but only if there are places left for those who just missed their offers.
Original post by Gould1610
OCR MEI

For a start, do you maybe think that Cambridge gave you the MEI offer just because it was harder?
FYI, the only reason MEI UMS conversions are so high is that so many people score well on the exams. If the 90% mark was 67/72, that'll mean that many, many people did better than 67/72. Pick a hard module or get a hard paper - the UMS would be no where near as bad. Thankfully the mark schemes are quite nice - and if you only made small mistakes on the NM paper, you'll have only been losing about 2 marks a mistake. The marking is quite nice in that respect. I assume that you were somewhat limited to D1 and NM by the modules you'd already done for your A level maths - it's too bad, since D1 is generally seen as being a joke paper.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
STEP :afraid:

Just keep at it, you're doing great so far! :woo:
Reply 78
History- fine
Politics - fine
Classics - Royally, abolsutley and completely ****ed...
Can I be cheeky and join even though I'm not worried I'll miss my offer? My offer is ridiculously low- 260 UCAS points, which I am fairly confident I'll meet.

The issue is, I'm predicted AAA. I got AAA in my AS. I set ridiculously high standards for myself. Ergo, if I get anything less than AAA this summer, I will be devastated. I feel ungrateful for it and I realise so many people work so hard and would be over the moon with AAB but no matter how much I try to reason with myself, I know I'll still feel like a massive failure if I don't get those three A's. It's not even like I deserve AAA, or that I'm necessarily smart enough to achieve it. Chances are, I could get Bs and that petrifies me. I don't know what to do.

Quick Reply