The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
for GENDER:

IF a split Biosocial and Gender Dysphoria question came up how would it roughly be phrased? and what marks would each question be allocated?
e.g outline etc..
e.g Evaluate etc..

thanks in advance to anyone who answers this :smile:
x
Original post by Tpos
What are people predicting for gender, everything seems to have come up :s-smilie:

Evolutionary explanations hasn't come up yet so maybe that?
Reply 982
Original post by PieEatingHorses
I totally agree, I think maintenance is my best bet. But if not that I do think it will be parental investment or culture.

The AQA spec says: 'Removal of parent-offspring conflict and focusing on sex differences in parental investment'

So surely it will be between Culture + maintenance? or is the whole concept of Parental investment need to be covered?
Original post by PieEatingHorses
I totally agree, I think maintenance is my best bet. But if not that I do think it will be parental investment or culture.

I know AQA are not stupid, they clearly know that there are two questions that they haven't asked yet and some people would just stick to revising them they might surprise us.. I'm not sure about maintenance because it is similar to breakdown that recently came up, but yeah maintenance would be a nice 24 marker ! (:
Reply 984
is aggression likely to be on genetics?
Reply 985
Original post by SecretCircus
Evolutionary explanations hasn't come up yet so maybe that?

Aah you're right it hasn't. Hmm I wouldn't mind that coming up, it'd be the parental investment theory mainly? And then evaluating it?
Does anyone have any notes on the "Explanations for sleep disorders, including insomnia, sleep walking and narcolepsy"?

If not, quick question; would the AO1 of such a question just be identifying the possible explanations (e.g. psychological/biochemical) and then evaluating these explanations as AO2?

The reason I ask is that the textbooks seem to have description of the actual disorders. Looking at the spec, I wouldn't have thought we'd need to actually learn in full detail primary and secondary insomnia. Do correct me if wrong.

Many thanks!
Original post by VanessaXD
I know AQA are not stupid, they clearly know that there are two questions that they haven't asked yet and some people would just stick to revising them they might surprise us.. I'm not sure about maintenance because it is similar to breakdown that recently came up, but yeah maintenance would be a nice 24 marker ! (:

You do have to remember though :P There are 2 questions left which they will ask at some point :biggrin:! So why not this year, I'd most like maintenance too!
Reply 988
Original post by Hasmyradiobroken?
Does anyone have any notes on the "Explanations for sleep disorders, including insomnia, sleep walking and narcolepsy"?

If not, quick question; would the AO1 of such a question just be identifying the possible explanations (e.g. psychological/biochemical) and then evaluating these explanations as AO2?

The reason I ask is that the textbooks seem to have description of the actual disorders. Looking at the spec, I wouldn't have thought we'd need to actually learn in full detail primary and secondary insomnia. Do correct me if wrong.

Many thanks!

I am having the exact same problem. What's with the textbooks proper going into detail about what these sleep disorders are, instead of elaborating on the explanations -__-
Original post by Tpos
Aah you're right it hasn't. Hmm I wouldn't mind that coming up, it'd be the parental investment theory mainly? And then evaluating it?

I hate the evolutionary approach (I just find it a bit...wishy washy if that makes sense) and we barely covered it for gender so I don't want it to come up :tongue:. I think it's likely to though, and also, I've just looked through this thread and people are saying gender schema theory and dysphoria could come up too :smile:.

If the question is on the evolutionary approach to gender role then yeah it would mainly be the parental investment theory.
Original post by Alicexoxo

Assuming that AQA are going to go on what should come up (and not be unpredictable like they often can be), yes. Either that or social psychological explanations I reckon.
Original post by Mmrawrr
I am having the exact same problem. What's with the textbooks proper going into detail about what these sleep disorders are, instead of elaborating on the explanations -__-

At least it's not just me, I thought I was being really stupid.

I'm reading that point on the spec for the 100th time - maybe the explanations just means explain the disorder, then evaluate it.

Or do we need to consider the actual explanations?!

Confusion.
Could someone provide me with a 4 mark answer for outlining one example of the circadian rhythm.
Sleep wake cycle please.
Reply 993
Does anyone know if the same question can come up that was in the June 2011 exam - for 24 marks or even a smaller question?:confused:
Don't know if i should bother fully revising for a topic that has come up last year...

And also can they specify 'seretonin' or 'brain structure' for aggression
And can they specify 'genetic' 'evolutionary' or 'neural' explanation for eating disorders??
im doing aggression, relationships and eating
For unit 3 psychology 11th june
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Grace*
Does anyone know if the same question can come up that was in the June 2011 exam - for 24 marks or even a smaller question?:confused:
Don't know if i should bother fully revising for a topic that has come up last year...

Yes it can come up. But it is very unlikely it would come up again, if it was a full 24marker at least.
Reply 995
Original post by Grace*

And also can they specify 'seretonin' or 'brain structure' for aggression
And can they specify 'genetic' 'evolutionary' or 'neural' explanation for eating disorders??

Yes in Jan 2012 for PSYA4 a 24 marker came up which had come up 2 years ago. Revise everything but perhaps some more in detail.
Reply 996
Original post by Alicexoxo

Well genetics has only come up once, for 4 marks in June 2010, so possibly! The only thing that has not come up for aggression is group display, doesn't mean we get that though!
Reply 997
Original post by hhh123
Yes in Jan 2012 for PSYA4 a 24 marker came up which had come up 2 years ago. Revise everything but perhaps some more in detail.

Ah really? what was jan 2012 questions ?
oh i was in the exam actually oops
Reply 998
Original post by Grace*
Well genetics has only come up once, for 4 marks in June 2010, so possibly! The only thing that has not come up for aggression is group display, doesn't mean we get that though!

This came up in Jan 2012.

Original post by Grace*
Ah really? what was jan 2012 questions ?
oh i was in the exam actually oops

Yes, the schizophrenia q.
Reply 999
Can anyone provide info about the Issues and Debates? I am okay with applying my knowledge of the approaches but i always get stuck with the IDs - like if anyone could provide a general synopsis or something or what issues and debates can be used for this unit would be great, i dont want to miss out on A02s...

Quick Reply