The Student Room Group

A level home study

I was wondering if I do a levels home study at home would I still be able to get into uni?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E10i
Yes you still can.
Reply 2
How?

Original post by superglow12
How?

You can apply for UCAS independantly. You'd have to find a private centre to take exams at and someone to write your reference.
Reply 4
How?

You study the necessary course material at home and take the exam at a private centre.
And apply to UCAS by yourself.
Reply 5
Also do you think home study would be better even though it is costly?

Reply 6

Hey I'm currently studying independently, and by that I mean at home :wink:.

As someone has said above, you can apply as an independent student and get a former teacher to complete your reference and predicted grades.

Hmm in terms of being costly I guess that depends on what support you require and private examination costs.

I'm teaching myself so I don't worry about tuition costs, I take my exams at my old college which charge £20 per exam, and they also have a one off £70 admin fee (sucks I know).

I also had to complete history coursework as part of my A2 in history. My old teachers were unwilling to support me or to mark my cw so I had to go private, they quoted me a price of £300+. So beware of this, thankfully my old vice principal managed to convince my teachers to mark my coursework, so £20 only. But they refused to support me, I can understand that cos I'm no longer a student at the college, but one would think a teacher would try to support someone who wants a bit of help. (sorry about the rant).

If you have any questions, do ask.
Reply 7

No. I would say go to college/sixth form if you can. Nothing replaces the school environment. It's priceless.

Why do you want to study at home?
Reply 8
Original post by AK0001
Hey I'm currently studying independently, and by that I mean at home :wink:.

As someone has said above, you can apply as an independent student and get a former teacher to complete your reference and predicted grades.

Hmm in terms of being costly I guess that depends on what support you require and private examination costs.

I'm teaching myself so I don't worry about tuition costs, I take my exams at my old college which charge £20 per exam, and they also have a one off £70 admin fee (sucks I know).

I also had to complete history coursework as part of my A2 in history. My old teachers were unwilling to support me or to mark my cw so I had to go private, they quoted me a price of £300+. So beware of this, thankfully my old vice principal managed to convince my teachers to mark my coursework, so £20 only. But they refused to support me, I can understand that cos I'm no longer a student at the college, but one would think a teacher would try to support someone who wants a bit of help. (sorry about the rant).

If you have any questions, do ask.

You're not a student at their school/class so they don't have any obligation to help you.
I'm doing further maths AS right now. D1, FP1 and either D2 or S2.
Reply 10
I think it is harder to do as well at home. Only because the teachers in sixth forms coach you to pass the exams (rather than teaching you the material well) so they get higher pass rates and more pupils and money etc. Also if you are stuck with a problem no one can explain it. At a level its not just about knowing everything but all the little tips and tricks in applying it :smile: A bit unfair really! But you can always get a lot of these from learning mark schemes... Good luck if you do go for it! :smile:
Reply 11
I wanted to do a level study since I dont learn much from my teachers, they just read from the book. And I feel like im just wasting my time, and I learn way more at home than at school :/
And I also think my AS results wont be as good, so theres a lot of embarassment for me to return to 6form since i've just turned 18

Reply 12
If you do study at home make sure you look carefully at examination boards and decide early on which specification you are going to follow. Also check with the exam centre to make sure they are registered with that board. You can get a lot of information freely on the exam board websites such as specifications, past papers and detailed mark schemes, however be aware that some boards have now locked access to certain areas and resources and you need a password (which teachers would have for example). If you can get hold of a textbook that compliments your particular specification that should help, however be aware that these can be expensive and some also now require access to online material (again a costly subscription that schools would normally purchase).
Reply 13
Original post by . .
You're not a student at their school/class so they don't have any obligation to help you.

I did mention that in my post, you'll find it if you look hard enough :wink:.
Reply 14
I'm currently taking my exams from home studying. I've already been to university and I have a job which I don't want to give up but in order to progress and get onto a post-grad course I need a particular qualification.

My advice is to look carefully into the course provider. I'm with Oxford Open Learning and they are always calling me wanting to offer help. I submit work, they mark it and I must earn at least 40% before moving on. You work out your deadlines together, they're very helpful and we discuss where I have gone wrong and how to get it right, I can't fault them in that.

There is a payment plan which helped me pay in instalments. The thing I like is that it is at my pace. I don't have to commit myself to classes and I can set aside the time to do the work which suits me. I did get lucky with a local college allowing me to sit the exams there.
Reply 15
How much were the payment plans? And what subjects are you doing, do you have any practicals to do..where do you do that?

Reply 16
I was wondering if I do a levels home study at home would I still be able to get into uni?

Yes, of course.

I did 4 A Levels via home study.

You'll still sit the exams with an invigilator in the room like school/college students do. And depending on where you sit your exams, it is very likely that you'll be sitting them with other A Level students. The only difference will be the way in which you are taught; in your case, it will be mostly self taught (plus, the help of online tutors.)

So go for it! Its such a great feeling to pass several exams knowing that you've practically taught yourself! Plus, the art of self study definitely comes in handy in uni.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest