The Student Room Group

Resitting A levels

Hey guys,

I've just finished my degree, but my A levels suck bad. Considering I'm predicted a 1st in biomedicine I know I will defo improve my shocking grade if not get an A or A*.

My question is should I retake my old biology A level (which I did poor in all round) or do a human biology A level as it'll be the optimum with my degree know ledge where as the former has plants, ecosystems that i long forgotten.

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Just apply to universities that don't focus on Alevels.
Reply 2
Original post by Connor S
Hey guys,

I've just finished my degree, but my A levels suck bad. Considering I'm predicted a 1st in biomedicine I know I will defo improve my shocking grade if not get an A or A*.

My question is should I retake my old biology A level (which I did poor in all round) or do a human biology A level as it'll be the optimum with my degree know ledge where as the former has plants, ecosystems that i long forgotten.

Thanks

You may want to read the Human Biology specification. We cover most of the plants and ecology stuff in A2. It's practically biology, give or take a few small sections.
Reply 3
The biology specification would probably be better. Not only are centres that offer human biology few and far between, biology is a more respected A level. I don't know why, but I imagine it's because it shows range and scope.
Reply 4
Original post by navarre
The biology specification would probably be better. Not only are centres that offer human biology few and far between, biology is a more respected A level. I don't know why, but I imagine it's because it shows range and scope.
You clearly have not.taken Human Biology. They're practically identical, and are considered on the same level.

Agreed on the number of centres taking the exan though. Then again, you'll have to be doing the exam as an external - so cost will probably be the same
Reply 5
Original post by bigbottle
Just apply to universities that don't focus on Alevels.

To be honest it's just more to actually have grades that show my ability; not particularly for medicine. Just doesnt seem like a fair portrait of who I am. didn't know where to post thread. :smile:
Reply 6
Hey guys,

Thanks

To be honest it's just more to actually have grades that show my ability; not particularly for medicine. Just doesnt seem like a fair portrait of who I am. didn't know where to post thread. :smile:

Bit confused here, do you want to apply for Medicine? If so, look at which ones don't pay attention to GCSES/A levels and only look at your degree. If you insist on resitting a levels (or if you dont want to apply for Medicine) then by all means go back and do your a levels again. I'd suggest sticking to Biology rather than Human Biology as a lot of universities classify the latter as "soft", even for medicine they would rather a broader knowledge at a level. Once/If you hold an offer then I think reading over a human biology a level revision guide would be a good idea (what i'm doing now) just for your own contentment rather than to take exams. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by tpxvs
Bit confused here, do you want to apply for Medicine? If so, look at which ones don't pay attention to GCSES/A levels and only look at your degree. If you insist on resitting a levels (or if you dont want to apply for Medicine) then by all means go back and do your a levels again. I'd suggest sticking to Biology rather than Human Biology as a lot of universities classify the latter as "soft", even for medicine they would rather a broader knowledge at a level. Once/If you hold an offer then I think reading over a human biology a level revision guide would be a good idea (what i'm doing now) just for your own contentment rather than to take exams. Good luck. :smile:

Out of Interest, which university considers Human Biology soft? :rolleyes:
Reply 8
don't worry about A levels if you have a degree. it doesn't form part of the entry requirements
(only for some)

Quick Reply