The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Unit 3 12th June 2012 (Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by politics_student
French Revolution. I need an A.

I hope this does not derail the thread, but does anyone know how I can work out the number of UMS marks I need for an A? Am I correct in thinking that Unit 3 carries the most weighting?

So far: 97 UMS in Unit 1
70 UMS in Unit 2 (though it may go up as I have resat it)
86 UMS in Unit 4 (coursework).
Coursework is out of 80... so this is impossible. Do you mean 86%? Do you know your raw mark because 86% doesn't lead to an integer

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out. :redface:

For all subjects do 80% * (Maximum UMS which is 400) - all your UMS

so 320 - (97+70+[coursework mark]) = UMS you need for an A.

And yes. Unit 3 counts for (120/400) = 30% of the overall A level.
Original post by Mcfly101202
Hi :smile:
i'm doing the same unit as you and have no idea how to do a 30 mark question and the highest I seem to be able to achieve is a C and that's not what i'm after. How's your revision going? and what kind of technique do you use for the 30 marker?

Also I know this is pushing it a little but do you reckon you could email me some of your past essays? so I could possibly have a look? In return I could email you my compiled notes document - which has every possible branch of the topic laid out in a tabe form with all the notes I have (including historians) bullet pointed underneath.
Is that okay?

Erm, well I just approach the 30 mark questions the same as I have done for essays throughout my school career, I think... I start with an introduction which states the overall jist of my argument, and state a couple of things which may be included in my argument, not in detail, but to show that I know what I'm talking about.

Then, generally, I just use an idea per paragraph, with them all linked. It's a good idea to talk about them chronologically, I think, and you have to remember to include quite a lot of detail. Also, make sure that what you're talking about fits in with the dates of the question - you don't want to waste time on a really good paragraph if it's outside the dates given in the question.

I like to link my paragraphs with just a sentence, maybe at the end of the first one. It's also important to refer back to the exact words of the question frequently, so that it's clear to the examiner that you're talking about the question.

For the conclusion, I believe you're supposed to link it directly to the introduction - quite often mine look very similar tbh - and make sure that you really have answered the question fully. Maybe try to finish on a 'flourish' so that your lasting impression is one of originality and interest to the examiner??

I'm sorry, I'm not sure whether this will really be much help, or if it's all really obvious, or what, but I'm afraid it's all I've got to offer really :redface:

As for revision, I'm getting there...I was late starting and it's been a bit all over the place, but I feel like the way I'm going through it (just making notes on everything) is really helping it stick in my head. Then after I've done that, I tell my mum allllll about it. She really loves that :L

To be honest, that's the only thing I've done - making notes. We haven't really been given a set list of topics that the 30 mark essays could be on, but I suppose you could try making essay plans with key ideas you'd talk about as paragraphs and then bullet point details?? Sorry I can't be of much more help :s-smilie:

I really would send you any essays I had if I had any, but I'm afraid that all of mine have been handwritten, so I don't have them on my computer :s-smilie: If you had any more questions or wanted to discuss anything, I'd be more than happy to, though :smile: Talking things over with other people is always good revision :smile:

Good luck! And I wouldn't worry too much - last year, I hadn't gotten above a mid-B in any of my essays, but got a high A in the (non-source part of) the exam! :biggrin:
I really need help on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan 1979, I just don't get what happened. help please!
Original post by tooconfusedforyou
hahah thank you! worked hard on that coursework :tongue:
and i don't know.. 48/50 is my raw mark. how do you know what ums it is? :s-smilie:

76 UMS judging my last years grade boundaries.

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1106%20GCE%20Units%20Grade%20Boundaries%20(Home%20Int).pdf
Original post by Rachel U
Pleasepleaseplease can anyone offer advice on how to structure the sources question pleeeeeeease

Introduction: You should and I think MUST mention the sources, identify which agree with the question/controversy and which contradict the factor mentioned in the question. Also indicate other factors hinted at in the sources which you will later go on to talk about and historiography if appropriate.

Main Body: I normally start with the factor given so always LEAD WITH THE SOURCE. Source 5 infers that bla bla bla was important in causing bla bla bla. Try and find bits in other sources which also agree and then re-affirm with own knowledge. Do this for a bit, relate back to question in an intermediate conclusion.

HOWEVER SIDE:

Pick out bits in the sources which fit the other set controversy factors and do the same. Then at the end of each paragraph compare it to the relative importance of the stated factor in the question. Was it the factor in the main body or the one you're talking about.

CONCLUSION. mention sources, what do they suggest is the most important and along with own knowledge which was it.

historiography if appropriate throughout really.

Original post by AK0001
I need help comparing sources, any ideas?

Look for where they seem to agree/disagree
Pick out bits where you can add your own knowledge?
Original post by lilGem
It's not really needed to be talked about- you could talk about it in reference to economic factors of the USSR

e.g. nomenklatura where the elite were living the "high life" so tp speak whilst there were deteriorating living standards. The cost of maintaining that could not carry on due to the significant arms race spending.
Also the abuse of human rights- USSR ignoring the agreement of Helsinki accords (1975), Charter 77 and dissidents speaking out agaisnt the corrupt leadership of EE countries.
"Empire by rape" ultimately the Soviet bloc was maintained by force- militarily imposed without the consent of people

evaluation of "Moral bankruptcy"
lack of legitimacy in EE undermined Soviet communism and brought about it's collapse
population were disillusioned with hollow promises and harsh realities of life under Marxist- Leninism
It focuses on a structural factor as to why they were unable to sustain CW policies
Widens the debate beyond political leaders by focusing on LT factors

In short if it's possible you can mention it in passing- you will only really need to talk about key personalities, economic factors and EE and bring in moral bankruptcy as a means of supporting an argument.

Hope that helps :smile:

Yes, that's very helpful! :smile:

Thank you... I was just worried that there was a whole new spectrum I've completely missed out :P.
Reply 66
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Introduction: You should and I think MUST mention the sources, identify which agree with the question/controversy and which contradict the factor mentioned in the question. Also indicate other factors hinted at in the sources which you will later go on to talk about and historiography if appropriate.

Main Body: I normally start with the factor given so always LEAD WITH THE SOURCE. Source 5 infers that bla bla bla was important in causing bla bla bla. Try and find bits in other sources which also agree and then re-affirm with own knowledge. Do this for a bit, relate back to question in an intermediate conclusion.

HOWEVER SIDE:

Pick out bits in the sources which fit the other set controversy factors and do the same. Then at the end of each paragraph compare it to the relative importance of the stated factor in the question. Was it the factor in the main body or the one you're talking about.

CONCLUSION. mention sources, what do they suggest is the most important and along with own knowledge which was it.

historiography if appropriate throughout really.

Look for where they seem to agree/disagree
Pick out bits where you can add your own knowledge?

This post helped me a lot, thanks.
Reply 67
Original post by partickler
Yes, that's very helpful! :smile:

Thank you... I was just worried that there was a whole new spectrum I've completely missed out :P.

It's okay- the head examiner teaches at my college and he said if you can use it then it's worth mentioning rather than giving itself it's own key factor :smile:
Reply 68
Anyone have any ideas what might be on it this year in the CW? :s-smilie:
Reply 69
Original post by AFineMess
Is anyone doing the USA option?
If so, what do you think the chances are for Prohibition or women coming up? Because I don't know if it's just me, but I find that stuff REALLY tough to write a lot on, because theres only so much detail you can go into with those kind of topics! :s-smilie:

Im doing that too ! My teacher thinks prohibition will come up and usually her predicitions are pretty good.
Reply 70
Original post by antero
I was talking with my teacher today and we both said that we have a feeling that something related to Prohibition might come up! I suppose that as long as I could link it to the wider American society you know the division between urban and rural over alcohol being a representation of wider social issues? I think I could do really well BUT women on the other hand :s-smilie: was not even considering a question like that tbh but I suppose that would be about not everyone sharing the boom or something similar so maybe not too bad!

In class we got given a question about womens progress 1917-54. Its not to bad. if you just discuss the world wars and their contribution to allowing women to work and changing attitudes. enfranchisement in 1920. The consumer revloution in which household luxury items were directed at women, hollywood, frances perkins, prohibition and flappers, and also the ccc and social security act in the 1930's didnt help women. hope this helps!
Reply 71
Another Cold War History student here :biggrin:
Reply 72
cold war here,

seeing as there are only two past papers for this exam, does anyone have some decent practices questions to do/plan and test my knowledge?

cheeers
Reply 73
Original post by WH1892
cold war here,

seeing as there are only two past papers for this exam, does anyone have some decent practices questions to do/plan and test my knowledge?

cheeers

I second this!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by WH1892
cold war here,

cheeers

Original post by Guygp
I second this!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Check out the specimen
Reply 75
Check out the specimen

nope, no unit 3 there
Original post by flying_ifan
Have you tried freeexampapers, extreme papers etc...?

Nope! I will do though. Thank you :smile:
Original post by WH1892
nope, no unit 3 there

It is. http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/sam-gce-history.pdf

Search for your unit though it includes every single unit
Reply 78
It is. http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/sam-gce-history.pdf

Search for your unit though it includes every single unit

ah brilliant, cheers mate
Reply 79
how are people revising for this exam? I've written out some notes and planning some essays are people doing much else?

Quick Reply

Latest