The Student Room Group

mRNA base sequences

Question help please!

Question:
Part of the DNA base sequence coding for a protein is shown below.
A T G G C C T A A G T G

State the corresponding base sequence of mRNA.

Answer:
U A C C G G A U U C A C

I though it would be AUGGCCUAAGUG, as I thought that the mRNA strand is built complementary to the template strand, which is complementary to the coding strand. So the coding strand should be the same as the mRNA strand.
Well I guess not... I think this is supposed to be an easy question too :frown: Have I got my terms wrong somewhere? Why is the answer U A C C G G A U U C A C? Thanks!
Reply 1
Template strand= the one that is used to make the mRNA
Coding strand=the one that is the same as the mRNA made.

The mRNA strand is made complementary to the template strand (by complementary base pairing), so, A T G G C C T A A G T G will form a mRNA strand with complementary bases,, A is complementary to T (which is U in mRNA), G is complementary to C.

So the mRNA will be U A C C T T A U U C A C.

I think i see where your getting confused, the question is indicating that that sequence is the template strand, when it says "coding for a protein" it isn't saying its the coding strand, stupidly worded question if you ask me. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Its very easy to find the mRNA bases to the one of DNA. Notice that Adenine (A) is always complementary to Thymine (T), Cytosine (C) is always complementary to Guanine (G) and Adenine is always complementary to Uracil (U), but Uracil is just occur in RNA! That is to say whensoever DNA has Adenine as base RNA has Uracil as complementary base and not vice versa! Here are two examples:

DNA codon (which always consist of three bases): A G C
RNA codon: U C G

DNA strand: T G G A T C T A C
RNA strand: A C C U A G A U G

And now here is another DNA strand which can be completed by you!

DNA strand: G A T T A C C A G
RNA strand: ?
Reply 3
I think you're confusing the fact mRNA consits of A, U, C, G - not T, U, C, G
A pairs with U
C pairs with G
and vice-versa
Adenine on a DNA stand is comlementary to Uracil on RNA strand.
Guanine is always complementary to cytosine.
Cytosine is always complementary to Guanine.
Thymine is always complementary to Adenine.

So on...

Get it now?
Original post by rocco94
A pairs with U
C pairs with G
and vice-versa

That's not quite right! Uracil is only a base of all kinds of RNA, but DNA has not an one. RNA may have Uracil as base, but DNA cannot!

A in DNA can be paired with U in RNA but, U in DNA cannot be paired with A in RNA, because U doesn't exist in DNA!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto
That's not quite right! Uracil is only a base of all kinds of RNA, but DNA has not an one. RNA may have Uracil as base, but DNA cannot!

A in DNA can be paired with U in RNA but, U in DNA cannot be paired with A in RNA, because U doesn't exist in DNA!

If you read my comment above you'll see that I said RNA has a uracil nucleotide, not DNA.
Reply 7
Original post by Mel_1234

I think i see where your getting confused, the question is indicating that that sequence is the template strand, when it says "coding for a protein" it isn't saying its the coding strand, stupidly worded question if you ask me. :frown:

Ok thanks! That's the bit I was getting confused over :smile:
Reply 8
Its very easy to find the mRNA bases to the one of DNA. Notice that Adenine (A) is always complementary to Thymine (T), Cytosine (C) is always complementary to Guanine (G) and Adenine is always complementary to Uracil (U), but Uracil is just occur in RNA! That is to say whensoever DNA has Adenine as base RNA has Uracil as complementary base and not vice versa! Here are two examples:

DNA codon (which always consist of three bases): A G C
RNA codon: U C G

DNA strand: T G G A T C T A C
RNA strand: A C C U A G A U G

And now here is another DNA strand which can be completed by you!

DNA strand: G A T T A C C A G
RNA strand: ?

Original post by rocco94
A pairs with U
C pairs with G
and vice-versa

Original post by slacker07906
Adenine on a DNA stand is comlementary to Uracil on RNA strand.
Guanine is always complementary to cytosine.
Cytosine is always complementary to Guanine.
Thymine is always complementary to Adenine.

So on...

Get it now?

Thanks guys, I know about the complementary coding stuff, I just got confused because I thought the DNA strand in the question was the actual coding DNA strand (as in part of a structural gene), not the template strand :smile:
Original post by rocco94
If you read my comment above you'll see that I said RNA has a uracil nucleotide, not DNA.

Ýeah, I see. I'm sorry. My bad. I will read a comment completely next time before I write an one.
Reply 10
Ýeah, I see. I'm sorry. My bad. I will read a comment completely next time before I write an one.

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending