The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F325 Equilibria, Energetics and Elements Wed 13 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LifeIsGood
I remember reading something due to the length of Cl bonds in the OCR textbook :s-smilie:

Most probs. you are referring to size of the chloride ligands which is larger than the water molecules

Original post by ChrisE2
I think it's the same for every transition metal except the book uses the example of chromium, chromium will still be able to have only 4 Cl- ligands

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Book says that? pls tell me where
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 701
Original post by arvin_infinity
No worries..any idea why ligand substitution with Cl ligands is very different for Cr!?

In a sense that only 2 water molecules is replaced by cl-1 ligands

There's a little bit about at the end of this page, but I don't know how necessary it is.
http://chemed.chem.wisc.edu/chempaths/GenChem-Textbook/Transition-Metal-Ions-in-Aqueous-Solutions-1055.html
Do we need to memorise the ionic equations for iodine, manganate and chromium?
Reply 703
Most probs. you are referring to size of the chloride ligands which is larger than the water molecules

See killjoys link, it has examples

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Check top of page 215 :smile:
Original post by DoctorVertigo
Do we need to memorise the ionic equations for iodine, manganate and chromium?

As far as i'm aware no but it might be good to remember them so it's not as much of a shock should they appear in the exam :smile:
Reply 706
Anyone seen that past paper question which is like how does platin treat cancer? I did that paper earlier and I swear it's a not in the book anywhere.
Reply 707
the stupid long questions on the past papers are so hard but then i look at the mark scheme and i get them, problem is im not going to have the mark scheme with me :frown:
Reply 708
Original post by Swifttt
Anyone seen that past paper question which is like how does platin treat cancer? I did that paper earlier and I swear it's a not in the book anywhere.

yeah its in a green box on one of the pages in the transition elements
Reply 709
^
Crap I defintely haven't learnt anything in the green boxes, I always thought they were like interesting but irrelevant information :/
Original post by niaghez
the stupid long questions on the past papers are so hard but then i look at the mark scheme and i get them, problem is im not going to have the mark scheme with me :frown:

Which ones?
The buffer solutions always want the same points written down
Original post by Swifttt

You've probably looked at the mark scheme, but it is in the specification, and the reasoning is:

The cis-platin binds with the DNA in cancerous cells, preventing the replication of DNA.(good shout Otrivine for calling me up on not specifying how this is beneficial :smile: )

Or at least, that is one way to answer it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 712
oh my days the jan2011 and june 2011 papers were hard!
how did people find them?
do u think we are going to get a hard paper this time? considering jan 2012 wasnt that bad?
Original post by Oromis263
You've probably looked at the mark scheme, but it is in the specification, and the reasoning is:

The cis-platin binds with the DNA in cancerous cells. (or at least, that is one way to answer it).

yes and that it prevents replication of DNA
Reply 714
Original post by LifeIsGood
Which ones?
The buffer solutions always want the same points written down

no those ones im okay with its mostly the ones that require you to form the equations and work out like the percentage of something in brass. like i know what i have to do but its hard without the equations :/
Original post by maddy93x
do u think we are going to get a hard paper this time? considering jan 2012 wasnt that bad?

I found them okay. I sat the Jan 2012 paper and it was not bad at all. Just scared they are going to kill us in June "/ . Hope not..
Reply 716
Original post by maddy93x

i found jan 2012 waaay harder than jan 2011, jan 2011 was much easier in my opinion lol
Reply 717
Jan 11 was the one where you needed 65/100 for an A, I found it pretty tough.
Original post by sumsum123
x

215 ? maybe I use a different textbook cuz that's got nothing about Chromium
Reply 719
Original post by sumsum123
I found them okay. I sat the Jan 2012 paper and it was not bad at all. Just scared they are going to kill us in June "/ . Hope not..

i just hope they are not gonna have awkward stretch and challenge questions :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending