The Student Room Group

Is my Extra-Curricular still relevant?

I've just finished my AS exams and now focusing on gathering together extra-curricular, voluntary and work experience in hope to study medicine!
In year 9,10 and 11, I used to do athletics (100m and relay) and competed in several competitions for my school! However i stopped so I could concentrate on my exams. I also used to be sports captain for 5 years.
Is this still relevant to put on my personal statement or is it too long ago?
Reply 1
Just make a mention of dedication to the schools athletics team and how you were captain for 5 years. It's not as if they are going to ring up the school to confirm you are still participating in it.
I would leave it out, only because they may expect you in compete at a relatively high level still. It would be awkward if they asked you in you intended to try for the university team and you had to explain that you last ran a couple of years ago.
Reply 3
Original post by CJM13
I would leave it out, only because they may expect you in compete at a relatively high level still. It would be awkward if they asked you in you intended to try for the university team and you had to explain that you last ran a couple of years ago.

true! but I'm planning on starting athletics again this summer with a professional trainer... would that be considered as a relatively high level though?
Reply 4
Original post by sugarysugar
I've just finished my AS exams and now focusing on gathering together extra-curricular, voluntary and work experience in hope to study medicine!
In year 9,10 and 11, I used to do athletics (100m and relay) and competed in several competitions for my school! However i stopped so I could concentrate on my exams. I also used to be sports captain for 5 years.
Is this still relevant to put on my personal statement or is it too long ago?

Leave out the competitions and when you did them on your personal statement. Your teacher can put that in your reference. Mention that you used to be a sports captain and how this experience is beneficial to a future doctor.
The most important thing is what you gained/learned from your extra-currics. Team work, leadership, dedication, etc.
The important thing with anything extracurricular is to remember that it isn't necessarily about what you do, but HOW it changed you. How have you been bettered as a person and why will this make you a better doctor.

Nobody except your mother is interested in a list of your accomplishments. I'm not and neither are the people who decide whether or not you can enter their fine institutions. What they want to know is how do you learn from your experiences. How do your experiences shape you. This will let them know that as a doctor if you were to make a mistake, for example, you would learn from it and hopefully not make it again. (It can also be important to talk about leadership, teamwork skills etc. but be aware everyone and their dog puts that in their personal statement).

I find tales when people fall and then pick themselves up far more interesting and rewarding then tales of achievements. A hero has to overcome adversity to be loved. Look at Batman, he experienced great trials and tribulations and he became great. Talk about learning from your mistakes (don't talk about Batman).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending