The Student Room Group

5 A's How?

Next year I have chosen Maths , English , Chemistry , Human Biology and History!

I have been wondering what would be the best of the best methods of achieving 5 A's!
Since it is relatively rare for a student to achieve 5 A's in 5th year it can't just be down to reading over notes and 'special study guides' can it?

What methods worked best for you?

What did you get A's in?

What requires the most work out of the subjects I have selected?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I got AAAAA in English Maths Biology Chemistry and Physics. It's not terribly difficult if you put enough work into studying early on. Do as many past papers as you possibly can and keep doing them, that's what I did. English definitely requires the most effort, and for me English papers really only started to click at the last possible moment. :tongue:
Reply 2
Thankyou for the advice!

I will read over notes every night from the content I've learnt that day!

I'm worried about English because of the essays! Do you read full novels during the year or certain passages to get quotes?

Delete TSR account.

Nah, just kidding, basically, do all the homework you get in Maths (helps so much!), History: do lots of timed essay's!
Reply 4
I got AAAAA in maths, english, bus man, accounting and physics.

There's a variety of strategies throughout the year could do. But, I think the most important thing for me was that, leading up to each exam, you have to be living and breathing the subject, I mean literally thinking all the time about it. When I start to dream about my subjects that's when I know I'm doing it right.
Reply 5
I'm assuming you mean in A-Level?

So far I've got one A and am predicted a further A*AAA. From experience all I can tell you is to keep your notes clear and well-organised, pay attention and do extra reading outside of class. People marking our papers are very happy to see individual examples instead of the same ones from the textbook over and over again!

In your revision plan your answers to all the possible questions that can come up, just in a rough frame so you are prepared when you open your paper.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by BigChimp
Next year I have chosen Maths , English , Chemistry , Human Biology and History!

I have been wondering what would be the best of the best methods of achieving 5 A's!
Since it is relatively rare for a student to achieve 5 A's in 5th year it can't just be down to reading over notes and 'special study guides' can it?

What methods worked best for you?

What did you get A's in?

What requires the most work out of the subjects I have selected?

I never got 5As but anyway I would say revise as early on as you can.

Out of the subjects you've chosen I would say History would require the least ammount of work, and maths and chemistry the most (this is just my personal opinion).

It is also a good idea not to give yourself too big a spread. Stay to an area your good at- this will make it much easier. My twin brother got 5as but all his subjects were roughly the same eg English, History, Philosophy etc

From day one pick out your sticking point and find a way to revise for it which works for you. I can gaurantee you everyone doing 5 highers has one subject they have a paticular problem with. Probably twice as many people get AAAAB than AAAAA!

For revision personally I used flash cards and the 'how to pass' books- the biology one is paticularly good! However different revision techniques work better for different people. To be honest I don't even think I understood my highers at all I just memorised a load of information and spilled it out at the exams! I wouldn't reccommend that as if there is a tricky exam paper it can throw you.

Good luck. I'm sure you can manage it. Just figure out what revision method works best for you, and the rest will come :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by emilie18
I'm assuming you mean in A-Level?

That'll be why he posted in the scottish qualification forum :rolleyes:
Original post by BigChimp

I'm worried about English because of the essays! Do you read full novels during the year or certain passages to get quotes?

I take English Lit and we have read full novels. By the time the exam has come though, you will probably be able to remember the quotes anyway or know where abouts in the novel they are.
Original post by Ellie_May :)
know where abouts in the novel they are.

If I remember correctly, English Lit A level is open-book? (There was certainly a trial of it.) SQA Higher English isn't.
Hey,

I just wrote out a big long post about this in another person thread practically 5 minutes before you posted your thread, i hope it might be useful to you aswell :smile:

Getting 5 A's is definetly achievable, i fell short but i never really aimed for 5 A's.

Basically first off you want to go onto Ebay/Play.com and buy second hand past papers, practice papers, revision guides, how to pass guides etc. Buy as many as you think you will need, believe me that you will run out of past papers to practice on. Guides are a great resource for telling you what you need to know, some have nice little summaries which are good time savers too. Thats the first step, the only step which requires you to buy some resources.
Tip for you btw, dont buy the most recent editions of past paper books - hence why you want to buy second hand ones - as you can get all of the last 4-5 years of papers from the sqa site ... its the pre 2007 papers you want to try and find.

Once you've got your books then download all of the available past papers, answers, arrangements documents, external reports and practice papers from the SQA site for each of your subjects. Take a quick look through all of these to get an idea of what to expect from the course.

Over the summer perhaps have a look at some of the revision booksa you will have, don't overdo it. Just get a basic idea what's covered i nthe courses and how much you will already need to know. Find out what bits from SG are needed and make sure you understand them all fully.

Thats the preparation phase done

Once your in your classes then take notes if you can, try to make them detailed and add in diagrams or any of your teachers comments throughout the lessons. Notes are important but it is far more valuable to listen to him and take in what he is saying, if you sit and take notes and understad nothing he is teaching then your doing yourself no favours. If you cant take notes and keep up with his teaching then simply make rough notes and you can add to them later on that day.

Make sure you keep up with all of the weekly homeworks, aim for 90%+ all of the time! - generally the easiest part of the course is unit 1. If there is anything, and i really do mean anything, that you dont quite get then ask your teacher about it. Most of the stuff from unit 1 you'll find will crop up again in later units and it will become more advanced, building on what you should already know.

Don't let people fool you by telling you to study every night. That is not necessary. You will want to study say 1 or 2 nights per week ontop of your homework. By study i simply mean go over the stuff youve learned this week, make sure that you really do know it all and try some examples. Thats it.
Follow this pattern for the rest of the year and you are guaranteed to achieve 5 A's.

When it comes exam time you will want to begin studying perhaps around 1 months before the exams start. Start slowly, 1 or 2 nights per week. Gradually build it up depending on how well you are handling the courses and how you feel. Eventually you might end up on 3-4 nights per week. It all depends on yourself, how much work you do throughout the year and how much you feel that you need to do. By this point you should have done every past papers available to you (or atleast most of them) Make sure that you understand every question that you get wrong, ask a teacher if you need to. Then Analyses the papers, you will notice trends - certain question come up every single year and you can bank on getting those marks - you will realise that there are only so many question that you can be asked and thus you can easily prepare to get your A by familiarising yourself with the questions.

It basically boils down to how much you work during the year, and then the few weeks before your exam. If your motivated enough then you will easily get your 5 A's :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by stephenmca
Hey,

I just wrote out a big long post about this in another person thread practically 5 minutes before you posted your thread, i hope it might be useful to you aswell :smile:

Getting 5 A's is definetly achievable, i fell short but i never really aimed for 5 A's.

Basically first off you want to go onto Ebay/Play.com and buy second hand past papers, practice papers, revision guides, how to pass guides etc. Buy as many as you think you will need, believe me that you will run out of past papers to practice on. Guides are a great resource for telling you what you need to know, some have nice little summaries which are good time savers too. Thats the first step, the only step which requires you to buy some resources.
Tip for you btw, dont buy the most recent editions of past paper books - hence why you want to buy second hand ones - as you can get all of the last 4-5 years of papers from the sqa site ... its the pre 2007 papers you want to try and find.

Once you've got your books then download all of the available past papers, answers, arrangements documents, external reports and practice papers from the SQA site for each of your subjects. Take a quick look through all of these to get an idea of what to expect from the course.

Over the summer perhaps have a look at some of the revision booksa you will have, don't overdo it. Just get a basic idea what's covered i nthe courses and how much you will already need to know. Find out what bits from SG are needed and make sure you understand them all fully.

Thats the preparation phase done

Once your in your classes then take notes if you can, try to make them detailed and add in diagrams or any of your teachers comments throughout the lessons. Notes are important but it is far more valuable to listen to him and take in what he is saying, if you sit and take notes and understad nothing he is teaching then your doing yourself no favours. If you cant take notes and keep up with his teaching then simply make rough notes and you can add to them later on that day.

Make sure you keep up with all of the weekly homeworks, aim for 90%+ all of the time! - generally the easiest part of the course is unit 1. If there is anything, and i really do mean anything, that you dont quite get then ask your teacher about it. Most of the stuff from unit 1 you'll find will crop up again in later units and it will become more advanced, building on what you should already know.

Don't let people fool you by telling you to study every night. That is not necessary. You will want to study say 1 or 2 nights per week ontop of your homework. By study i simply mean go over the stuff youve learned this week, make sure that you really do know it all and try some examples. Thats it.
Follow this pattern for the rest of the year and you are guaranteed to achieve 5 A's.

When it comes exam time you will want to begin studying perhaps around 1 months before the exams start. Start slowly, 1 or 2 nights per week. Gradually build it up depending on how well you are handling the courses and how you feel. Eventually you might end up on 3-4 nights per week. It all depends on yourself, how much work you do throughout the year and how much you feel that you need to do. By this point you should have done every past papers available to you (or atleast most of them) Make sure that you understand every question that you get wrong, ask a teacher if you need to. Then Analyses the papers, you will notice trends - certain question come up every single year and you can bank on getting those marks - you will realise that there are only so many question that you can be asked and thus you can easily prepare to get your A by familiarising yourself with the questions.

It basically boils down to how much you work during the year, and then the few weeks before your exam. If your motivated enough then you will easily get your 5 A's :smile:

Fantastic advice mate! Thank you!!

Reply 12
Thank you to everyone else as well ! I will merge all this advice and try my best!

Reply 13
Original post by Evan7788
That'll be why he posted in the scottish qualification forum :rolleyes:

Oh, oops! Sorry.... :colondollar:
Original post by TheUnbeliever
If I remember correctly, English Lit A level is open-book? (There was certainly a trial of it.) SQA Higher English isn't.

Yes it is you are right.
I'm just saying that by the time the exam comes, you will probably be able to remember the exact quote anyway, and know where in the book it is so it is easier to find the quote in the book rather than trying to flick through all the pages trying to find it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending