The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

just wondering is it still possible to get an A on this exam without doing the essay at the end..?
Original post by jiggaman92
Hi all,

just wondering is it still possible to get an A on this exam without doing the essay at the end..?

I guess so.. you only need like 65 marks or something to get an A...
How do you guys mark your essays?
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
I guess so.. you only need like 65 marks or something to get an A...

PHEEEWWW..! :happy2:

i mean it's not like im not going to attempt it, i just think im not going to do very well.
Reply 664
Original post by IamBeowulf
How do you guys mark your essays?

I live 5 minutes (2 minutes if I sprint) away from school so even though I left I pop in to give essays in and get feedback.
Reply 665
When do people stop doing biology past paper questions and just focus on 100% textbook revision.

I'm thinking 2 days before the exam but I'm to hear what other people's strategies are.
Reply 666
Original post by Nuss
When do people stop doing biology past paper questions and just focus on 100% textbook revision.

I'm thinking 2 days before the exam but I'm to hear what other people's strategies are.

I never use my class notes.
I use 100% textbooks and of exam style questions a couple of weeks before the exam.
Then I use past papers a week or so before the exam.
What I do on the days before the exam depend entirely on which exams I have the days before the exam.
Hi, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a list of possible areas essays can be on?
I have a list of past questions, but i want to be prepared for everything and can't seem to find a list of spec areas anywhere
:smile:
Reply 668
does anyone know where i can find the jan 12 unit 4 paper markscheme? can't seem to find it anywhere
Original post by 301lw
does anyone know where i can find the jan 12 unit 4 paper markscheme? can't seem to find it anywhere

Here you are!

:tongue:
Original post by 301lw

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupID=870318&ResourceId=4497804 ������ biology unit 4 jan 2012

sorry i thought you said QP haha
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 671
Original post by clairelouise444
Hi, I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a list of possible areas essays can be on?
I have a list of past questions, but i want to be prepared for everything and can't seem to find a list of spec areas anywhere
:smile:

Hi some essays that i think are bound to come up are the structure and importance of proteins, and importance of ATP. there pretty broad questions and allow you to talk about aspects from all of the units.
Reply 672
Going mad with restriction mapping!!

To those who have the CGP guide, can you please explain to me the stuff about radioactive labels, and why if its radioactive, the piece must be on the label bit?
Also, I just dont get it in general, oh well ...only a few marks :/

PLEAAAASE! Thankyou
Original post by EffKayy

To those who have the CGP guide, can you please explain to me the stuff about radioactive labels, and why if its radioactive, the piece must be on the label bit?

PLEAAAASE! Thankyou

I can't really explain the restriction mapping thing, took me a while to understand myself.

What stuff about radioactive labels? There's quite a few things that include them
Reply 674
Original post by EffKayy

PLEAAAASE! Thankyou

The radioactive labels allow the pieces of DNA to be shown through an X-Ray for Genetic Fingerprinting for example, the stuff from Electrophoresis so you know where the fragments of DNA are

There are other uses as well, such as for Genetic Screening, where Probes are used to find Genetic diseases. They do this by making radioactive or fluorescent probes which are complimentary to the section of the DNA which code for the disease. The DNA Probes hybridise to the section of DNA if its present, and then its developed under radiography, they will be able to see if there is a gene or not
Nearly finished with Homeostasis, need to do Oestrous Cycle and that's just revision over AQA exam questions as I understand it pretty well, then BIOL4 revision. Has anyone got a list of HSW general questions? They always pop up in our exams and are worth a few marks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Question: Type II Diabetes

On the CGP guide page 73, it says Cells don't respond properly because the insulin receptors on their membranes don't work properly, so cells don't take up enough glucose. This means blood glucose concentration is higher than normal.

Does this mean that the cells are not able to uptake glucose as their receptors do not work efficiently so it's released into the blood instead?
Seems to be a lot of Biol4 revision on here, are people revising it for the synoptic element or for resits? With regards to unit 5, Gene Tech is such a lengthy topic! So much of the topic overlap I feel like I'm repeating myself!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by EffKayy

PLEAAAASE! Thankyou

looooool mwadness, let me know when you wanna go on scriblink so we can discuss restriction mapping in a little more detail
Reply 679
Original post by LifeIsGood
Question: Type II Diabetes

On the CGP guide page 73, it says Cells don't respond properly because the insulin receptors on their membranes don't work properly, so cells don't take up enough glucose. This means blood glucose concentration is higher than normal.

Does this mean that the cells are not able to uptake glucose as their receptors do not work efficiently so it's released into the blood instead?

Yeah, insulin can bind to the receptors, but it does not elicit the normal response that increases glucose absorption/enzyme/respiration by the cell (it's known as insulin resistance) and so more glucose remains in the blood = patient has a higher blood glucose level which can lead to problems such as hardening of the arteries and heart disease and damage to the retina.

In type II, insulin production by the Beta cells can also be impaired after a few years, which means that some patients receive insulin injections as part of type II treatment of managing carbohydrate intake.

The key idea is that whilst the cells can uptake glucose normally, the insulin fails to instruct them to.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending