The Student Room Group

Does mRNA diffuse through nuclear pore

Does mRNA diffuse through nuclear pores?
If not then how does it leave the nucleus
It is not diffusion but rather active transport.Just to make it simple , certain proteins called "export proteins" or ' exportins ' bind to the mRNA (which carries nuclear export signals ) within the nucleus.The exportin protein is also bound to Ran-GTP (compare to ATP for simplicity) .The exportin carries the mRNA to the cytoplasm where Ran-GTP disassociates in to Ran-GDP and mRNA is let free from the exportin protein.
Original post by ilovemath
Does mRNA diffuse through nuclear pores?
If not then how does it leave the nucleus

In simple terms, mRNA exits the the nucleus via the nuclear pores, so it can reach the ribosomes, which are in the cytoplasm / on the RER.
Reply 3
Original post by thegodofgod
In simple terms, mRNA exits the the nucleus via the nuclear pores, so it can reach the ribosomes, which are in the cytoplasm / on the RER.

I mean the mechanism: diffusion/active transport...
I mean the mechanism: diffusion/active transport...

Ah - I thought you wanted to ask whether mRNA leaves the nucleus via the nuclear pores :tongue:
Reply 5
Ah - I thought you wanted to ask whether mRNA leaves the nucleus via the nuclear pores :tongue:

so is post #2 correct - i.e: active transport?
so is post #2 correct - i.e: active transport?

No idea, sorry, we don't go into much detail on the AQA course :frown:

However, all Wikipedia mentions, is:

Wikipedia Link
Wikipedia Link Another difference between eukaryotes and prokaryotes is mRNA transport. Because eukaryotic transcription and translation is compartmentally separated, eukaryotic mRNAs must be exported from the nucleus to the cytoplasm. Mature mRNAs are recognized by their processed modifications and then exported through the nuclear pore. In neurons, mRNA must be transported from the soma to the dendrites where local translation occurs in response to external stimuli. Many messages are marked with so-called 'zip codes,' which target their transport to a specific location.
Reply 7
No idea, sorry, we don't go into much detail on the AQA course :frown:

Yes I do AQA too....never mind...I presume they wont ask it then
Yes I do AQA too....never mind...I presume they wont ask it then

They won't ask in the Unit 5 section, although it may be good to know as the 'off-spec' material for the synoptic essay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest