The Student Room Group

Southampton Vs Birmingham - Presige and rankings

I am still undecided between the university of Birmingham and Southampton

Out of around 12 factors i have concidered and compared these are the main ones that will help me decide.

Southmapton is ranked really high and gets the best satisfactions cores for the course hat i want to study - The University is higher in the rankings - does that mean it is more prestigious? Would it be a waste not to go there?

The course structure and module choices at Southampton appeal more to me - the core/ compulsory ones anyway -

With Birmingham - I felt more of an affinity with it when i visited, felt more cmfortable and at home there, - The negative side is that the core/compulsory modules are not as appealing as southampton and it is ranked 13-20 places lower on league tables for my course than southampton.

I shouldn;t really care about prestige and rankings, but only do because i wonder if it will make a difference in my future. Will going to Southampton because of it's higher ranking really make a difference? Will it make me stand out to a person identical to me that went to Birmingham?
League tables really are a load of tosh. Southampton and Birmingham are on a par with each other overall for prestige.

However, if the module options are more attractive at Soton, I'd err towards going there. After all, it's what you're going to be spending most of your time doing.
Reply 2
Honestly they're both good Russell Group unis, Soton has pretty much been consistently in the top 20 for a long time now (without spending lots of money on publicity/advertising), since well in the early 90s, Birmingham usually does pretty well too, but I think Soton does better overall, especially if you're doing something like engineering.

IMO if you feel more comfortable and at home there then that's great, but was that just on a one day visit or something?

Modules are important-that's what you'll be doing remember.
Reply 3
Original post by fnm
Honestly they're both good Russell Group unis, Soton has pretty much been consistently in the top 20 for a long time now (without spending lots of money on publicity/advertising), since well in the early 90s, Birmingham usually does pretty well too, but I think Soton does better overall, especially if you're doing something like engineering.

IMO if you feel more comfortable and at home there then that's great, but was that just on a one day visit or something?

Modules are important-that's what you'll be doing remember.

It was a day visit actually. I was worried that i should be emphasising the course criteria more than my feelings for the university, but then on the other hand university life is about more than just the course isn't it? So I don't want to put that aside. If the two universities had the same module choices i would definitely have picked Birmingham for various other reasons too. But alas they don't which is why i'm swimming in circles.
Reply 4
Original post by Syni*Saphire
It was a day visit actually. I was worried that i should be emphasising the course criteria more than my feelings for the university, but then on the other hand university life is about more than just the course isn't it? So I don't want to put that aside. If the two universities had the same module choices i would definitely have picked Birmingham for various other reasons too. But alas they don't which is why i'm swimming in circles.

But you're judging uni life from one visit. What do you mean by uni life-nightlife? They're both big cities with lots on offer. What are the other reasons?
Reply 5
Sounds like Soton is a better fit for you, but hey it's your choice
Reply 6
Original post by Syni*Saphire

Which subject?
Original post by Craghyrax
Which subject?

I believe it's Modern Languages and European Studies, from a previous related thread I posted in.
Reply 8
Original post by Stressworthy
I believe it's Modern Languages and European Studies, from a previous related thread I posted in.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 9
I went to an open + interview day a month ago & i thought it felt a bit hostile, but Ive declined my other offers & firmed Southampton in the end. The modules' choice is great, which is probably the most important thing.. I'm sure the open day is probably just not presented well which makes it seem a bit unhomely, but anyway if were all likeminded & felt the same way , we can all make it feel like a home quickly.
Have you visited Southampton University? I can tell you pretty much everyone I know on my course (now at the end of year 4 of 4...) loves this place. The campus is so homely and nice, and the department is one of the best you could hope for.

The flexibility of module choice is one of the most salient factors of the Southampton course. As for reputation, your average person won't know the difference between ML rankings for Soton and B'ham so I wouldn't worry. Just go with your heart. But if you haven't come here and had a look yet, do so!
Original post by Stressworthy

hey im studying that too this year, i was wondering where you ended up going and what the course was like and the uni overall? do they have good links with erasmus? Im stuck between the two too! Any comments ordvice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest