The Student Room Group

How much money should I suggest for job?

Hi,

I have been offered a temporary 2 week position at a medical company during my December university holiday.

In the email, they are asking how much would I like to get paid for this 2 week period, any suggestion for what I should say? It would be great to earn some money, but I don't want to be pushy or rude.

Thanks
how many hours would you be working? And what does it involve?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Start high and haggle. £700.
Reply 3
Original post by Plums&Peaches
how many hours would you be working? And what does it involve?

Original post by shezshez
Start high and haggle. £700.

It is a medical research company, and involves medical statistics, modelling medicines on computers etc.

I presume it will be a 9-5 job 5 days a week for 2 weeks... I think I may suggest an hourly rate

How about £5-10 an hour?
Original post by number23
Hi,

I have been offered a temporary 2 week position at a medical company during my December university holiday.

In the email, they are asking how much would I like to get paid for this 2 week period, any suggestion for what I should say? It would be great to earn some money, but I don't want to be pushy or rude.

Thanks

I'd try to (pretend to) leave it up to them. Say something like "I'm happy to leave that to you to offer a reasonable salary". That way they'll come back with a questioning "How's £10?" and then you can start the negotiations :colone: It's such a weird aspect of job applications, you have to tread carefully to avoid losing the offer or getting paid too little :smile:
Full time or part time?

If you say you're working 9 to 5 for five days each week. Thats 80 hours. Min wage about £6 so that would be £480.
Maybe ask for about £500 to £800
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
i think im going to suggest ~£7 an hour
Original post by number23
i think im going to suggest ~£7 an hour

Haggle to 8, if you're only temporary :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Plums&Peaches
Haggle to 8, if you're only temporary :rolleyes:

oops sent it now :tongue:

tbh its really good experience so im not too fussed about the money