The Student Room Group

Negative feedback loop?

I am trying to understand how to describe negative feedback including all the terms "set point", "receptor", "controller", "effector" and "feedback loop" (these are all the words listed in my book)

I was wondering if someone could check my explanation and perhaps provide an alternate BETTER explanation.

My explanation:

Negative feedback occurs when there is a change from set levels. These changes are detected by a receptor and a mechanism is initiated to return the internal conditions to normal levels. It is the role of the effector to bring about the change.

As you can see I have been unable to indluce the terms "controller" or "feedback loop" in my explanation. Can someone please help me incorporate these words into my explanation

Thanks
Original post by ilovemath
I am trying to understand how to describe negative feedback including all the terms "set point", "receptor", "controller", "effector" and "feedback loop" (these are all the words listed in my book)

I was wondering if someone could check my explanation and perhaps provide an alternate BETTER explanation.

My explanation:

Negative feedback occurs when there is a change from set levels. These changes are detected by a receptor and a mechanism is initiated to return the internal conditions to normal levels. It is the role of the effector to bring about the change.

As you can see I have been unable to indluce the terms "controller" or "feedback loop" in my explanation. Can someone please help me incorporate these words into my explanation

Thanks

Homeostatic control of any system involves a series of stages featuring:

the set point - desired level (norm), at which the system operates

a receptor - detects any deviation from the set point

a controller - coordinates information from various sources

an effector - brings about the corrective measures needed to return the system to the set point

a feedback loop - informs the receptor of the changes to the system brought about by the effector.

Negative feedback occurs when the feedback causes the corrective measures to be turned off. In doing so, it returns the system to its original (normal) level, e.g. thermoregulation, and blood glucoregulation.

Positive feedback occurs when the feedback causes the corrective measures to remain turned on. In doing so, it causes the system to deviate even more from the original (normal) level. It occurs often when there is a breakdown of control systems.

Back to original question: try to incorporate the above key terms / definitions into your paragraph :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by thegodofgod

Back to original question: try to incorporate the above key terms / definitions into your paragraph :smile:.

The feedback loop is responsible for turning the "corrective mechanisms" off. This prevents the "corrective mechanism" from deviating too far from the set point. It is the role of receptors to detect the change and the role of the effectors to bring about the change (i.e: return the system back to normal conditions).

It seems that I now just have to fit in "co-ordinator"....err...
Original post by ilovemath
The feedback loop is responsible for turning the "corrective mechanisms" off. This prevents the "corrective mechanism" from deviating too far from the set point. It is the role of receptors to detect the change and the role of the co-ordinator to interpret the information from various receptors. The role of the effectors is to bring about the change (i.e: return the system back to normal conditions).

It seems that I now just have to fit in "co-ordinator"....err...

Sorted :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod
Sorted :smile:

cheers :smile:
I would +rep but it won't let me b4 I +rep others...sorry

Quick Reply

Latest