The Student Room Group

History OCR GCSE exam tips!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
We did the civil right movement too :biggrin: i got 49/50. I loved learning about all that kind of stuff and I will do it again in college apparently so I'll already have a good understanding.
Original post by Michael's
No problem ;D good luck for Tuesday if you are doing it with me :biggrin:

Yeah I am doing it Tuesday aswell :smile:, oh did you think that was a 9 out of 9 ! :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by GreatArtist2012
Yeah I am doing it Tuesday aswell :smile:, oh did you think that was a 9 out of 9 ! :smile:

I did ;D
Reply 43
My teacher said that appeasement is quite likely to come up-it would be the first time in three years. But revise everything!
Just remember why Chamberlain used appeasement etc and what it did to Britain and WWII
GOOD LUCK!
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries for paper 1 and 2 are :smile: ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ChestnutHero
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries for paper 1 and 2 are :smile: ?

Really depends what Depth Study you doing for Paper 1 and Paper 2. Roughly, for Paper 1, you'll need low 60s for an A*, low 50s for an A, mid 40s for a B and high 30s for a C. As for Paper 2, low 40s for an A*, mid 30s for an A, low 30s for a B and mid 20s for a C.
Reply 46
Hey I was wondering, how do you guys answer source questions which ask "Why was it published in ...." and also, how do you answer "Does this surprise you?" sources?
"Why was it published?" is the same as "What is the purpose of the source?", in other words what effect the publisher wanted to achieve. Remember to backup your answer using details from the source and your own contextual knowledge.

"Does this surprise you?" basically means is it typical of the time period or is what you expected at the time? Mention why it does surprise you AND why it doesn't surprise you. Remember details from the source and contextual knowledge, as well as cross-referencing if you know how to do it.

Any questions, free feel to ask.
Reply 48
Original post by Catching22
"Why was it published?" is the same as "What is the purpose of the source?", in other words what effect the publisher wanted to achieve. Remember to backup your answer using details from the source and your own contextual knowledge.

"Does this surprise you?" basically means is it typical of the time period or is what you expected at the time? Mention why it does surprise you AND why it doesn't surprise you. Remember details from the source and contextual knowledge, as well as cross-referencing if you know how to do it.

Any questions, free feel to ask.

So for the Does this surprise you questions, do I relate this to the current time the source was made and the situation it was in? So if the source was on the Abyssinian crisis would i say like Yes it does surprise me as Italy was part of the league and were meant to keep peace rather than provoke it?
Original post by Catching22
Really depends what Depth Study you doing for Paper 1 and Paper 2. Roughly, for Paper 1, you'll need low 60s for an A*, low 50s for an A, mid 40s for a B and high 30s for a C. As for Paper 2, low 40s for an A*, mid 30s for an A, low 30s for a B and mid 20s for a C.

Ah cool thanks :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Michael's
So for the Does this surprise you questions, do I relate this to the current time the source was made and the situation it was in? So if the source was on the Abyssinian crisis would i say like Yes it does surprise me as Italy was part of the league and were meant to keep peace rather than provoke it?

That's right. You can also "cross-reference": look at other sources in the paper and use it as support to whether it was surprising or not. For example, Source B is surprising as Source C shows that... or Source B is not surprising as Source F supports Source B in the fact that...
Reply 51
Ahhh thank you:biggrin:
Reply 52
Originally Posted by Catching22

how do you know that??
Reply 53
Anyone studying Medicine Through Time? I'm doing it alongside Nazi Germany.
Im doing OCR Germany (1918-1945) and Medicine through time (aswell as Penicillin, the following friday). I obtained an A in my CA, however i quite literally have not studied yet. I have done some questions for Germany and feel relatively comfortable, but with ancient medicine, im f**ked! Procrastinating at its finest ):

Is anyone else doing medicine? If so, is there any particular topics your studying?

** If anyone has revision notes for Germany or Medicine, or helpful websites. I would be extremely thankful. **
Original post by GwuanGwuan
Originally Posted by Catching22

how do you know that??

OCR release the grade boundaries on results day. It's on their website.
Reply 56
Does any one know how much am I supposed to write for 6/7 and 8/9 (comparison question) mark question in the British depth study paper, because i write about half a page for the 6/7 and 2/3 of a page for the 8/9 mark questions. Is it enough or should i write more ?
Re: GCSE History exam tuesday 12th june :frown:
HELLO EVERYONE. I AM CONFUSED ABOUT THE MODERN WORLD PAPER I AM DOING INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS 1919-2005 USA 1945-1975

Basically there is a part 1: which consists of 3 sections with are inter war, cold war and new world. And part 2: depth study USA. I am unsure about part 1: I understand there is a choice, but I was wondering was that in the exam will we be given all 3 sections to choose from or different schools given different sections on what they have studied ??? I looked at OCR website and found that we had studied all 3 sections at a past paper, but when my teacher gave me a past paper he missed out section 1 and 2 from part 1?? Is this because we haven't studied part 1 and 2 or was that just because he condensed it. Thank you everyone and good luck to all.. ( I will rep
0 0
Reply 58
Original post by tupac makaveli
Re: GCSE History exam tuesday 12th june :frown:
HELLO EVERYONE. I AM CONFUSED ABOUT THE MODERN WORLD PAPER I AM DOING INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS 1919-2005 USA 1945-1975

Basically there is a part 1: which consists of 3 sections with are inter war, cold war and new world. And part 2: depth study USA. I am unsure about part 1: I understand there is a choice, but I was wondering was that in the exam will we be given all 3 sections to choose from or different schools given different sections on what they have studied ??? I looked at OCR website and found that we had studied all 3 sections at a past paper, but when my teacher gave me a past paper he missed out section 1 and 2 from part 1?? Is this because we haven't studied part 1 and 2 or was that just because he condensed it. Thank you everyone and good luck to all.. ( I will rep
0 0

Ummm, I'm not sure what exactly you're stuck on but this is what is going to basically be in the paper:

You will be a pretty big booklet with section A and B. It's gonna be big because it will have questions for many topics, not just the topics you have studied. You may have studied the cold war, others may have studied the causes of world war 2. You turn to the page which contains questions based on the topics you have studied in school. So yeah, you will get a question paper and you answer only a small section of it, other schools may do other sections. You will need to do one question out of the few that are given in the topic you have studied, and answer the sub questions (a,b,c).

*this is for Paper 1
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Good luck everyone! I did OCR history GCSE, and my advice for you all would be, for the longer questions, constantly refer back to the question! (i.e all the time!) I have A2 OCR history on tues, and i'm hopefully doing history at university next year, but it seems like yesterday i was sitting this exam :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending