The Student Room Group

Free periods

Hello. I've just entered sixth year, and I have a lot of free periods. In fact on Thursday, I only have double spanish in the morning and nothing else. I was wondering whether I could just go home, because I haven't got another class, or would I get in trouble. We aren't registered, and lots of people with a free period at the end of the day just go home. What do you think? :confused:
That depends on your sixth form, at mine we couldn't go home until year 13 and not in year 12 so just ask your head of sixth form or tutor

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Climb over the school gates? Put your ninja skills to the test.
you should be able to because you won't be signing onto any register so just walk out, they can't exactly mark you as absent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well... you should be able to but it depends on how strict you teachers are and how strict the rules are in your school.

Some schools are flexible with this sort of stuff.
Reply 5
Original post by logopolis
Hello. I've just entered sixth year, and I have a lot of free periods. In fact on Thursday, I only have double spanish in the morning and nothing else. I was wondering whether I could just go home, because I haven't got another class, or would I get in trouble. We aren't registered, and lots of people with a free period at the end of the day just go home. What do you think? :confused:

I was banned from going home this year because apparently 78% attendance is bad :K:.
So me and my m8 (Who's bus only runs twice a day) had to spend the whole day in school :/.
There are a lot of things that you can do in school like make up an imaginary stair case and walk down it while the whole of the Year 7 class is looking at you :wink:.
Pull the imaginary rope trick in the car park :biggrin:.
The possibilities are endless old chap :rolleyes:
Reply 6
At my sixth form me we can go in and out the place as we please if we dont have any lessons that periods. Many times i've only had 1st period. Then i've gone home after that. But we had to sign out, incase of a fire alarm
Original post by bahjat93
I was banned from going home this year because apparently 78% attendance is bad :K:.
So me and my m8 (Who's bus only runs twice a day) had to spend the whole day in school :/.
There are a lot of things that you can do in school like make up an imaginary stair case and walk down it while the whole of the Year 7 class is looking at you :wink:.
Pull the imaginary rope trick in the car park :biggrin:.
The possibilities are endless old chap :rolleyes:

78% attendance is awful js
Reply 8
We're allowed to just leave when we have free periods, though we're supposed to sign out in case of a fire drill.. Very few people actually do.

We have registration/form first thing every morning, though, but if you have a free period first lesson on Monday/Wednesday/Friday you don't have to come in. On Tues/Thurs its an extended form/mentoring session, so everyone who has a lesson that day has to come in, even if their only lesson is last period...

Otherwise, free times are ours to do what we want with them. Only time we have to stay in college for a free is during the one period per week that gets assigned to 'Learning&Mentoring', which is basically the heads of 6th form helping people with studying or UCAS/CV stuff..

Edit: If a teacher isn't there, you're also allowed to collect the work and leave if you want. In fact, my Graphics class this year had a timetabled lesson with no teacher assigned (1 every other week), which we were allowed to have as a free if we wanted.. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
In my sixth form, you just come and go for your lessons in year 12 and 13 but I'd strongly recommend you stay in for most of your free periods to study. We went from 30 people to 3-5 people in our A2 classes ( sciences and maths ) because most failed and none of them did stay in school any longer than needed. My sixth form isn't that good so it's not a surprise but I'd still recommend it if it's as bad as mine
Reply 10
should be fine you might want to check with your college/school though ive found some are a lot more uptight than others; for instance my one, if you felt the need you could go home whenever whilst my friends they made you stay in for the entire day -_- unlucky for him seeing as he only had one lesson first :P
Check with your sixth form, everywhere is different.

At my sixth form we could leave after 1pm in year 12 but could go whenever we wanted at year 13. The distance wasn't worth it in some cases when I had huge gaps in between. I just stayed there those days or left if I only had morning classes.
If ya finished by lunch time, and you're not registered... I'd assume you can go unless told otherwise :smile:

(you may wish to check with a teacher, or at least make sure you're not the only one though :wink: )
Reply 13
lol sixthform students can leave when they want because no 1 is forcing us to be there ..... so yes free periods you can leave and go home though many use the opotunity to study in the libary or w/e though i normaly dont unless we are near the exam period.
Reply 14
Original post by LordBradburn
78% attendance is awful js

The irony is that i had the 3rd worst attendance in a sixth form of 300 people -_-
Original post by bahjat93
The irony is that i had the 3rd worst attendance in a sixth form of 300 people -_-

Someone in my tutor had attendance of 52%, mine was 90.4%

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by logopolis

Speak to your tutor/head of 6th form and see what they say, all 6th forms are different, some will let you go home, some wont.
If you are up to date with school work, your attendance is good etc, then i cant see why not.
Reply 17
Original post by Emma:-)
Speak to your tutor/head of 6th form and see what they say, all 6th forms are different, some will let you go home, some wont.
If you are up to date with school work, your attendance is good etc, then i cant see why not.

I asked my guidance teacher, and she said I could, but I'm still a little unsure because the new deputy head in charge of timetabling has messed everything up so no one has a clue where they're meant to be, and she tells us off if we get it wrong (nobody likes her much, for obvious reasons).

But we just changed over (I'm Scottish, one year Higher and Advanced Higher courses as opposed to two year A-Levels), so I haven't got any work to lose track of yet, and my attendance is perfect, because I receive an EMA, so they can't acuse me of being a bad student that's not trying hard enough or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending