The Student Room Group

Woman raped at 3am by a sick nasty rapist after getting thrown off the bus...

... because she was 20p short off a measly bus fare.

-Joseph Moran, 19, found guilty of raping the law student

-Judge praises woman's courage as he condemns 'grave crime'

-Police questions why no other passenger stepped forward to help

-The victim was just 20p short of the £5 bus fare

-She was beaten so badly her own mother didn't home recognise her

She was stranded at 3am on one of the coldest nights

of the year.

The 22-year-old law student begged a bus driver to let

her on board but he refused because she was just 20p

short of the £5 fare for her journey home.

None of his dozens of passengers offered to help

leaving her at the mercy of a rapist in a sickening

example of callous disregard for others.

Joseph Moran, 19, pounced as his victim began to

walk home. She was so badly battered that her mother

failed to recognise her.

Moran, who has convictions for burglary and assault,

was found guilty of rape and wounding with intent by a

jury at Nottingham Crown Court yesterday.

Judge James Sampson adjourned sentencing until

July 27 for reports but told Moran an indeterminate

sentence for public protection was a 'realistic

possibility'.

He added: 'Whatever the nature of the sentence, it will

be a lengthy one indeed. This was an extremely grave

crime.'

The attack happened in December last year. CCTV

footage shows the girl pleading with the bus driver for

eight minutes before he eventually turns her away.

Dozens of other passengers can be seen boarding the bus while she begs to be allowed on. None of them offers

to lend her the paltry 20p she needs.

Speaking after the verdict, the officer in charge of the case questioned why other passengers who boarded the

bus while she begged to be allowed on failed to lend her the 20p she needed for the 14-mile journey home.

Detective Chief Inspector Rob Griffin, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: 'It is tempting to start to attribute blame,

and one might try to blame the driver of the bus.

'But had she got on the bus, I think he would have attacked someone else. The only person to blame is Joseph

Moran.

'It is difficult to speak for the other passengers on the bus and they made a judgement that night. Knowing what

they know now, they may have given her that 20 pence.'

Here's a pic of the shifty piece of scum that did this!*
UGLY PIECE OF ****.

I'm sorry you had to suffer the misfortune of witnessing that ugly ****!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2156000/Women-raped-thrown-bus-20p-short-fare-filmed-pleading-driver-EIGHT-minutes-officer-charge-case-asks-passengers-gave-money.html
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What does the bus fare have to do with it? It's not like every time someone cant afford a bus the assumption is they're going to be raped walking home.
Reply 2
It is her fault aswell as the guy. She should have made sure she had the money and he obviously is mainly to blame. You cant blame the driver or passengers
Original post by DynamicSyngery
What does the bus fare have to do with it? It's not like every time someone cant afford a bus the assumption is they're going to be raped walking home.

Obviously, but if you read the article properly you'd understand where that view comes from. I can't be bothered to write it all again.
Original post by ras90
It is her fault aswell as the guy. She should have made sure she had the money and he obviously is mainly to blame. You cant blame the driver or passengers

When did I do that?
Reply 5
This is a case of hindsight being a wonderful thing.

I remember being 20p short it might have been a bit more or less than that.

Also that doesn't bode well.

p.s. £5 for a bus fare wtf?!!
Reply 6
you can't blame the driver or passengers, that's true, the only one to blame is the rapist, however the bus driver and passengers will have to live with the fact that they didn't help for the rest of their lives. how could anyone be so greedy not to offer 20p if they had it. jheez!!
Original post by ras90

Theres trolling and then theres just being downright heartless.

In no way was it HER fault to get raped. Yes she should have made sure she had the right amount of money so she could get home safely, but just because she didnt how does that make it her fault? No one asks to get raped.

Maybe she lost the 20p she needed or something.

And yeh its no one else's fault, but at 3am in the morning who would make someone walk home?! I bet that bus driver feels so guilty (though again, its not his fault).

I feel so sorry for the girl, she must be feeling so bad right now. I bet shes blaming herself 'what if id called my parents'' ''what if id had the 20p'' but no one knows whats going to happen or whats just round the corner. And in no way is it any of her fault!

:frown: it really is sad, and people like that scumbag should NEVER be allowed to see the light of day again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Hmmm. Let me guess the victim was white.
Reply 9
Original post by ras90

But you can't blame her for being raped.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 10
This is really sad :frown:

I wont try deflecting the blame to anyone as it solely the fault of the rapist. The bus driver was just doing his job, its quite likely he works night shifts and this probably wasn't the first time he's had to turn down drunk/tipsy/sober people because they didn't pay up. You can't blame the passengers for not lending the money either, how were they to know what was going to happen? if they did, im sure any half decent human being would pay up. Also, it is likely they didn't know how much she needed or just generally what's going on, it was 3am they were most likely intoxicated, and whos to say they had that money? maybe they just rely on their bus pass or they just didnt want to draw attention to themselves. It's not the girls fault either, ideally her worst case scenario should have been having to walk the distance home on a dark night, in a pair of high heels or whatever she was wearing.. not be raped. So she isn't to "blame", but she really should have taken more money with her and if she couldnt afford it - not gone out that night. But then again, theres always instances once in a blue moon that you lose your purse etc.. this is why - girls as trashy as it is, pop a fiver/tenner into your bra before a night out! just incase push comes to shove, though its not classy putting your hand down your top at least you have a way home!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Ice Constricter
UGLY PIECE OF ****.

You know, those are the exact same words that escaped my mouth when I saw the mugshot, and then I spotted your comment. :lol:

I think we can say the jury's out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Theres trolling and then theres just being downright heartless.

In no way was it HER fault to get raped. Yes she should have made sure she had the right amount of money so she could get home safely, but just because she didnt how does that make it her fault? No one asks to get raped.

Maybe she lost the 20p she needed or something.

And yeh its no one else's fault, but at 3am in the morning who would make someone walk home?! I bet that bus driver feels so guilty (though again, its not his fault).

I feel so sorry for the girl, she must be feeling so bad right now. I bet shes blaming herself 'what if id called my parents'' ''what if id had the 20p'' but no one knows whats going to happn or whats just round the corner.

:frown: it really is sad, and people like that scumbag should NEVER be allowed to see the light of day again.

Original post by Jamiesonn
But you can't blame her for being raped.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

She was asking for trouble by not having the money.

It is just common sence for a girl late at night to ensure she has the correct money to make any journey before leaving home. In the same way that a girl leaving home looking like a slag is asking for trouble aswell.

I did also say it was mainly his fault.
Original post by kaypc
you can't blame the driver or passengers, that's true, the only one to blame is the rapist, however the bus driver and passengers will have to live with the fact that they didn't help for the rest of their lives. how could anyone be so greedy not to offer 20p if they had it. jheez!!

Do you always give money to people when they need it? For example, when beggars on the street ask for change, do you always give it to them? I would find that difficult to believe.

Her being raped is solely the fault of the rapist.
Original post by ras90
It really, really isn't. :indiff:
Original post by ras90

It is just common sence for a girl late at night to ensure she has the correct money to make any journey before leaving home. In the same way that a girl leaving home looking like a slag is asking for trouble aswell.

I don't know any bus fare that's 5 pounds, she may have thought she had enough for the bus, I would expect 4.80 to be more than enough to get on the bus.
Reply 16
Bloody extortionate bus fare :/

At the same time, I've seen bus drivers walk straight on in fear of confrontation.
This girl had made a genuine mistake.

Such sad news :sad:
Regardless of knowing if she was going to be raped or not, I would still lend her the money. From now on, I will insha-allah lend it to anyone (male or female).
Original post by King-Panther
Regardless of knowing if she was going to be raped or not, I would still lend her the money. From now on, I will insha-allah lend it to anyone (male or female).

Even if she's ugly?
Original post by ras90

Guess you missed the whole slutwalk debate, huh?