The Student Room Group

Go-karting tips needed.

Hi all,
So, to cut a long story short, im going go-karting with the lads on Thursday & i've had a bet with one of them that i'll get the fastest lap time!
Im not an un-expirenced go-karter nor would i say im expirenced...
However, I was wondering if there are any tips, hints etc of which could give me the edge on everyone else!
Im a fairly light fella' so presuming the karts all have the same suze engine, i'll have an advantage there...
Ive not seen the track, but ive been told it has 11 corners 3 of which are sharp.
Also, the chances are it'll be raining, so any tips on how to cope in the rain would slso be helpful!

Many thanks,
Steve :smile:
Original post by Weeves
Hi all,
So, to cut a long story short, im going go-karting with the lads on Thursday & i've had a bet with one of them that i'll get the fastest lap time!
Im not an un-expirenced go-karter nor would i say im expirenced...
However, I was wondering if there are any tips, hints etc of which could give me the edge on everyone else!
Im a fairly light fella' so presuming the karts all have the same suze engine, i'll have an advantage there...
Ive not seen the track, but ive been told it has 11 corners 3 of which are sharp.
Also, the chances are it'll be raining, so any tips on how to cope in the rain would slso be helpful!

Many thanks,
Steve :smile:

Firstly, your being light should be a big advantage. So even if you can just equal their skill level you should be quicker...

Main simple advice to follow would be to be smooth. Corner speed is where you will get the fastest lap.

I'm assuming you know the basic racing line. If not then read
http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/racing-line.htm#.T8-f8rXN3F8

Other than following the racing line and being smooth there's not much we can teach you over the internet in this time...

Tbh most of the guys that will try racing will be full brakes/full throttle and will lose a lot of time just by not being smooth and not keeping the corner speed so that should help you beat average people...
Reply 2
I was told to do most breaking in a straight line before the corner, then accelerate round the corner. The key to the fastest race lap times will be how fast you can exit the corners

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Nexus One
Reply 3
Original post by Weeves

Buckmore Park?

I go there a lot. Great karts, great track (though could do with re-laying in places!).

Lose as little speed as you can in the corners since go-karts don't accelerate that quickly. If it rains, take slower, tighter lines rather than fast open ones.

Never hit the throttle and brake at the same time unless you fancy facing the wrong way :wink:
Reply 4
In a 4-stroke kart in the dry, the key is smooth steering, but aggressive acceleration and braking. You are rarely braking long enough to spin out of control by braking too hard, and you don't have to worry about the engine bogging down like you do with a 2-stroke, so full throttle can be applied almost instantly.

Coming into a tight corner, you want to jab the brakes momentarily (and no longer), and then immediately reapply the power, taking a late apex to maximise your speed on the next straight. In a smoother corner, have confidence in going flat out, because you really have to push these karts hard before they start to let go.

In the wet, as a general rule, you want to try and avoid the normal racing line where possible, as this will be heavily rubbered in, and very slippery. Where and when you brake depends on conditions on that specific corner, but you may be surprised just how little grip there is in some areas, so be careful. Try to turn in later than usual, using full lock whilst on the grippy outside of the corner. Then make your corner exit as straight as possible - trying to steer the kart under acceleration will make the rear wheels spin up, slowing you down. As fun as it may be, resist the temptation to drift in the wet, because it's a really slow way of getting round the track.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
Hi all again,

So, I've been! & Some of the tips/hints you guys gave me worked a treat, I got the fastest lap time out of my group of lads, however, in the overall group on the track I came 5th (out of 17)! Not bad...
Really enjoyed it!

Cheers once again,
Steve
Reply 6
It's as scary and cramped as crap.

And I'm not exactly big.

The accelerator and brake pedals are too close together, meaning when you want to press a pedal and turn a corner, it's a farce.

I had a massive crash going full speed round a massive bend, just because of that. Scary as anything.
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum

The accelerator and brake pedals are too close together, meaning when you want to press a pedal and turn a corner, it's a farce.

But you've got the whole front panel between the pedals :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest