The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Product Design June exam

hey guys, I havent found a product design thread anywhere on tsr...so I thought it would be nice if I made one :smile: For anyone that has the A2 theory exam ...we could ask eachother questions about the text book ^.^ Ive done this exam before as I did product design A2 in year 12 and I totally under-estimated it. Its alot different from AS.

Could someone ask me questions from the text book...I know actual exam questions are too long to ask and answer on tsr, but questions about the contents of the book will be nice. Heres a question for you guys to start of :biggrin:!

What does technlnology push? :smile: mean.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ds4143
hey guys, I havent found a product design thread anywhere on tsr...so I thought it would be nice if I made one :smile: For anyone that has the A2 theory exam ...we could ask eachother questions about the text book ^.^ Ive done this exam before as I did product design A2 in year 12 and I totally under-estimated it. Its alot different from AS.

Could someone ask me questions from the text book...I know actual exam questions are too long to ask and answer on tsr, but questions about the contents of the book will be nice. Heres a question for you guys to start of :biggrin:!

What does technlnology push? :smile: mean.

Technology push is when a product is either redesigned, or a new product is invented due to breakthroughs is new technology, (either related to materials or new manufacturing techniques, etc)

GOT A HARD QUESTION - Name some points on how ergonomics and anthropometrics of a piece of packaging has influenced how its made????
Reply 2
Original post by SJS101
Technology push is when a product is either redesigned, or a new product is invented due to breakthroughs is new technology, (either related to materials or new manufacturing techniques, etc)

GOT A HARD QUESTION - Name some points on how ergonomics and anthropometrics of a piece of packaging has influenced how its made????

Heyy Correct :biggrin:

Mm are you sure you mean packaging and not product :redface: ??

Reply 3
Yes i mean packaging, hence its HARD!

My tech teacher made this question up as they believe packaging will come up, (it came up on the GCSE AND AS paper)

.... I struggled with it tbh :smile: its likes super hard and kinda stupid.....

How about this...?

Explain how nanotechnology has influenced the design of a certain product, and name the benefits of using nanotechnology?
Reply 4
Original post by SJS101

My tech teacher made this question up as they believe packaging will come up, (it came up on the GCSE AND AS paper)

How about this...?

Explain how nanotechnology has influenced the design of a certain product, and name the benefits of using nanotechnology?

So, you are asking to name a few points on how ergonomics and anthropometrics of a packaging have influenced how it is made?

Well, first of all is it only one product that we're thinking of, or is it just many points about many different products?

I'm thinking of aspects such as the use with which it is to open the packaging (thinking of that vaccum formed packaging, that's really hard to pull apart)

Damn... I'm really trying to think of other things but it's so hard. Do you have an answer at all?

I will give you one of mine as well:
Name one way for a designer to communicate his ideas and how it can be applied in the design/manufacturing process.
Reply 5
Original post by qqprzem
So, you are asking to name a few points on how ergonomics and anthropometrics of a packaging have influenced how it is made?

Well, first of all is it only one product that we're thinking of, or is it just many points about many different products?

I'm thinking of aspects such as the use with which it is to open the packaging (thinking of that vaccum formed packaging, that's really hard to pull apart)

Damn... I'm really trying to think of other things but it's so hard. Do you have an answer at all?

I will give you one of mine as well:
Name one way for a designer to communicate his ideas and how it can be applied in the design/manufacturing process.

Heyy, Hope you revision is going well. I havent revised at all, been doing maths, further maths and physics instead. I am hoping the questions just suit my way oof thinking lol.

Anyway one way a designer could communicate his ideas is by by free hand sketches, to generate some ideas. A scanner could be used to scan the images (specifically patterns) that needed to be used onto CAD, and then onto the products drawings. Then by linking it to a machine (CAM), the product could be made????

OR ARE YOU LOOKING FOR......

They could communicate their ideas via a flow chart. This could be used in the manufacturing process to produce a production plan giving step by step instructions.

Reply ASAP, i think asking each other questions could really help?

Answer my nanotechnology one??? (in previous post)
Reply 6
I haven't been revising for my other subjects, I need this one to get onto a Foundation course in college.

With the answers you gave me, I was definately looking for an answer in the style of the second one. You know, giving a way of communicating ideas, and then describing what it is used for and how how it can be applied within manufacture, for example:
A CAD Rendering/drawing, with software such as, 3D Studio Max or Google SketchUp is a quick and efficient method of explaining the final outcome of the product. It does not require any materials to produce, and the files can be quickly amended and sent around to the client. It also allows the designer to experiment with different textures and aesthetic solutions.

I always try and give numerous examples of either the package used or the product that they'd be used within (for example, car manufacture etc.) Everything is on page 158 in the AQA book.

The nanotechnology, sorry I completely omitted that question.
Let me have a go here.

Nanotechnology is the manipulation of individual atoms to create useful materials, systems or devices. A good example of nanotechnology use in products are Toyota. The car manufacturer uses nanocomposites in the manufacture of the car bumpers, which makes them 60% lighter and 100% resistance to denting. This also has benefits for the environment, as lighter cars will not consume as much fuel and therefore produce less greenhouse gasses.

Yeah, this was pretty much copied out of the book. Good question though, you made me look this up, so I'll remember it more.

My question now is:
Look at the Memphis Super Lamp (google it), and explain in what ways has Post Modernism influenced it's design. Make reference to method, function, aesthetics etc.

I know it's a slightly longer question, but just outline the factors. I'm doing the same question now and thought that you might as well try it :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by SJS101

How about this...?

Ooohh, what is the answer ?

Nanotechnology is the manipulation and rearrangement of individual atoms to make useful materials and devices. This kind of technology allows scientists and engineers to design on a molecular level, changing and improving typical properties such as stiffness, flame resistance or electrical conductivity.

How was that? I know its short but i had no idea hw to answer it lol!

Reply 8
Original post by qqprzem
I haven't been revising for my other subjects, I need this one to get onto a Foundation course in college.

With the answers you gave me, I was definately looking for an answer in the style of the second one. You know, giving a way of communicating ideas, and then describing what it is used for and how how it can be applied within manufacture, for example:
A CAD Rendering/drawing, with software such as, 3D Studio Max or Google SketchUp is a quick and efficient method of explaining the final outcome of the product. It does not require any materials to produce, and the files can be quickly amended and sent around to the client. It also allows the designer to experiment with different textures and aesthetic solutions.

I always try and give numerous examples of either the package used or the product that they'd be used within (for example, car manufacture etc.) Everything is on page 158 in the AQA book.

The nanotechnology, sorry I completely omitted that question.
Let me have a go here.

Nanotechnology is the manipulation of individual atoms to create useful materials, systems or devices. A good example of nanotechnology use in products are Toyota. The car manufacturer uses nanocomposites in the manufacture of the car bumpers, which makes them 60% lighter and 100% resistance to denting. This also has benefits for the environment, as lighter cars will not consume as much fuel and therefore produce less greenhouse gasses.

Yeah, this was pretty much copied out of the book. Good question though, you made me look this up, so I'll remember it more.

My question now is:
Look at the Memphis Super Lamp (google it), and explain in what ways has Post Modernism influenced it's design. Make reference to method, function, aesthetics etc.

I know it's a slightly longer question, but just outline the factors. I'm doing the same question now and thought that you might as well try it :wink:

Memphis style design.
Opposes form follows function
It has light pointing in all directions, it would be an uncomfortable lamp.Has no light shade cover
It is more like a design peice
Its brightly coloured
Has more of a visual impact than its use
Its set on wheels, so not very stable for a table lamp..

Not sure what else to right noww

Reply 9
Original post by ds4143
Memphis style design.
Opposes form follows function
It has light pointing in all directions, it would be an uncomfortable lamp.Has no light shade cover
It is more like a design peice
Its brightly coloured
Has more of a visual impact than its use
Its set on wheels, so not very stable for a table lamp..

Not sure what else to right noww

It looks like all you are gonna do better than me on the exam, i have not revised at all lol!

So far i have 299 UMS out of 300 :smile:

99 on AS coursework, 100 on AS exam, 100 on A2 coursework, hoping for 80 on A2 exam for A* but its gonna be hard! If you guys could just post some questions and your full answers onto here it would really help :smile: I will take them as model answers lol :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by SJS101
It looks like all you are gonna do better than me on the exam, i have not revised at all lol!

So far i have 299 UMS out of 300 :smile:

99 on AS coursework, 100 on AS exam, 100 on A2 coursework, hoping for 80 on A2 exam for A* but its gonna be hard! If you guys could just post some questions and your full answers onto here it would really help :smile: I will take them as model answers lol :smile:

100 on cwk?! Wahey you done good :smile:! What did you make??

And oh my gosh, im praying I atleast get a dang A in this exam...last year I did not do well AT ALL! Lol but i will try type some stuff up for you tonight, because im going to be doing some exam questions :smile:

Im not very good at essay questios so I need as much practice as I can!!

Btw...im not sure if your teacher has told you this but..you need to know specific products...like for ergonomics, i researched up on dyson Nd the bic biro...iconic design, apple...inclusive design, velcro...etc

Researching products for each topic helps alot!

Reply 11
Yeah, researching specific products definately helps.
The AQA book (as you can see I use it as the DT bible) has loads of examiner tips which always go on about knowing specific examples.

When I'm revising questions I will type them up in here instead of just word or something and post them up. We can always mark each other and all that malarkey.

I don't know. Im a bit worried because I ****ed up in my coursework and only got a C... :frown: I want a B in the end. My UMS won't be good enough even if I get an A* in the exam, I'll be 9 short.. :frown: THat's life I guess though...
Reply 12
Original post by qqprzem
Yeah, researching specific products definately helps.
The AQA book (as you can see I use it as the DT bible) has loads of examiner tips which always go on about knowing specific examples.

When I'm revising questions I will type them up in here instead of just word or something and post them up. We can always mark each other and all that malarkey.

I don't know. Im a bit worried because I ****ed up in my coursework and only got a C... :frown: I want a B in the end. My UMS won't be good enough even if I get an A* in the exam, I'll be 9 short.. :frown: THat's life I guess though...

Your so right, the examiner tips help alot! And yup it would be nice to see other peoples work!

Aw!.dont let that put you off! you just gotta try the best you can to get the best possible in the theory...and whatever you get atleast you know you tried and that was the best possible grade you yourself could get!

Oh just something that you may already, or not already know...draw diagrams anywhere you can even if the question doesnt ask for it. :smile: just thought id mention that for anyone thats reading this :biggrin:

What did you make in your coursework??

Reply 13
Need 80 in this
Reply 14
Original post by exam2k10
Need 80 in this

Good luck :smile:

Reply 15
I scored 25/28 for one of the practice essays.

TBF, you need to know good examples/case studies in order to do well. You also need a good understanding of the subject itself. I made good notes for this over the Easter break and I haven't really gone over them yet.

Make sure you know about the legislation and regulation such as the 'Ecolabel' and 'COSSH'.

This is what I feel may come up. Feel free to add.

Manufacturing systems - May include stuff about Robotics, AGV, FMS, Global Manufacturing, QRM, Kanbans etc

Design Methods - May include the roles of the design process, as well as other processes

Research - THEY HAVE NOT ASKED THIS BEFORE, AS FAR AS I AM AWARE. MAKE SURE YOU GO OVER THIS. CHECK OUT 'ETHNOGRAPHY'. ITS A GOOD RESEARCH TECHNIQUE :biggrin:, THAT YOU CAN ADD TO YOUR ANSWER

Patents - THEY HAVE NOT ASKED THIS BEFORE, AS FAR AS I AM AWARE. MAKE SURE YOU GO OVER THIS.

Testing Methods - THEY HAVE NOT ASKED THIS BEFORE, AS FAR AS I AM AWARE. MAKE SURE YOU GO OVER THIS.

Life Cycle Of A Product

Advancements In Technology - THEY HAVE NOT ASKED THIS BEFORE, AS FAR AS I AM AWARE. MAKE SURE YOU GO OVER THIS.

You still have time to go over this stuff. Im going to spend three hours on technology today and tomorrow, and then on Tuesday evening, Im going to go over all the case studies.
Reply 16
Hi peopleeee :smile: Done a bit of revision today. Went over my notes i wrote ages ago (basically main points from book) and im feeling much better. Gonna basically spend most of tuesday (about 7 hours doing practise questions) :smile:

THanks for offering to help btw, really appreciate it. I will get my A* hopefully :P

Btw are you sure they ask you about research techniques? I have never heard of ETHNOGRAPHY?????

Also apart from DYSON, IPAD/IPHONE, MINI, what else have you talked about in regards to good/iconic design?

Also what products other than a phone or shower/bath are good to change so they are suited to the disabled???

Thankssss
Reply 17
****, I've missed out a lot. I'll answer all the comments in chronological order.
So...

In my coursework I made a desk tidy with a feature to organise memory sticks. It was aimed (initially) at designers who use loads of electronic data, but then I also added some stuff about teachers needing the organisation skills with students submitting stuff electronically on USB and stuff.
To be fair, I really wasn't passionate about the project, I thought of it because I HAD TO, as time was closing in and all that. I got loads of other cool ideas that I would have preferred to have done, but it was too late I guess.
Again, as an experience, it has been invaluable.

The only thing that is keeping me going is the fact that I only need a D in this to be able to go onto my college course next year. (Foundation Art and Design)

@Exam2k10
Thank you so much for that list, I was really struggling with topics to revise, now that I have a starting point, I feel a little more comfortable.
I think I'm good with my writing skills, as I do English A-level as well, so I'll be able to hit the higher marks of the intermediate band.

The diagrams are also very good too, after all, we as designers use schematics to portray our ideas most effectively so examiners like to see it. However, don't spend too much time drawing them and shading and all that, it's a waste of time. I usually square off where the diagram should go and carry on writing. When I am finished I quickly sketch the diagrams into the left out squares.

Ethnography -a branch of anthropology dealing with the scientific description of individual cultures. <-- that's the dictionary definition. I'm sure the AQA book has the term down in the index.
As you can see, the AQA book should be used by you all as THE BIBLE OF DT. I mean, they will not ask you anything that is not at least mentioned in that book.

Iconic design that I can think of are more historical things:
-The memphis furniture, bookcase, superlamp etc. (Ettore Sostass)
-The Stark Juicer
-The London Underground Map
-Loads of graphical based designs, like the campbell soups, or the Coca-Cola logo.

I would also use design movements as iconic, that is memphis, bauhaus, art deco... You know, the lot.

Products adaptable to the disabled:
-Entrances
-Cars
-Chairs
-Computers
-Staircases
-Basically anything that involves anthopometrics can be twisted to be for disabled, you just need to think of things that a disabled person might struggle with. Think of disabilities, such as speech impairment, hearing aid, arthiritis...

This is just me thinking of the top of my head, look in the book for specifics. Also, Uncle Google is a great help!

Sorry to write so much! I just want to make sure I answer everyone.
Peace.
Reply 18
Original post by qqprzem
****, I've missed out a lot. I'll answer all the comments in chronological order.
So...

In my coursework I made a desk tidy with a feature to organise memory sticks. It was aimed (initially) at designers who use loads of electronic data, but then I also added some stuff about teachers needing the organisation skills with students submitting stuff electronically on USB and stuff.
To be fair, I really wasn't passionate about the project, I thought of it because I HAD TO, as time was closing in and all that. I got loads of other cool ideas that I would have preferred to have done, but it was too late I guess.
Again, as an experience, it has been invaluable.

The only thing that is keeping me going is the fact that I only need a D in this to be able to go onto my college course next year. (Foundation Art and Design)

@Exam2k10
Thank you so much for that list, I was really struggling with topics to revise, now that I have a starting point, I feel a little more comfortable.
I think I'm good with my writing skills, as I do English A-level as well, so I'll be able to hit the higher marks of the intermediate band.

The diagrams are also very good too, after all, we as designers use schematics to portray our ideas most effectively so examiners like to see it. However, don't spend too much time drawing them and shading and all that, it's a waste of time. I usually square off where the diagram should go and carry on writing. When I am finished I quickly sketch the diagrams into the left out squares.

Ethnography -a branch of anthropology dealing with the scientific description of individual cultures. <-- that's the dictionary definition. I'm sure the AQA book has the term down in the index.
As you can see, the AQA book should be used by you all as THE BIBLE OF DT. I mean, they will not ask you anything that is not at least mentioned in that book.

Iconic design that I can think of are more historical things:
-The memphis furniture, bookcase, superlamp etc. (Ettore Sostass)
-The Stark Juicer
-The London Underground Map
-Loads of graphical based designs, like the campbell soups, or the Coca-Cola logo.

I would also use design movements as iconic, that is memphis, bauhaus, art deco... You know, the lot.

Products adaptable to the disabled:
-Entrances
-Cars
-Chairs
-Computers
-Staircases
-Basically anything that involves anthopometrics can be twisted to be for disabled, you just need to think of things that a disabled person might struggle with. Think of disabilities, such as speech impairment, hearing aid, arthiritis...

This is just me thinking of the top of my head, look in the book for specifics. Also, Uncle Google is a great help!

Sorry to write so much! I just want to make sure I answer everyone.
Peace.

+1 REP.

Im just happy that you appreciate my list :biggrin:.

I feel that the case studies are really good in the book.

Im going to be doing 6 hours of product design on Tuesday and about 3 on Wednesday just before the exam. Thats what I like about the afternoon exams, the fact that you can sleep late and wake up a bit late and really prepare yourself before walking into that exam hall
Reply 19
I HATE cramming my revision like that. I like short bursts on my whiteboard in my room, and then rest, then back to it.

Also, Don't over do it right before the exam, you want to go in there with a fresh rested mind. You know, have a breakfast and all that bull****!

Right. erm, next question, just for fun:
Describe the life-cycle of a product of your choice.

Peace

Quick Reply

Latest