Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety Problems

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just posting on the off chance someone else might share this complaint, or be able to offer advice!

I've just turned 20 and currently at uni. I have always suffered with anxiety in some form or another, and in me it presents itself in an extreme feeling of nausea to the extent where I can be absolutely convinced I will throw up. As I've got older, my anxiety has got progressively worse. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that makes me so anxious, I can only guess that it's the fear of actually being sick whilst in front of other people (ie a public place). Eating out in restaurants is the biggest one for me. When the food arrives I'll just feel sick and be unable to eat it. I can try to relax myself by breathing more slowly and deeply, which helps sometimes, but it's always a conscious effort. I can't explain why I feel like this - I've never been sick in a restaurant, and until recently I have been able to eat in restaurants with no trouble at all. Other things which until recently haven't bothered me now make me feel nauseous - I had to take a train journey today to attend a summer class at uni (a journey which I've made almost everyday for two years until about a month ago) and I felt terrible all the way there!

Anyone else suffer the same?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw0592)
    Hi,

Just posting on the off chance someone else might share this complaint, or be able to offer advice!

I've just turned 20 and currently at uni. I have always suffered with anxiety in some form or another, and in me it presents itself in an extreme feeling of nausea to the extent where I can be absolutely convinced I will throw up. As I've got older, my anxiety has got progressively worse. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that makes me so anxious, I can only guess that it's the fear of actually being sick whilst in front of other people (ie a public place). Eating out in restaurants is the biggest one for me. When the food arrives I'll just feel sick and be unable to eat it. I can try to relax myself by breathing more slowly and deeply, which helps sometimes, but it's always a conscious effort. I can't explain why I feel like this - I've never been sick in a restaurant, and until recently I have been able to eat in restaurants with no trouble at all. Other things which until recently haven't bothered me now make me feel nauseous - I had to take a train journey today to attend a summer class at uni (a journey which I've made almost everyday for two years until about a month ago) and I felt terrible all the way there!

Anyone else suffer the same?
    I would recommend reading 'Fear-the friend of exceptional people' by Geoff Thompson. The only way to overcome your fears is to confront them in what psychiatrists term 'exposure therapy.'

I joined a boxing club recently and I felt a lot of fear and anxiety going there. As soon as I walked through the door, I wanted to walk straight back out again but I kept myself there. I still feel the fear when I go now but I know the only way to overcome fear is to stick with it and battle through the anxiety.

The bad news is it's very very difficult when you first try doing it and the good news is that it gets easier with time and experience. The more you do something, the better you get at it. I had a fear of using the telephone at one time in my life but I use the phone every single day now in work and I've even done cold calling. After a while, you develop the courage to deal with it.

If you want to battle fear and anxiety, do your research. Read books on overcoming fear and exposure therapy and adrenaline. Understand what is happening to your body so you can recognise the symptoms when they arrive. Watch youtube videos of people overcoming their fears for inspiration.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.