The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Our food is contaminated with halal food

Mod edit: Thread has gone off-topic and is now closed.

How can we do something about this, because I find it disgusting. A very large proportion of the food we buy has halal meat in it, completely unlabelled. Most New Zealand lamb sold in the UK is now, apparently, halal, and so is KFC. Many other outlets are following suit, without even telling us. Surely, if it's ok to tell customers that something is definitely halal, we should also be informed when something definitely isn't, because I for one don't want to eat anything that's been deliberately slaughtered in the cruellest way imaginable by letting it bleed to death while still conscious.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dont eat meat :biggrin:
Reply 2
who cares? it doesnt effect the taste or anything else for that matter to do with it ? :s-smilie:

why is this post so controvertial?:s
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DawnRaider

I like meat, but I want to know where it has come from.
Reply 4
Original post by cl_steele
who cares? it doesnt effect the taste or anything else for that matter to do with it ? :s-smilie:

It's needlessly cruel and it does affect the taste, too, since halal meat has had all the blood drained out while the animal was still alive and conscious.
Reply 5
Original post by Aethra
It's needlessly cruel and it does affect the taste, too, since halal meat has had all the blood drained out while the animal was still alive and conscious.

While? Surely he died quickly.
Reply 6
Im fairly sure that Halal meat is killed in a very humane way.
If I can remember correctly, the animal is killed so the spinal cord is cut first. That means it feels no pain because all connections to the brain are cut off. I'm sure most modern places would also do that with the non-halal common practice of electrocuting the animal too.

But I digress, if you're so fussed just ask before you buy.
Reply 7
Did you run out of topics to criticise Islam about or what?

And regrading the taste, I go to KFC with my friends all the time, and not once has any of them mentioned that there was any difference in the taste of Halal and Non-Halal Chicken.
Do you have a link or something saying this?

Ritually/religiously prepared meat is against my religion
Reply 9
Original post by Aethra

the only difference is halal slaughtered animals arent stunned, which involved shooting them in the head with a bolt gun, neither are humane and as i said it makes no difference to be quite honest.
doesn't make much a difference. The HFA states an animal can be "stunned to stun" just not "stunned to kill". Difference being classically we might bolt gun a cow, even if we didn't slit its throat, the cows brain would have been destroyed by the bolt gun. If a cow is electrocuted or made unconscious by another method which the cow could hypothetically come back round from, then slitting the throat after making it unconscious in this way is still Halal, according to the UK HFA(halal food authority), not all Muslims agree with their rulings, but that's the way it is and they have no choice in the matter as there no Islamic Halal abattoirs in this country and all UK abattoirs require animals to be stunned before being stuck.
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh please. If you care so much about the pain and suffering an animal goes through during it's death, become a vegetarian.
Reply 12
o_O
Reply 13
Original post by joey11223
doesn't make much a difference. The HFA states an animal can be "stunned to stun" just not "stunned to kill". Difference being classically we might bolt gun a cow, even if we didn't slit its throat, the cows brain would have been destroyed by the bolt gun. If a cow is electrocuted or made unconscious by another method which the cow could hypothetically come back round from, then slitting the throat after making it unconscious in this way is still Halal, according to the UK HFA(halal food authority), not all Muslims agree with their rulings, but that's the way it is and they have no choice in the matter as there no Islamic Halal abattoirs in this country and all UK abattoirs require animals to be stunned before being stuck.

Not all UK abattoirs require animals to be stunned, you got HMC which all Muslims are happy to use.......I do agree with how people perceive HFA.....it's cos its a new idea backed up by not so reputable "scholars" hence why not all Muslims agree, these days Muslim's actually find out who certifies these halal places before they eat.
Reply 14
Original post by SweetsAndSugar
Oh please. If you care so much about the pain and suffering an animal goes through during it's death, become a vegetarian.

Why should I? Why should I not instead be confident of buying something that hasn't been slaughtered in this barbaric manner?
Reply 15
Let me get this right.... ritually prepared meat is unacceptable to you, because of the way it's killed.. but battery farmed animals who are MADE for slaughter is perfectly fine because they die quickly? What?
Ultimately you're eating an animal which has been slaughtered for your own dietary pleasure.
I'm not a Muslim now, I'm an Atheist, but I don't really care if my meat is halal or non-halal.
Reply 17
It is irksome. I'd rather anything Halal be labelled nice and clearly as I don't want to be buying it.

ON a few grounds, humane reasons, my objection to ritualistic slaughter and the fact I don't really want my money going to Islamic organisations without me knowing.

Neggers gun' Neg
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DawnRaider

That's actually what I do now. I was so sick of being concerned with how animals are slaughtered, I just gave it all up. Now I just eat what I need/have to, fish and eggs.
Whenever I ate meat I always felt impure, not knowing where the hell the animals has been and what they've eaten. I'm happier now, veggies all the way :]
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aethra
Why should I? Why should I not instead be confident of buying something that hasn't been slaughtered in this barbaric manner?

What sources do you have to back up the claim that it's barbaric?

Latest

Trending

Trending