The Student Room Group

Medicine/Science courses at Cambridge

I am currently sitting my AS levels and want to apply to Cambridge at the end of this year. I am currently unsure whether or not to apply to do medicine or a more general science course such as Biological Natural Sciences. The first 3 years of medicine at Cambridge are very scientific and so I was wondering whether if, after 3 years of medicine, I decided that this was not what I wanted to do whether I would be able to pull out of medicine and still end up with a degree in something else. Does anybody know?
Reply 1
Why do you want to study medicine?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i
Reply 2
Original post by _typo_
I am currently sitting my AS levels and want to apply to Cambridge at the end of this year. I am currently unsure whether or not to apply to do medicine or a more general science course such as Biological Natural Sciences. The first 3 years of medicine at Cambridge are very scientific and so I was wondering whether if, after 3 years of medicine, I decided that this was not what I wanted to do whether I would be able to pull out of medicine and still end up with a degree in something else. Does anybody know?

Cambridge is a compulsory 6 year course - in your third year you can study whatever you want as an intercalated degree - even law. You could drop out after doing this, but remember Cambridge medicine is MUCH harder to get an offer for than Nat Sci. (need amazing BMAT, no automatic pooling, 6 : 1 for med whereas 3.5 : 1 for natsci, interviews can involve the whole normal medicine interview stuff (ethics, doctor skills, doctor stuff etc, personality traits, work experience etc), as well as having another normal science interview), generally need a bit higher grades as its so competitive.
Reply 3
If you don't intend to do medicine long-term, don't apply for medicine. It is true that after 3 years you can leave Cambridge with a BA and go off to do whatever you like (I know one or two people who've done this) but if you're more interested in science than actually practising medicine, the natsci course is much more flexible and will allow you to study some subjects in more depth than you'll get in medicine.
Reply 4
Thank you this has been helpful. I think I have been persuaded by the people around me that medicine is something to aim for but, in reality, I am actually far more interested in the science, particularly chemistry. My latest thoughts are therefore to go for Natsci or chemistry and I can always to a post grad medicine degree if I change my mind.
Reply 5
Original post by _typo_
Thank you this has been helpful. I think I have been persuaded by the people around me that medicine is something to aim for but, in reality, I am actually far more interested in the science, particularly chemistry. My latest thoughts are therefore to go for Natsci or chemistry and I can always to a post grad medicine degree if I change my mind.

Woo! Theo!

This isn't a trigger reaction to the fact you seem convinced that you "failed" biology?
Reply 6
Original post by Oglogski
Woo! Theo!

This isn't a trigger reaction to the fact you seem convinced that you "failed" biology?

No Jan, although I'm sure I've dropped quite a few UMS :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by _typo_
No Jan, although I'm sure I've dropped quite a few UMS :frown:

I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised come results day. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 117r
I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised come results day. :smile:

Somehow, with TC, I doubt it. Unless he doesn't drop a single UMS
Reply 9
Original post by Oglogski
Somehow, with TC, I doubt it. Unless he doesn't drop a single UMS