The Student Room Group

Law Degree or GDL

Basically what the title says!

I am predicted AAB/ABB at A-level. More than likely going to be ABB i think. These aren't the best grades to start off with for law, trust me i know.

So i have been looking to studying criminology. A very interesting subject, which i have always been interested in. Durham or LSE were my two top unis i was looking at.

After doing this I plan to do a GDL (Graduate diploma in law) followed by of course an LPC (Legal practice course). Obviously this route is more expensive, but i have asked some of my parents legal friends, two of them work for Freshfields, and they say that most big law firms will pay for non-law graduates to take these courses, after signing the trainee contract.

Finances aside, do you think this is the best option for me? Is it always better to do a degree in law? Or does the GDL route offer more academic diversity?

I personally don't think there is any point in me doing a law degree, as with the grades i am expecting, i won't be doing it at a very reputable university.

Anyway, any comments and help is much welcomed. Thanks guys!
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The general advice is that if you are 100% on going into law, then you should do the traditional law degree and then whatever from there. However in your case it might be beneficial to go via the GDL. One thing i would say is that you probably shouldn't rely upon a company in the future going to fund you through as i presume the chances of this happening are fairly low unless you are excellent. :smile:
Original post by Anon ._.
The general advice is that if you are 100% on going into law, then you should do the traditional law degree and then whatever from there. However in your case it might be beneficial to go via the GDL. One thing i would say is that you probably shouldn't rely upon a company in the future going to fund you through as i presume the chances of this happening are fairly low unless you are excellent. :smile:

Oh but see the thing is, I am excellent!

Hahaha, joke of course. But thank you :smile:
Original post by charlie_perkins
Basically what the title says!

I am predicted AAB/ABB at A-level. More than likely going to be ABB i think. These aren't the best grades to start off with for law, trust me i know.

So i have been looking to studying criminology. A very interesting subject, which i have always been interested in. Durham or LSE were my two top unis i was looking at.

After doing this I plan to do a GDL (Graduate diploma in law) followed by of course an LPC (Legal practice course). Obviously this route is more expensive, but i have asked some of my parents legal friends, two of them work for Freshfields, and they say that most big law firms will pay for non-law graduates to take these courses, after signing the trainee contract.

Finances aside, do you think this is the best option for me? Is it always better to do a degree in law? Or does the GDL route offer more academic diversity?

I personally don't think there is any point in me doing a law degree, as with the grades i am expecting, i won't be doing it at a very reputable university.

Anyway, any comments and help is much welcomed. Thanks guys!
:smile:

As a general policy, the law route is better if you know from the outset you want a legal career. In your position, though, I would probably do something similar to yourself. Durham/LSE non-law will look good - firms target these universities on the strength of their law schools.

What will probably be more significant is experience. If I were you, I would utilise my contacts to the greatest extent possible to try to get work experience at Freshfields. That will improve your chances of success in TC applications dramatically.
Original post by TurboCretin
As a general policy, the law route is better if you know from the outset you want a legal career. In your position, though, I would probably do something similar to yourself. Durham/LSE non-law will look good - firms target these universities on the strength of their law schools.

What will probably be more significant is experience. If I were you, I would utilise my contacts to the greatest extent possible to try to get work experience at Freshfields. That will improve your chances of success in TC applications dramatically.

GREAT. Yeah, I knew that if I was going down the non-law route, I'd 100% need an academically fantastic university.

I will indeed, my sisters friend works for Linklaters too, and I have a whole year to play with.

Thank you very much.
GREAT. Yeah, I knew that if I was going down the non-law route, I'd 100% need an academically fantastic university.

I will indeed, my sisters friend works for Linklaters too, and I have a whole year to play with.

Thank you very much.

Word of warning: a lot of the top firms use filters to thin the herd when it comes to application time. AAB is usually the cut-off. Many firms don't do this, but if you do get ABB certain firms (MC firms, conspicuously) will simply be off-limits due to the mechanistic nature of the process. So while you would be well-advised to try to get some work experience at these firms, unless there is some back door I'm unaware of, you will not get a TC there.
From what I've been told from firms and events (I'm on a program called pathwaystolaw at LSE) it is 50/50 Law degree and non-law degree trainees they now see a Law degree as just a very good degree and not a guarantee into the law.

I personal plan to do the GDL route as I want do a History degree and when I went to Eversheds for work experience, there were trainee who had studied History, even Psychology and Philosophy or joint law degrees in equal amount to those who had study just law, the main thing they said is work experience and getting a good first degree for Eversheds it was 2:2 and above but somewhere like Freshfield 2:1 and above is the standard (I think), but yeah I say go for it, if one thing I learnt is there are many path-ways-to law :smile:
The general consensus is that you are better off getting a good degree from a good university then converting, if you cannot be sure that you will get a good law degree from a good university. So, if you feel you would do better on a criminology course at Durham or LSE then you'd be better off doing this. Saying that if you feel you might do well on a law degree you need to carefully consider doing the GDL at all, it's a concentrated, intense course of the 7 core law modules in one year that us law students take 3 years to study. In other words, the GDL is VERY hard and often undervalued by future employers in comparison to the amount of hard work and effort you will need to commit to in order to do well in it. You could always apply for maybe 3 law degrees and 2 criminology? I'm sure you could work a personal statement to suit both and perhaps have a law offer of AAB first and a criminology offer of ABB second.
Original post by infairverona
The general consensus is that you are better off getting a good degree from a good university then converting, if you cannot be sure that you will get a good law degree from a good university. So, if you feel you would do better on a criminology course at Durham or LSE then you'd be better off doing this. Saying that if you feel you might do well on a law degree you need to carefully consider doing the GDL at all, it's a concentrated, intense course of the 7 core law modules in one year that us law students take 3 years to study. In other words, the GDL is VERY hard and often undervalued by future employers in comparison to the amount of hard work and effort you will need to commit to in order to do well in it. You could always apply for maybe 3 law degrees and 2 criminology? I'm sure you could work a personal statement to suit both and perhaps have a law offer of AAB first and a criminology offer of ABB second.

Concentrated it may be, but only about half of the modules you'd do on a law degree constitute the fundamental elements of legal knowledge. And you don't study the law on the GDL to quite the same depth as on a law degree. So the reality is that you're doing about 12 months' worth of work in about 8, and to a slightly shallower standard. The difficulty comes with getting to grips with a diverse range of topics quickly and simultaneously.
Reply 9

True the GDL is apparently a tough year, but remember there's no big pressure to do anything other than pass (though obviously you'd do the best you can) with TC secured based on your degree results, whereas us law students need to get a 2:1 or better.
Original post by TurboCretin
Concentrated it may be, but only about half of the modules you'd do on a law degree constitute the fundamental elements of legal knowledge. And you don't study the law on the GDL to quite the same depth as on a law degree. So the reality is that you're doing about 12 months' worth of work in about 8, and to a slightly shallower standard. The difficulty comes with getting to grips with a diverse range of topics quickly and simultaneously.

Oh I know it's half the modules, but for example this year I studied criminal, contract, public and also one called legal system and reasoning that my uni made up haha and that was extremely hard just doing 4, let alone 7 real modules (the legal system one doesn't even count towards the degree and was 50% coursework /a moot).

Original post by roh
True the GDL is apparently a tough year, but remember there's no big pressure to do anything other than pass (though obviously you'd do the best you can) with TC secured based on your degree results, whereas us law students need to get a 2:1 or better.

I agree but I feel you'd be at a disadvantage as a "pass" GDL student against a 2:1 law student for any given job so you still need to do very well on the GDL to compete. Well for the top firms anyway.
Reply 11

I agree but I feel you'd be at a disadvantage as a "pass" GDL student against a 2:1 law student for any given job so you still need to do very well on the GDL to compete. Well for the top firms anyway.

Oh yeah, if you haven't got a TC already you need to get good grades, but if you're already sat on a MC TC or similar there's not as pressure, and by the time you are in competition again (NQ jobs) I imagine you're going to be judged largely on your actual work as a trainee.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by roh
Oh yeah, if you haven't got a TC already you need to get good grades, but if your already sat on a MC TC or similar there's not as pressure, and by the time you are in competition again (NQ jobs) I imagine you're going to be judged largely on your actual work as a trainee.

Oh yes of course. But I would imagine it's quite hard to get a TC as a non-law undergrad, you'd have to do an immense amount of work experience and justify why you didn't take a law degree first seeing as one of the main things they look for is a commitment to a law career. It's hard enough if you HAVE done a law degree let alone if you haven't haha. Which uni do you go to? :smile:
Reply 13
Oh yes of course. But I would imagine it's quite hard to get a TC as a non-law undergrad, you'd have to do an immense amount of work experience and justify why you didn't take a law degree first seeing as one of the main things they look for is a commitment to a law career. It's hard enough if you HAVE done a law degree let alone if you haven't haha. Which uni do you go to? :smile:

Depends, if you can prove commitment (and that almost definitely does put more demands on work experience) then I'd guess it's an even playing field, and there's more chance they have a 2:1 given the stats. I think it may only apply to larger firms for whom funding the GDL isn't a major issue, smaller regional firms who do fund the LPC might expect you to be that bit more special to justify the extra outlay of the GDL.

I'm at Leicester.

Granted it is tough to get a TC, especially within the MC. From what i have been told though from the Freshfields employees, its roughly 50% law degree 50% non-law degree. They often like diversity it offers them within the company. Having half of your trainees having a degree level knowledge of a completely different subject.

According to them, most of what they know now, is learnt during your TC period. The law degree/non-law degree + GDL just proves you have the academic ability to become a solicitor.
Reply 15
Granted it is tough to get a TC, especially within the MC. From what i have been told though from the Freshfields employees, its roughly 50% law degree 50% non-law degree. They often like diversity it offers them within the company. Having half of your trainees having a degree level knowledge of a completely different subject.

According to them, most of what they know now, is learnt during your TC period. The law degree/non-law degree + GDL just proves you have the academic ability to become a solicitor.

Freshfields have got the money to be pay for every trainee to do the GDL if they want to though!

And not just the degree, in your case remember the A Levels. A friend of mine said she got an absolute grilling for her B at A level from an MC and you'll be up against a LOT of people with AAA (44% of Freshfields trainees also went to Oxbridge) so try to do absolutely everything to get those grades.

Given they'll start seeing plenty of A*s on their applications now I wouldn't be shocked to see them up it to AAA as a minimum with something around A*AA/A*A*A being common for successful applicants.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Why do you want to study criminology if you want to work at firms such as Freshfields?

Anyway, I'd suggest doing the GDL if you know you'll be able to fund it regardless of a training contract. Top lawyers have criticised the current undergraduate degrees, preferring the American Postgrad system as they get lawyers with broader academics, rather than being forced into thinking like a lawyer from the start of university. If you can't guarantee it, do the LLB. The positive side to the LLB is you'll learn 5 more subjects than in the GDL :smile:
Reply 17
The general advice is that if you are 100% on going into law, then you should do the traditional law degree and then whatever from there. However in your case it might be beneficial to go via the GDL.

Whose "general advice" is this?

One thing i would say is that you probably shouldn't rely upon a company in the future going to fund you through as i presume the chances of this happening are fairly low unless you are excellent. :smile:

Are you aware of the process under which large firms regularly provide sponsorship to LPC and GDL students?
Reply 18
If you can afford to self - fund the GDL then you should go to the best university possible with the grades you get, it is that simple.
Original post by anaplian
If you can afford to self - fund the GDL then you should go to the best university possible with the grades you get, it is that simple.

The thing is, I won't start he GDL until i have myself a TC. If the firm say they will pay for it, then great, if not (and its a good enough firm) I will probably pay for it myself.

But if I don't get a TC from a decent firm, i probably won't bother doing the GDL, and i will further my studies in the degree subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending