The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Unit 3 12th June 2012 Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usamakhanlodhi
My tip to everyone is to really look at examiner reports in detail.. as they really not only give examples of answers helping you to self mark but provide you with tips on what things to link and examine in particular types of qs for the high range of marks..

Im so scared for this unit as grade boundaries seem very high like 63/72 for an a*.. Also time management is so hard but nothing compared to unit 4

Hiya, do you know where to find the examiners reports, or have a link at all, I'm having trouble finding them! thanks!
Original post by ezioaudi77
Well it's a tough life..you seem to be managing time in unit 4 better than most people, so I don't think you will run out of time in the actual exam.

Yup, you as well right?

Yh Im planning to do a gap year and apply to economics so really need one:smile:
Reply 42
Yh Im planning to do a gap year and apply to economics so really need one:smile:

Awesome, good luck man :smile:
Original post by christacrisp
Hiya, do you know where to find the examiners reports, or have a link at all, I'm having trouble finding them! thanks!

For unit 4 all the examiner reports can be found on edexcel website on the same page as where the papers are.. As for unit 3 all the examiner reports for all papers can be found at same place apart from jan 2012 and I can't find that anywhere either:frown:
For unit 4 all the examiner reports can be found on edexcel website on the same page as where the papers are.. As for unit 3 all the examiner reports for all papers can be found at same place apart from jan 2012 and I can't find that anywhere either:frown:

ok, thank you!!!
Reply 45
all papers can be found at same place apart from jan 2012 and I can't find that anywhere

Here you go :smile:

2012 Jan - 6EC03

2012 Jan - 6EC03

You are a life saver 77 positive reps would not be enough,
Now I have to slip in an economics joke(sorry)
Seriously thanks for the aid of the link I just hope it does not foster into a dependency culture with me:colondollar:

2012 Jan - 6EC03

Seriously thanks for the aid of the link I just hope it does not foster into a dependency culture with me:colondollar:
Reply 48

np :smile:
And (here I go), you were going to receive that aid anyway, I was just quicker than the "East". :tongue:
Reply 49
Well, in general almost everyone is scared before taking an exam, right? But this exam(and unit 4) does have a certain pattern with respect to questions. Also, the grade boundaries are pretty low as well, so that's a relief :biggrin:

What do you mean by 'the certain pattern with respect to questions??'
Do you mean the structure of the questions, or what topics are going to come up????
Reply 50
Original post by hannah_27
What do you mean by 'the certain pattern with respect to questions??'
Do you mean the structure of the questions, or what topics are going to come up????

Sometimes, it can be both.

Question-wise, section A always has 8 MCQs worth 4 marks each and section B has 2 options, with each option having questions a, b, c and d each worth 4, 8, 12 and 16 respectively.

The topics for section B are sometimes predictable. They are mostly mergers, competition in industries, contestablility, etc...

But, I recommend studying all topics and preparing for the worst :smile:
Can someone help me with the KAA and Evaluation of predatory pricing and Limit pricing?
Also, I keep reading in mark schemes that firms can be fined 10% of sales revenue and directors can be sent to prison, what is this for?
Reply 53
Original post by student1231
Also, I keep reading in mark schemes that firms can be fined 10% of sales revenue and directors can be sent to prison, what is this for?

"Under the 1998 Competition Act, the Office of Fair Trading may investigate any firm
thought to be abusing market power at either a local or national scale. Fines of up to
10% of annual turnover can be levied by the Director General of the OFT for each
year of the infringement under the so called β€œChapter II” clauses of the Act."

From the Edexcel Web Guide.
What are synergies?

Also, got a feeling contestability or economic efficiency question is LIKELY to come up in section B of the paper.
Reply 55
Original post by student1231
What are synergies?

Also, got a feeling contestability or economic efficiency question is LIKELY to come up in section B of the paper.

Synergies can be defined as "1+1 = 3" (in Business studies apparently and could POSSIBLY get you a mark if you can't think of anything else - that's according to my teacher LOL) but it simply means that it's better for 2 (or more firms) to merge and produce a greater output than have many firms producing smaller quantities. <-- that sort of idea ; also, synergies also signify the potential benefits of a merger/takeover, i.e. higher profits

I bet you Β£10 that contestability WILL come up! :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mafranc
Synergies can be defined as "1+1 = 3" (in Business studies apparently and could POSSIBLY get you a mark if you can't think of anything else - that's according to my teacher LOL) but it simply means that it's better for 2 (or more firms) to merge and produce a greater output than have many firms producing smaller quantities. <-- that sort of idea ; also, synergies also signify the potential benefits of a merger/takeover, i.e. higher profits

I bet you Β£10 that contestability WILL come up! :P

Thanks, Yeah im pretty sure too that contestability will come up. Its either that or a question to do with economic efficiency following a merger. Pricing and non-pricing strategies has been coming up a lot so dont think they will ask about it again. Although, edexcel are a bit dodgy.
np :smile:
And (here I go), you were going to receive that aid anyway, I was just quicker than the "East". :tongue:

I actually loled at that:biggrin:.. I just hope it isnt tied
So how are u feeling about this exam? What do u think will come up?

My teacher put all the topics in every paper in a grid trying to predict stuff and she said con testability and anti competitive behaviour.. but Im scared they might throw in a question about monopoly and resource allocation:confused:
How do you find the AVC on the diagram for the shut down of a firm in the short run?!
Reply 59
I actually loled at that:biggrin:.. I just hope it isnt tied
So how are u feeling about this exam? What do u think will come up?

My teacher put all the topics in every paper in a grid trying to predict stuff and she said con testability and anti competitive behaviour.. but Im scared they might throw in a question about monopoly and resource allocation:confused:

It isn't :tongue:
Feeling pretty okay about this exam...much better than unit 4 of course!!
Contestability might come up, it didn't come up in recently and as far as I can tell, the last time contestability came up as a proper question was in January 2011, in section B for 12 marks. Long overdue huh?

Also one of my teachers said we need to provide more attention on PPPs and PFIs. He said he had "dreamt" this would come up :biggrin: Actually come to think of it, it hasn't come up as well (As far as I can recall) and this may be tested.

Quick Reply

Latest