The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Unit 3 12th June 2012 (Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by annabel1994
Hmm, in that case do you think it's too risky? As it is, I haven't revised sino-soviet because there's just no way I'm answering that question, but I've got peaceful coexistence and the arms race pretty much done.. Yeah it's probably too risky not to revise détente, but it's here does seem to be a pattern!

I probably will focus on two of the more than the others, but I'm not going to completely ignore the other two, just in case an absolutely horrible question comes up on the ones I've revised. I'll probably focus on peaceful coexistance and arms race and then just learn the key dates in sino-soviet relations and detente just so that I'm not screwed if I don't like the other questions.
Reply 381
Original post by zxh800
You know you mentioned the influence of Laud/Wentworth before. What do you think they can ask about that?

Something along the lines of 'The hostility felt towards the King by the long parliament (or general population) was due to the influence of his advisers' To what extent do you agree?

I'm not sure about how they'd phrase it, but basically asking whether it was the advisers that made Charles unpoplar.
Reply 382
Also doing the 1629-67 module; my girlfriend seems fairly confident that Part A will be on the Civil War itself or Personal Rule, while Part B is supposedly going to be focused on side-taking. She's completely skipped out Cromwell in her revision, and I'm wondering whether to take that risk too in order to really nail down Personal Rule - religion is the nightmare topic for me.
Reply 383
Original post by Olihh
Unbelievably nervous for this exam! Does anyone doing From Kaiser to Fuhrer have any sort of idea as to what the focus of a question on the Second Reich is likely to be?

Also hoping nothing on education, women or extent of Nazi opposition comes up...

So glad i'm not the only one out there who is stressing like crazy about this exam. This thread is providing therapy/ procrastination material!
Everyone seems to agree that there's a high chance the 2nd Reich will come up. If so, question would probably be either where the power lay; how those in power kept hold of it; or what the main threats were to the 'status quo'.
My teacher seems to think there is a high chance the final solution will come up as it's considered such an emotive/important part of the syllabus that they like testing it.
Whatever happens, I just can't wait for this exam to be over!!
Original post by zmian10
How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management of the USAs cold war diplomacy with the USSR in the 1970s?

The way the questions are worded completely throw me off, but if its asking for causes and achievements of detente i think it you should have 6 paragraphs (excl intro and conc)

1. The threat of war
2. USSR Needs
3. USA Needs
4. Ospolitiks
5. Oil Crisis
6. Soviet Economy

Anyone feel free to correct me if i have misunderstood what the question is asking me!!!
Reply 385
Original post by flying_ifan
I think that the 1969 Ussuri River dispute (Although more a result than a cause of the Sino-Soviet split) and the Taiwan Straits Crises are also relevant here.

The Taiwan Straits crises in particular are good for the whole triangular diplomacy aspect since its an example of "the tail wagging the dog" - smaller allies affecting the overall policies of the two superpowers.

The personality notes above are great too, and I agree that sometimes its hard to separate personalities from ideology - although maybe a good essay point could be to mention the fact that many personalities were driven by ideology in itself?

I've never really understood Taiwan properly, when it's mentioned is it referring to the first (1954/55) or the second (1958) and was the issue that China wanted to invade but the USSR would only help them if they were attacked by Taiwan?

Also where does the USA come into this, did they threaten to use nuclear missles?

cheeeers
Reply 386
Original post by blahblahblah.
The way the questions are worded completely throw me off, but if its asking for causes and achievements of detente i think it you should have 6 paragraphs (excl intro and conc)

1. The threat of war
2. USSR Needs
3. USA Needs
4. Ospolitiks
5. Oil Crisis
6. Soviet Economy

Anyone feel free to correct me if i have misunderstood what the question is asking me!!!

Yeah I would answer that in a similar way. It's basically asking whether or not Detente benefited America's relationship with the USA. However, seeing as we have less than an hour to do that question 6 paragraphs would be impossible for me to do. I would structure it as agree and disagree.
Original post by ruth_1994
So glad i'm not the only one out there who is stressing like crazy about this exam. This thread is providing therapy/ procrastination material!
Everyone seems to agree that there's a high chance the 2nd Reich will come up. If so, question would probably be either where the power lay; how those in power kept hold of it; or what the main threats were to the 'status quo'.
My teacher seems to think there is a high chance the final solution will come up as it's considered such an emotive/important part of the syllabus that they like testing it.
Whatever happens, I just can't wait for this exam to be over!!

Do you by any chance know what came up last year? And with regards to the final solution cropping up, do you mean in part A or B? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ECU93
Yeah I would answer that in a similar way. It's basically asking whether or not Detente benefited America's relationship with the USA. However, seeing as we have less than an hour to do that question 6 paragraphs would be impossible for me to do. I would structure it as agree and disagree.

I never knew we had to agree ans disagree!!!! I thought we were only expected to argue how Detente would be useful! Btw do you know if that Q is referring to the 1st Detente Q or the 2nd in the textbook?
Reply 389
Original post by WH1892
I've never really understood Taiwan properly, when it's mentioned is it referring to the first (1954/55) or the second (1958) and was the issue that China wanted to invade but the USSR would only help them if they were attacked by Taiwan?

Also where does the USA come into this, did they threaten to use nuclear missles?

cheeeers

Basically, the USSR vowed to come to the aid of China (implicitly saying they would use nukes) while the US sent their (9th?) naval fleet to the straits and promised Taiwan protection.

EDIT: And both crises are similar: started by Mao shelling Quemoy and Matsu and asking for concessions, although some argue that it was also in order to arouse a sense of national spirit in the Chinese. I usually refer to both crises in conjunction :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I know this is a silly question, but anyone have any predictions for Part A OF Cold War?
Reply 391
I know this is a silly question, but anyone have any predictions for Part A OF Cold War?

My history teacher seems to think peaceful co-existence is going to come up. I don't know why, but I'm praying that it does!!
Reply 392
I never knew we had to agree ans disagree!!!! I thought we were only expected to argue how Detente would be useful! Btw do you know if that Q is referring to the 1st Detente Q or the 2nd in the textbook?

The way I see it, we can be asked two main types of question on detente:
How it came about. This would probably something like "to what extent was detente caused by Soviet economic factors", in which case you'd first argue for economic factors and then move on to other ones: consolidation of positions, US experience in Vietnam, fear of nuclear war etc.
To what extent it was successful. This is less likely to come up since it is practically what came up last year - it was something like "to what extent did it ease tensions". This would certainly be argumentative. You'd have to explore successes (SALT, Helsinki, cultural exchanges, trade) and failures (Afghanistan invasion, weaknesses of agreements, spending not really decreased, 1956 Hungarian Uprising etc,)

I think that if we get a detente question it is more likely to be to do with its causes.

Btw - where do most of you place the 1973 Oil Crisis? To me it seems to be as much a cause, as a success and also a failure, depending on how you look at it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ECU93
My history teacher seems to think peaceful co-existence is going to come up. I don't know why, but I'm praying that it does!!

I'd LOVEEEE for that to come up.
Reply 394
Original post by ECU93

Me too!
I think that if it does come up it'll certainly be from a different angle as it did last time. Does anyone remember what the thaw question was in 2010?
How it came about. This would probably something like "to what extent was detente caused by Soviet economic factors", in which case you'd first argue for economic factors and then move on to other ones: consolidation of positions, US experience in Vietnam, fear of nuclear war etc.
To what extent it was successful. This is less likely to come up since it is practically what came up last year - it was something like "to what extent did it ease tensions". This would certainly be argumentative. You'd have to explore successes (SALT, Helsinki, cultural exchanges, trade) and failures (Afghanistan invasion, weaknesses of agreements, spending not really decreased, 1956 Hungarian Uprising etc,)

I think that if we get a detente question it is more likely to be to do with its causes.

Btw - where do most of you place the 1973 Oil Crisis? To me it seems to be as much a cause, as a success and also a failure, depending on how you look at it!

'How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management of the USAs cold war diplomacy with the USSR in the 1970s?' Would you say that Q is referring to the first or 2nd Detente Q?

In class we were taught the oil crisis would come under causes of Detente..
Reply 396

I use it as a cause more than anything. I don't really see how it can be seen as a failure within the time period?
Reply 397
'How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management of the USAs cold war diplomacy with the USSR in the 1970s?' Would you say that Q is referring to the first or 2nd Detente Q?

In class we were taught the oil crisis would come under causes of Detente..

I'd say that would refer to the second Q - and it would certainly be useful to include the conflict between neo-conservatives (critical of detente) and liberals (more supportive).

Original post by ECU93
I use it as a cause more than anything. I don't really see how it can be seen as a failure within the time period?

With detente, I find time periods really hard to manage. The text book certainly talks about detente being solely 1970's, but I've read books saying it really started as early as the mid 60s.

Even if you say detente started early 70s, the crisis occurred only a year after the supposed diplomatic success of SALT. And not allowing the USSR into negotiations and activating their nuclear response mechanism was certainly a hostile way to manage it.

Even if not a failure, it certainly shows how detente seemed to apply to some aspects of the Cold War (e.g nuclear weapons etc.) but not others (e.g Third World etc.)

Do you see why I find it a bit hard to place?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 398
Original post by quaveralien
Do you by any chance know what came up last year? And with regards to the final solution cropping up, do you mean in part A or B? :smile:

June 2011 Questions:
To what extent was the effective government of Germany in the years 1919–33
handicapped by the nature of the Weimar Constitution?

To what extent did the Nazi Regime face serious opposition within Germany during
the years 1939–45?

Part B:
To what extent was the nature of the Schlieffen Plan responsible for the outbreak of a
general European war in August 1914?

How far do you agree that Hitler’s Regime was a ‘consensus dictatorship’ (Source 4,
line 36)?

I meant part A regarding the final solution, have only learnt the WW1 controversy! :smile:
Reply 399
I'd say that would refer to the second Q - and it would certainly be useful to include the conflict between neo-conservatives (critical of detente) and liberals (more supportive).

With detente, I find time periods really hard to manage. The text book certainly talks about detente being solely 1970's, but I've read books saying it really started as early as the mid 60s.

Even if you say detente started early 70s, the crisis occurred only a year after the supposed diplomatic success of SALT. And not allowing the USSR into negotiations and activating their nuclear response mechanism was certainly a hostile way to manage it.

Even if not a failure, it certainly shows how detente seemed to apply to some aspects of the Cold War (e.g nuclear weapons etc.) but not others (e.g Third World etc.)

Do you see why I find it a bit hard to place?

Yes, I see exactly what you mean. I'm trying to section it in regards to what the exam will ask me. The exam board considers 1970 to be the start of Detente. SALT did occur before the Oil Crisis but that doesn't meant that it didn't contribute to the other 'successes' (Helsinki etc). I'm not saying that The Oil Crisis was the only cause for Detente, but it made a contribution to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending