The Student Room Group

Why are "A" grades considered mediocre?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadab786ahmed
Same, in my English Top Set we have finished sitting it all (English Language) this year (Year 10). Only two of us got A*s overall, a few As and majority Bs and some less. I think this is one of the only GCSEs where an A* is credible :smile:

Yeah I definitely agree! :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
Yeah I definitely agree! :smile:

And other languages and art :wink: I mean who gets 97% in the whole course for art! :P
Do people actually try at GCSE? most people I know, including my self only did a tiny bit of revision the night before the exams... and get A or B. If you were a good student and only got an A, then yes I would consider it very mediocre.
And other languages and art :wink: I mean who gets 97% in the whole course for art! :P

Oh I know! I used to love drawing, I was obsessed and would do it everyday. Then I took GCSE art and near the end it felt more like a chore! I really wanted an A*, but I've got no hope in hell so I'll say goodbye to that :wink:
Original post by Lucy96
Oh I know! I used to love drawing, I was obsessed and would do it everyday. Then I took GCSE art and near the end it felt more like a chore! I really wanted an A*, but I've got no hope in hell so I'll say goodbye to that :wink:

It becomes tedious and *un*enjoyable... Have you got any GCSEs ( I'm in year 10, I have two)...
It becomes tedious and *un*enjoyable... Have you got any GCSEs ( I'm in year 10, I have two)...

Yeah! I've got 3 final grades at the moment, in English Language(A*), Core Science(A) and Product Design(A*). And then I have like over 50% of a final grade in a few other subjects like History, RE and ICT :smile: You? :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
Yeah! I've got 3 final grades at the moment, in English Language(A*), Core Science(A) and Product Design(A*). And then I have like over 50% of a final grade in a few other subjects like History, RE and ICT :smile: You? :smile:

Well done! I've got History (A*) and Media (A) and then by the end of year ten I should have:
English Language (A* hopefully)
Maths (A*!)
I sat triple science exams for 35% of GCSEs (A*s hopefully)
Photography (A)
Geography exam... (A* again hopefully)
And then I've done some c/w for French and that :P
Well done! I've got History (A*) and Media (A) and then by the end of year ten I should have:
English Language (A* hopefully)
Maths (A*!)
I sat triple science exams for 35% of GCSEs (A*s hopefully)
Photography (A)
Geography exam... (A* again hopefully)
And then I've done some c/w for French and that :P

Thank you! Wow you're doing really well, congratulations :biggrin: Good luck with year 11, not that you'll need it with them grades hehe :smile:
Well, I don't really think that's the major consensus...however personally, I wouldn't be THAT happy with all As, but that just depends on your own personal targets, and what you are happy with.
It all depends on the person. For me, I consider A* top, A mediocre, and B terrible, but that's because I only get B's in English, everything else is A*, with a few A's. But for someone who gets all C's, an A is fantastic. It's all about potential, which nobody seems to understand here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by GeneralOJB
It all depends on the person. For me, I consider A* top, A mediocre, and B terrible, but that's because I only get B's in English, everything else is A*, with a few A's. But for someone who gets all C's, an A is fantastic. It's all about potential, which nobody seems to understand here.

I really get your point to be honest. For example, someone is supposedly a Maths genius, if they end up with an A for GCSE, of course they are going to be crushed, and consider it mediocre.

As you said, it's all about potential. If you have potential to get all A*s of COURSE you will consider an A nothing special. If you are a B grade student, of course an A is fantastic.

Put it into example, for German I am an A* student (normally). In one of our orals I 'only' got an A, and to be honest, when I know I am an A* student in that subject, I was pretty pissed off. But others are like, 'OMG HOW CAN YOU BE SO UPSET! AN A IS AMAZING'. Not being rude, but a lot of them were B/C students, so of course it was amazing in their eyes.

On the other hand, Music where I always get Cs, an A would be a miracle.
Original post by Lucy96
Thank you! Wow you're doing really well, congratulations :biggrin: Good luck with year 11, not that you'll need it with them grades hehe :smile:

Thanks, but everyone needs some luck :biggrin: good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by Coke1
I really get your point to be honest. For example, someone is supposedly a Maths genius, if they end up with an A for GCSE, of course they are going to be crushed, and consider it mediocre.

As you said, it's all about potential. If you have potential to get all A*s of COURSE you will consider an A nothing special. If you are a B grade student, of course an A is fantastic.

Put it into example, for German I am an A* student (normally). In one of our orals I 'only' got an A, and to be honest, when I know I am an A* student in that subject, I was pretty pissed off. But others are like, 'OMG HOW CAN YOU BE SO UPSET! AN A IS AMAZING'. Not being rude, but a lot of them were B/C students, so of course it was amazing in their eyes.

On the other hand, Music where I always get Cs, an A would be a miracle.

This :biggrin:
Reply 113
only because ppl manage to get 8-9 A*s nowadays. i got 3A*s 4As and 3Bs which is poor for my school but overall its probably not too bad (i think).
Thanks, but everyone needs some luck :biggrin: good luck to you too! :smile:

Haha very true :smile: Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Lucy96
Haha very true :smile: Thank you :biggrin:

No problemo! :biggrin: do you study any languages?
No problemo! :biggrin: do you study any languages?

No sadly not, I was told to take Spanish in year 10 but I can't handle the speaking exam, last time I did it my mind went blank and I was just sat there whilst my teacher looked at me, too much stress for me to handle haha! Though I wish I had as it's always a good GCSE to have! And you do French? :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
No sadly not, I was told to take Spanish in year 10 but I can't handle the speaking exam, last time I did it my mind went blank and I was just sat there whilst my teacher looked at me, too much stress for me to handle haha! Though I wish I had as it's always a good GCSE to have! And you do French? :smile:

Aaah, I see! Yeah I'm doing French, want to take it to A Level :smile: might even do my course with French in uni... Or some time in France :biggrin:
Aaah, I see! Yeah I'm doing French, want to take it to A Level :smile: might even do my course with French in uni... Or some time in France :biggrin:

Oooh lovely! :biggrin: That'd be great! :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
Oooh lovely! :biggrin: That'd be great! :smile:

I'd love that :P

Quick Reply

Latest