Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

money issue weighing on mind

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014

I recently completed a sponsored charity run with my sixth form,initially it was to raise awareness but we still had to raise money which i did not mind, they said at least a minimum of £30-40 for everyone as we are aged 16 and most of us do not have jobs.
    A few weeks later after the entry of the run, we received a message that we have to raise a minimum of £100 each; whilst i am all for charity and believe in raising as much as possible i just feel the £100 is a stretch too far as most of my friends donated £1 each which i am extremely greatful.

I have only raised £55 including money i made from selling some of my clothes on Ebay- i can't seem to top it up any further.I feel like i will be disappointing the fund raise but at the same time i know i can't over spend my money which i need for bus fare and my basic essentials as i don't have a job.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I recently completed a sponsored charity run with my sixth form,initially it was to raise awareness but we still had to raise money which i did not mind, they said at least a minimum of £30-40 for everyone as we are aged 16 and most of us do not have jobs.
    A few weeks later after the entry of the run, we received a message that we have to raise a minimum of £100 each; whilst i am all for charity and believe in raising as much as possible i just feel the £100 is a stretch too far as most of my friends donated £1 each which i am extremely greatful.

I have only raised £55 including money i made from selling some of my clothes on Ebay- i can't seem to top it up any further.I feel like i will be disappointing the fund raise but at the same time i know i can't over spend my money which i need for bus fare and my basic essentials as i don't have a job.
    I think it's a bit unfair that you were led to believe you had to raise £30 to £40 and then you get hit with having to raise £100. I would explain the situation to the organisers and highlight the financial hardship it is causing you. I'm sure they will understand and if they don't, well they shouldn't have mislead people in the first place.

Having said that, £100 isn't that difficult to raise. I did a skydive for charity and I had to raise a minmum of £400 and I think I raised about £600 just through family and friends. I would normally advise you to set up a Just Giving page which is free and advertise on facebook for sponsors but that's usually best done before you have done the event and not after.

If you don't think you can raise it and you have exhausted every possible fund-raising avenue, have a word with the organisers.

(Original post by advent2)
    I think it's a bit unfair that you were led to believe you had to raise £30 to £40 and then you get hit with having to raise £100. I would explain the situation to the organisers and highlight the financial hardship it is causing you. I'm sure they will understand and if they don't, well they shouldn't have mislead people in the first place.

Having said that, £100 isn't that difficult to raise. I did a skydive for charity and I had to raise a minmum of £400 and I think I raised about £600 just through family and friends. I would normally advise you to set up a Just Giving page which is free and advertise on facebook for sponsors but that's usually best done before you have done the event and not after.

If you don't think you can raise it and you have exhausted every possible fund-raising avenue, have a word with the organisers.
    (Original post by advent2)
    I think it's a bit unfair that you were led to believe you had to raise £30 to £40 and then you get hit with having to raise £100. I would explain the situation to the organisers and highlight the financial hardship it is causing you. I'm sure they will understand and if they don't, well they shouldn't have mislead people in the first place.*

£600
    thats amaze
    The group was told to aim for £3000 ...I will definitely try a few more people before i give up yet.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    £600
    thats amaze
    The group was told to aim for £3000 ...I will definitely try a few more people before i give up yet.
    I tried to think out of the box and approached a few businesses but had no success although Liverpool football club did respond to me and they basically said they would normally consider a donation but they had already donated to the charity I was raising money for.

It's going to be difficult getting big time sponsors on board for small charity events but I guess you have nothing to lose by trying.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you do these kind of things for charity?

If someone said that they are going skydiving I would just say enjoy yourself because it is amazing, where does donating money go into it?

I understand running ridiculous amounts as that is incredibly hard but skydiving? really? That requires no effort and is just so fun.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when charities make you raise a minimum or make you pay an entry fee. At the risk of sounding harsh, they should be grateful for anything. It's not as if people are loaded nowadays and can give loads to charity. £55 is an amazing amount to raise but by setting a precedent, they're making you feel like you're not as good, which is definitely not true.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    How do you do these kind of things for charity?

If someone said that they are going skydiving I would just say enjoy yourself because it is amazing, where does donating money go into it?

I understand running ridiculous amounts as that is incredibly hard but skydiving? really? That requires no effort and is just so fun.
    A lot of people have a fear of heights so skydiving would be seen as a huge challenge.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.