The Student Room Group

Why is Kate Middleton adored yet Cheryl Cole is loathed?

Cheryl came from a council house in Newcastle and made success and fame whereas Kate's claim to fame is meeting the future King at uni and clinging to him for all she could.

Kate cuts ribbons

Cheryl works her socks off whilst taking abuse from all corners (chav etc)

p.s. I'm certaintly not a fan of CC by any means
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cheryl was adored until the whole move to Xfactor USA and axed thing. She went pretty rapidly from national treasure to national embarrassment and I don't think she'll recover from it.

Kate was part of a royal wedding, one of the best in recent years, dresses impeccably, seems down-to-earth and likeable, is a "commoner" who married a prince which is like a "fairytale" and is a symbol of national pride via the monarchy as well as a potential future Queen.

Edit: I would just like to add that I am a fan of both women and actually have quite a lot of respect for them. But the question is about why you think Kate Middleton is adored yet Cheryl Cole is loathed. I don't think Cheryl Cole necessarily is loathed but she has had a substantial fall from popularity since leaving the X factor and the whole X factor USA fiasco and her life isn't as tumultuous as it once was either so there isn't as much tabloid coverage of her. Kate Middleton, on the other hand, has boomed in popularity since the Royal Wedding and is now a future Queen, so the two can't really compare.
(edited 11 years ago)
I wouldn't really say Cheryl Cole is loathed, although I do find the huge amount of admiration Kate gets to be a little bewildering.
Reply 3
compare their most famous outfits:

cheryl_cole_x_factor_usa_auditions_la.jpg
img-kate-middleton-wedding-dress_075548914142.jpg
Original post by Ano1
I wonder

Typical Daily Mail thinking.

Chose two photos in complete contrast. I'm sure there are pictures of Kate drunk and Cheryl glamorous.

Awkward..
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't like either of them
Original post by Miracle Day

Chose two photos in complete contrast. I'm sure there are pictures of Kate drunk and Cheryl glamorous.

Oh hello Kate

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HaPgRS4tWl0/TZcxL4m9kNI/AAAAAAAAA9U/SG7ZpUG2kxk/s1600/williamkateringMTX_450x300.jpg

:rofl: Indeed :p:

Reply 7
Original post by Miracle Day

Well if you see my above post you'll see their most famous outfits compared.

Most people were critical of Cheryl's outfit and said she had bad taste.

The only criticisms of Kate's dress were the Madonna-esque boobs and the fact that Pippa sort of outshone her.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
:rofl: Indeed :p:

Thanks. I can't upload images on my ipad haha
Reply 9
one is hot..the other puts on wayyy too much make up
I overheard a conversation the other day in which someone said that Kate Middleton is a great role model for girls. That made me feel sad.

As for Cheryl Cole, it seems that she's a product of the British thing of building up a celebrity only to knock them back down (badly). The amount of hate that is aimed her way is pretty astonishing. I'm not a fan of her music but geez, at least she's worked for what she's got. She just can't win.
Reply 11
Kate gets to do the royal thing of smiling, waving and never saying much, making her much more mysterious. Cheryl has to talk about trivial crap and sell us hairwash, making her seem mundane.
Reply 12
Both the Middletons are ****ing leeches.
Reply 13
Original post by Fusion
Cheryl came from a council house in Newcastle and made success and fame whereas Kate's claim to fame is meeting the future King at uni and clinging to him for all she could.

Kate cuts ribbons

Cheryl works her socks off whilst taking abuse from all corners (chav etc)

p.s. I'm certaintly not a fan of CC by any means

I was coming here to say "You really don't want to compare them, do you?" but I get where you're coming from.

I love Cheryl. I was having this discussion with a friend a couple of days ago. I admire her. Granted she is no Adele but she works hard and there are worse singers than her around.
I really don't understand why so many people find it funny to make fun of her and saying she is a chav but how many chavs actually get out of their **** or work hard to get anywhere? And how many singers actually reach the top?

The answer is not many so kudos to her. I didn't like her first album but her second album was brilliant and I can't wait to hear the third.
Original post by Joinedup
Kate gets to do the royal thing of smiling, waving and never saying much, making her much more mysterious. Cheryl has to talk about trivial crap and sell us hairwash, making her seem mundane.

She's actually very approachable. My friend in school talks to her on twitter (she's a fan) and they have sent hundreds of DMs to eachother.
Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor has a certain degree of class, education and refinement that Cheryl Cole doesn't. She doesn't pretend to be talented, like Cheryl Cole does. At the same time, however, people believe they can relate to her; she's a 'commoner' (albeit a very upper-middle class one - I believe she attended Marlborough, didn't she?) that has entered the most socially exclusive institution in the world - people seem to like that story.

The only reason Cheryl Cole is still around is because she's considered attractive. Her solo career hasn't gone spectacularly well, and since she left the X-Factor it appears she's rather gone off the radar. Her singles certainly haven't fared as well, to my knowledge.

The only attribute that Cheryl has that Catherine doesn't easily trump is a conviction for assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Cheryl Cole assaulted a bathroom attendant and Kate Middleton didn't?
Reply 17
Cheryl might be hard working and blablabla, but i see kate as a more well rounded genuine person
Reply 18
The Duchess of Cambridge seems more genuine, and in a way less like a normal Duchess, as she still has her 'normal, commoner' roots, and keeps that, passing it on to the Duke I think, which will help the royal family connect with the public even further than it does now. And also, as much as Kate does not have to work, she uses that time to spend with charities, which must benefit them a lot.

I have always not like Cheryl (she doesn't use Cole anymore apparently), and recently she has actually come up to be quite rude. I think it was in a DM article, I read I think it was on the Graham Norton Show she was asked if she had kissed Simon Cowell, and she said something like, 'I can tell you what he can kiss '. Was there any need for that? I am by no means a Simon fan, by the way. Also, i seem to notice, she has made a few enemies she only a few months to years ago she would have been fine with.
Reply 19
Kate Middleton has never been a 'commoner'. She was part of the upper-middle class. A commoner isn't someone with a £30m business.

Kate got her fame and fortune (she had the fortune already though) by meeting the future king at uni and somehow she's this amazing role model who's worked really hard to go to the Bahamas's in a £5k dress and wave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending