The Student Room Group

Why don't Bankers like Canary Wharf?

OK, so I was attending a networking event and met with a bunch of Deutsche bankers. They were all saying that they were so pleased that their banks offices are in the city as opposed to Canary Wharf, they said that for one thing, it cuts about 40 mins off their commutes.

Is this the general feeling with bankers? If so, why the preference for the City over CW?
Not really, and depends what you mean by "bankers".

I for one get the impression Canary wharf isn't favoured due to percieved danger. Seems like every week someone has a new story about some commuter getting stabbed or mugged.
It's very far away from the actual 'life' of London. Unless your idea of life is hanging out in a plastic clone pub surrounded by the back office hoard.
Reply 3
Pres_Ben has got it spot on, CW is dead in the evenings and has no buzz after work (and is like he says full of the BO plebs), everyone just wants to get out as soon as possible, whilst the City has a great atmosphere after work and has the nicest pubs and bars in town.
Original post by Tara_99
Pres_Ben has got it spot on, CW is dead in the evenings and has no buzz after work (and is like he says full of the BO plebs), everyone just wants to get out as soon as possible, whilst the City has a great atmosphere after work and has the nicest pubs and bars in town.

Not sure if the City has the nicest pubs and bars in town... but it all depends on what you're after.
Reply 5
Original post by President_Ben
Not sure if the City has the nicest pubs and bars in town... but it all depends on what you're after.

Since my last thread asking about some places in the City to go to, I have found quite a few top places. Take a visit down Boisdale (i'm sure you have been before) There isn't much time to visit other places around London, so I'm probably not in the best position to compare! I'm sure there are much nice retreats around.
Reply 6
Original post by David9
OK, so I was attending a networking event and met with a bunch of Deutsche bankers. They were all saying that they were so pleased that their banks offices are in the city as opposed to Canary Wharf, they said that for one thing, it cuts about 40 mins off their commutes.

Is this the general feeling with bankers? If so, why the preference for the City over CW?

Did you really think that at a DB networking event, they would go around saying, the City is horrible, I wish I worked in CW? Not really a good pitch is it?
Ask bankers in CW at a networking event what they prefer.
Reply 7
Original post by KLL
Did you really think that at a DB networking event, they would go around saying, the City is horrible, I wish I worked in CW? Not really a good pitch is it?
Ask bankers in CW at a networking event what they prefer.

Fair point, although this was after the networking event. I met the guys (of a group of 8 or 10 or so, they were all guys) in a formal capacity at the event and they invited me to a pub with them afterwards.

At the networking event, everyone seemed to be giving the official company line whereas in the pub they all seemed to let their guard down with me e.g. they were complaining about the hours and office politics. They certainly weren't giving me a hard sell, more providing a realistic and honest opinion on what IB was really like. I can't work out whether that is a good thing with regards to my chances, but I managed to get a couple of them to add me as linkedin contacts...
Reply 8
1. Canary Wharf is soulless. If you go through it on the DLR it looks like a computer generated city from a Sci Fi film, or an architect's model.

2. All the people who work there are in related industries and it's cut off from the rest of London so you can't meet your real friends for a drink after work.

3. It takes a long time get there from North or West London, which is where a many people on good incomes would prefer to live.
Original post by wamwig
1. Canary Wharf is soulless. If you go through it on the DLR it looks like a computer generated city from a Sci Fi film, or an architect's model.

2. All the people who work there are in related industries and it's cut off from the rest of London so you can't meet your real friends for a drink after work.

3. It takes a long time get there from North or West London, which is where a many people on good incomes would prefer to live.

1. I don't think it does look like a computer generate city. Their is an eclectic mix of architecture: glass, stone, brick and steel, which has been laid out in the best possible way to avoid that 'architect model' feeling.

2. Their are four buses which go in and out of the Wharf. They enable you the opportunity to travel through/to almost any other borough in London. Their are also a great selection commercial and privately owned bars/ restaurants to meet for a drink along the canal.

3. I live in North London. It takes two buses 40 minutes to get the Canary Wharf. If this mode of transport is not sufficient then there are other means i.e. train - bus, train - DLR, DLR, Train and/ or just bus.
Reply 10
Canary Wharf is on the DLR, which is generally harder to get to than most places in the City plus 'Cityboy' sounds a lot better than 'Canary Wharf lad'.
I think most bankers dont give a crap about where in london they work.... as long as they still have a job... cant be picky with all these cuts...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending